Yinshun's Reconstruction of the Chinese Saṃyukta Āgama (Taisho 99)

I think it’s important to understand that he didn’t simply rearrange the samyuktas based on a list in the Yogacarabhumi. The fascicles of SA are sort of like puzzle pieces that have been shuffled into the wrong order. You can only fit them together in certain ways because samyuktas often begin at the end of one fascicle and continue at the beginning of another. So, he was limited as to what he could do as he rearranged them.

The order of the samyuktas is also somewhat confirmed by the alternate SA translation in Chinese, which differs mainly in that it places the Sagatha vagga first, unlike T99, which has the Aggregates Vagga first. But beyond that, the samyuktas correspond remarkably between the two translations.

4 Likes

I hope you could continue your Tibetan and Buddhist Chinese studies, and then finally translate the Tibetan version, sūtra-mātṛkā (i.e. in the Peking (Ōtani) edition of Tibetan Tripiṭaka, vol. 111, text no. 5540), into English, along with its Chinese counterpart (T30, no.1579). :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The Sagātha-vagga is located at the beginning of SN, which is, however, at the end of SA.

I think the reason that the Sagātha-vagga is instead at the beginning of SN is to highlight the ‘adaptation’ of general Indian religious beliefs about devas or deities: Devata, Devaputta, Mara, Brahma, Vana, Yakkha, and Sakka (ruler of the gods), which are featured in the collection of SN/SA.

Such an adaptation of general Indian deities could be necessary for early Buddhism at that time to be accepted or to survive in the Indian religious traditions. This is the main reason, I think, the Sagātha-vagga is at the beginning of SN.

But, as suggested by Ven. Yinshun, the location of Sagātha-vagga (or the geya-aṅga collection) at the end of SA possibly preserves the earlier textual structure (see pp. 895-6 in Choong MK’s “Ācāriya Buddhaghosa and Master Yinshun 印順 on the Three-aṅga Structure of Early Buddhist Texts”).

Very interesting work. Thanks for sharing.

I’m lost and intrigued.

Might someone provide a “Three-Anga for Dummies” understandable to this befuddled human? What is the core insight/hypothesis?

2 Likes

When Yinshun reorganized the Chinese Saṃyukta Āgama and saw that it fit the headings he found in the Yogâcārabhūmi, he also noticed that it could be divided into three divisions with distinct formats. Those three divisions appear to match the sutra formats of sutra, geya, and vyākaraṇa as defined by Asaṅga in his commentary on SĀ that’s contained in the Yogâcārabhūmi.

The first three aṅgas are defined by Asaṅga in this way:

• Sutras discuss Dharma topics generally to an assembly of monks.
  • Geyas are sutras that have concluding or summary verses at or near the end.
  • Vyākaraṇas are sutras in which the Buddha or a disciple gives an explanation, such as what happened after a disciple passed away or when someone comes with a question.

Yinshun noticed that Vargas I-IV of SĀ are mostly Sutras, Varga V contains Geyas, and Vargas VI-VII are vyākaraṇas, generally speaking. They all have outliers, but the majority can be put into those categories to make three aṅga divisions.

He came to the conclusion, then, that Asaṅga was a reliable source about the way SĀ was compiled in northern India. From this, Yinshun theorized that the sutra aṅgas, at least the first three, might have been the way the sutras had been originally compiled in the earliest version of the canon. As the sutra canon grew, the Saṃyukta Āgama took shape. As SĀ continued to grow, texts were split off into the other Āgamas (Dīrgha, Madhyama, and Ekôttarika), but then the tradition stopped at these four.

The clearest parallel of these three divisions in SN is the Geya division. It’s a bit complicated, but if you look at the chart I created at the beginning of this thread, you can see that Varga IV, “Eight Assemblies,” matches the saṃyuttas of SN’s Sagātha Vagga. The only outlier is the Bhikkhu saṃyukta, which is located in the Nidāna Vagga. However, when we look at the contents of that saṃyutta, we see that many of its suttas are geya sutras; that is, they have concluding verses. So, it stands to reason that it may have originally been in the Sagātha Vagga, but was moved and a couple prose-only suttas were added to the beginning of it.

Vargas I-IV have corresponding vaggas in the Theravada Samyutta Nikaya (Vagga II, III, IV, and V), but the parallels to the samyuktas in Vargas VI-VII are scattered throughout those same vaggas. So, if they originally had been two separate divisions in the Theravada tradition, they were combined at some point and somewhat haphazardly.

The basic takeaway is that the Theravada Saṃyutta Nikāya seems to have been jumbled in a random order after the Sagātha Vagga, perhaps in a similar way that the Chinese SĀ had been disordered after its translation. This appears to have been a problem that cropped up at some point in Buddhist history, and that would explain the relatively random disorder of the suttas as they’ve come down to us, if it’s true. It’s a little hard to believe they were randomized from the start, though it isn’t impossible, I guess.

12 Likes

This is a great summary. To that I’ll also add that in the SN, the “Mahā Vagga” should be the “Magga Vagga”.

There was apparently some disorder in the transmission of the SN, and the wrong name for that vagga was passed down. Its contents correspond to the “Path” (in the Four Noble Truths), with contents including the samyuttas for the 37 factors of Bodhi. The correct nomenclature is preserved in the SA name for that vagga (道品誦).

It would be great if at some point the SN was reordered to follow the Four Noble Truths. But I’m not holding my breath.

4 Likes

I don’t think there will ever be a reorganizing of the SN by any of the “official” Theravada institutions in SE Asia. However, there’s nothing stopping someone from taking Bhante Sujato’s translation of the SN and reorganizing it based on Ven. Yinshun’s findings. Since Bhante allows people to take his translations and do whatever they want with them, someone could create a website to host those translations laid out in the order Ven. Yinshun described. The only thing stopping anyone from doing this is probably the same thing that stops people from doing a lot of things: spending a ton of their free time to do something for free that most people won’t care about.

1 Like

It’s only natural that the topics of the Buddha’s sermons corresponded to questions he researched at this or that time. He could have researched some question for a week or a month, giving some sermons on this subject. These sermons would come in various formats - with verses or without them, etc. His disciples would also cluster the Buddha’s discourses according to their topic. Accordingly, the Suttas came to us in such small topical clusters.

Yes, that seems natural. Truth be told, over the course of 2,500 years, the sutra compilations could have begun disorganized, were put into a neat order, were disorganized again, and reorganized again. Alot can happen in that amount of time, and there’s no detailed history of it until around 400 AD in China.

3 Likes

Try this https://ahandfulofleaves.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/the-fundamental-teachings-of-early-buddhism_choong-mun-keat.pdf

We can restore the earliest sutta through some early commentaries like the Yogacarabhumi, Dharmaskandhapada, Sariputraabhidharma…

1 Like