Why monks filter water? What about microorganisms?

Why would they? you would just turn it inside out and rinse it in whatever body of water they came from.

1 Like

Oke, then it is oke :innocent:

This video is relevant to the discussion here, despite however not providing a specific answer to the matter:

:anjal:

1 Like

Is it needed to rinse the cloth into something like a pond or stream?
If not, what will happen to the beings in the cloth, who can live only in the water?

1 Like

This rule comes to mind, as a result of a monk dying of thirst after he got in a fight with his travelling companion and didn’t have his own water filter!

pts-vp-pli2.119
This will affect people’s confidence …” after rebuking him … the Buddha gave a teaching and addressed the monks:

“If you’re traveling with a monk and he asks to borrow your water filter, you should lend it. If you don’t, you commit an offense of wrong conduct. But you should not travel without a water filter. If you do, you commit an offense of wrong conduct. If there is no water filter or strainer, you should determine a corner of your robe: ‘I’ll drink after filtering with this.’”

2 Likes

So we still have to carry them around when going out? Even for like house dana? When there’s basically no chance to use in countries with ready access of clean water?

1 Like

Just determine the corner of your robe and you will be fine. But no, there is no exception. Best to consult with your teacher and do as they suggest.

3 Likes

Even more difficult if you actually have something you use and determine for filtering water inside the monastery (as in my case). What if it’s wet?
I can’t bring myself to determine my actual water strainer as requisite cloth and the corner of my robe as a water strainer :thinking:

1 Like