Why ‘thoughts’ are not part of the things we consider as self?

Thanks

A few of the independent Taishō āgamāḥ here contain 尋伺, which seems like an adaption of something like vitakkavicāra, but it seems it is a rarer Chinese compound. It only happens 3 times total in all of the text uploaded to SuttaCentral. Looking into the Chinese might help clarify the Pāli, might. Sometimes it has the opposite effect.

There is probably a more-oft used word that I don’t know used for the rest of the times.

蟻喻經 (Vammikasutta) T 95
大集法門經 (Sangītisūtra, also in DN & DA parallel, I’m looking through DA to see how it renders vitakka/vicāra atm) T 12
身毛喜豎經 (“Body-hair pregnant straightness sūtra?” What are these characters supposed to read as @James?) T 757

1 Like

If you are referring to above ,
I will try to find out .
身body (shen)
毛hair (mao)
喜joy (xi)
豎stand straight (shu)
經Sutta (jing)

I have not read the Sutta.
Probably , it means ,
In the jhāna , One developed a kind of jhāna and experience certain degree of Joy which causes the body hair to stand up straight .

I hope this help.

1 Like

The Great Goosebumps Sūtra

1 Like

Here is synonym Chinese characters 尋伺.

尋 vitakka 尋 / 尋思 / 思维 /
心的安止

伺 vicara 伺 / 伺察 / 熟虑 / 观

1 Like

Body hair is also said to stand up straight in a fright. But this mentioned joy, so more likely to be related to joy or an ecstatic state.

With metta

Probably rapture or piti
is the right word .

2 Likes

Apparently 身毛喜豎經 is the Mahāsīhanāda Sutta (MN 12)? (Apologies for off-topic tangent)

(http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NcQgRtSIQfAJ:myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~lsn46/Tipitaka/Sutta/Majjhima/maps-MN-Bodhi.html+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca)

1 Like