Your web site is not referenceable

It would be great if I could reference your web site in academic assignments but it is missing dates and authors. At the moment the reference looks like this:

No author, SuttaCentral, no date, suttacentral.net, accessed 2016-04-27.

You can find the source info (author/translator, etc) of the individual texts in the Meta Data of the texts:
Go to any particular text, click on the menu-icon in the top left corner and click on the tab Metadata.

Info about the website itself and it’s contributors you can find here: https://suttacentral.net/contacts

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Also just to let you know, a little known but cool feature on SC is that you can export the parallels for any sutta in a nice form. This is from the little widget underneath each “details” table. For example MN 10 gives us:

Parallels for MN 10 Satipaṭṭhāna (MN i 55): EA 12.1 (T ii 568a01); MA 98 (T i 582b07); DN 22 (DN ii 290); MN 119 (MN iii 88); SHT 614, 862, 1180 A1, 3039. Retrieved from SuttaCentral on 28/04/2016.

1 Like

This does not help very much. Please consult the requirements for citation in academic works with standards such as Chicago (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html), APA (https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/), or any other citation style. The material on your website may not be able to be referenced by college students whose teachers are particular about referencing or books with similar standards. The problems / open questions with the above example are:

Who is the publisher?
What is the date the work was published?
Who was the translator or editor?
The example citation does not match the title of the web page ‘Details for MN 10 Satipaṭṭhāna’ and mixes in the content.

For example, compare DN 1 on SuttaCentral to the same text on Access to Insight. Access to Insight has relatively complete information for a citation and also the copyright status of the text.

“Brahmajāla Sutta: The All-embracing Net of Views” (DN 1), translated from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Access to Insight (Legacy Edition), 30 November 2013, [link] .

DN 1 on SuttaCentral has basically nothing and it is hard to navigate from the text to the text detail, which also does not have the details either. besides the reference numbers from other repositories.

In addition, the About page does not have any details about who SuttaCentral is. “SuttaCentral aims at facilitating … [philosophy follows].” So I don’t know if SuttaCentral is a publisher, the name of the web site, a foundation, a project, a collection of friends, or something else … and there is no date.

DN1 on SuttaCentral lists the following in the metadata. Would that not be enough?

Translated from the Pali by bhikkhu bodhi.

Digital Transcription Source: BPS Transcription Project

Extracted from The All-embracing Net of Views: The Brahmajāla Sutta and its Commentaries, translated and introduced by bhikkhu bodhi. (BP209S). First published 1978. Second printing 1990. Second edition 2007.

ISBN: 978-955-24-0052-0.

Copyright © 1978, 2007 by bhikkhu bodhi. BPS On-line Excerpt ©: 2013.

This text has been made available by the kind permission of Bhikkhu Bodhi and the Buddhist Publication Society. It was released under the following licence terms:

For free distribution. This work may be republished, reformatted, reprinted and redistributed in any medium. However, any such republication and redistribution is to be made available to the public on a free and unrestricted basis, and translations and other derivative works are to be clearly marked as such.

Buddhist Publication Society
P.O. Box. 61
54, Sangharaja Mawatha
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Complete book available from Buddhist Publication Society.

Prepared for SuttaCentral by Bhikkhu Sujato.

2 Likes

To add to this, this text and all texts on SuttaCentral also record the date added, and date last modified.

You’re missing the point. This is not a reference for the text, it is a list of parallels, as I stated in my previous comment.