7 days to 7 years, mahasatipatthana sutta

i didn’t know how to understand that part? is it original or an add on? How did the Buddha want us to understand this?

If you’re practicing correctly, enlightenment need not take a long time.

1 Like

The Buddha speaks of two stages in Satipatthana, establishment and development. Here he speaks about the development following establishment. Development is defined in Samyutta Nikaya 47.40.

“In other words, while maintaining any of the four frames of reference as a
framework for your attention, you keep watch over how events arise from
causes and how they pass away, all with reference to that frame. This is
particularly clear in the context of the body: You aren’t interested in looking just
at the role of food in sustaining the body, for that would trivialize the practice.
Instead, you watch how the experience of the body has an impact on the
origination and passing away of physical or mental phenomena experienced in
the present, and how their origination and passing away have an impact on the
body. A similar principle applies to the other frames of reference as well. For
example, with feelings: You notice how the way you breathe influences feelings
of pleasure or pain, or how feelings of pleasure or pain influence states of mind.”

—Thanissaro

(1) Establishment (2) Development

"“In this way (1) he remains focused internally on the body in & of itself, or externally on the body in & of itself, or both internally & externally on the body in & of itself. Or (2) he remains focused on the phenomenon of origination with regard to the body, on the phenomenon of passing away with regard to the body, or on the phenomenon of origination & passing away with regard to the body. Or his mindfulness that ‘There is a body’ is maintained to the extent of knowledge & remembrance. And he remains independent, unsustained by (not clinging to) anything in the world. This is how a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself.”

—Majjhima Nikaya 10

I think it is the condition in the Sutta.

How could one know the quality of Sati needed here?

Obviously a perfect Sati will lead one to Nibbana within half a day.

I’m not sure except that one will know in retrospect!

Glad this is obvious to you! It’s not obvious to many people!

I think The Buddha says, one would attain fruits within the given time-frame, if he practiced Sati in the way/quality that the Buddha expected.

Otherwise it will take more time with a lax Sati, I guess.