YARVVI Chronicles: V&V, Vitakka = directed-thoughts, Vicāra=Evaluation (of said Vitakka)

I don’t see a large disparity with this translation verse directed thought & evaluation.

As I understand it both translations are saying the same thing just in a different mannor of wording(s), outcome would be same.
My understanding:
You “direct the mind to the breath and into samadhi”(directed thought) or “place the mind into samadhi by observing the breath”(placing the mind)- same thing. You “evaluate the mind; is it staying with the breath into samadhi”(evaluation) or “connect the mind to the breath and maintain it into samadhi” (keeping the mind connected) - same thing.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see a major difference here between these translations and the actual application in pratice. Just preferences of how different translators want to approach this very important/vital aspect of the practice within their own experiences and understanding.

“Directed thought” & “evaluation” do have a coarse sound to them and vitakka & vicāra are far from coarse in this context. So I could definitely understand not agreeing with those translations.

:heart:

1 Like