Why is 'sati' not in the translation?

This phrase (& its opposite) is appears in a few places in the suttas (mostly SN, some MN, AN10.92 and here and there in KN):
imasmiṃ sati idaṃ hoti, imassuppādā idaṃ uppajjati
(imasmiṃ asati idaṃ na hoti, imassa nirodhā idaṃ nirujjhati)

Translations:
Chalmers (MN38): This being so, that comes about; if this arises, so does that;
IBHorner: If this is, that comes to be; from the arising of this, that arises,
Ñanamoli & Bodhi: When this exists, that comes to be; with the arising of this, that arises.
Upalavanna: Thus when this is present, this happens. When this arises, this arise
Thanissaro: When this is, that is. From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
Ireland (KN:Iti1.1): This being, that is; from the arising of this, that arises

Analysing the equational sentence: imasmiṃ sati idaṃ hoti
imasmiṃ - locative singular (masculine)
idaṃ - nominative/accusative singular (neuter)
sati - nominative/vocative singular (feminine)

Just curious and being patient with this.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Sylvester.

Santa rings a bell.
Can’t recall where exactly, but on Page 33 of Gair & Karunatillake there’s the Present Tense paradigm for atthi (3rd person singular): santi (3rd person plural).

Need more Pali lessons.
(But just stumbled upon some guided meditations that really speak to my heart…)

3 Likes

And I found it in Gair & Karunatillake Page 138.
2. sati AND sante IN LOCATIVE ABSOLUTES
atthi ‘be, exist’ has a present participle santa. This has two locative forms, sati and sante. In the locative absolute, sati is most often used, but sante appears when the sense is impersonal, i.e. when the absolute has no specific subject, either expressed or implied.

Uh-uh… now I remember where I got lost in my Pali lessons - the genitive and locative absolutes… No worries, just need to listen to them again (and again, etc.)

PS - It is a little bit unnerving.
I just happened to come back to my workplace and happened to flip open G&K and it was on page 138. Happened a number of times with suttas too, and hence I decided that to buy the cheap Pali versions was worthwhile. (Thanks to http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4636)

1 Like