8 Liberation, 8 Domains of Mastery, 4 Brahmaviharas, 4 Perceptions, and 10 Kasinas

The following takes lead from @Vaddha 's post The 8 Liberation are Brahmanical. I would recommend reading that first.

In this post I assume that the thesis of the above post is true; the 8 liberations, 8 domains of Mastery, 10 Kasinas, 4 Brahmaviharas, and 4 perceptions were interrelated meditation techniques that were pre-Buddhist, and not necessarily related to the Jhanas. (Vaddha did not include the 4 perceptions.)

First, let’s look at the Eight Liberations, also translated into English as the Eight Emancipations:

Liberation Number Description of Internal Form What Else is Perceived?
1st “Possessed of Form” or “Having Form” Seeing forms externally
2nd No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally
3rd No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing only the beautiful
4th No longer perceiving forms internally Infinite Space
5th No longer perceiving forms internally Infinite Consciousness
6th No longer perceiving forms internally Infinite Nothingness
7th No longer perceiving forms internally Neither perception nor non-perception
8th No longer perceiving forms internally Cessation

Next, let’s look at Eight Dimensions of Mastery, also translated into English as the Eight Bases for Transcendence:

Mastery Number Perception of Internal Form How are External Forms Perceived?
1st Perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as limited, beautiful, and ugly
2nd Perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as limitless/immeasurable, beautiful, and ugly
3rd No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as limited, beautiful, and ugly
4th No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as limitless/immeasurable, beautiful, and ugly
5th No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as blue
6th No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as yellow
7th No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as red
8th No longer perceiving forms internally Seeing forms externally as white

Rather than, “No longer perceiving forms internally,” Thanissaro has, “One percipient of the formless internally” here.

Next, let’s look at the Ten Universal Dimensions of Meditation / The Ten Totality Dimensions / The Ten Kasinas:

Dimension Number Description/Perception of Internal Form? How is the Dimension Perceived?
1-10 Unspecified Perceiving Earth → Water → Fire→ Wind→ Blue→ Yellow→ Red→ White→ Space→ Consciousness as above, below, all-around, undivided/non-dual, immeasurable/limitless

Finally, let’s look at the Four Perceptions:

Perception Number Description
1st One perceives the limited
2nd One perceives the enlarged
3rd One perceives the immeasurable
4th Dimension of nothingness
Beyond Perception Neither Perception nor Non-Perception
Beyond Perception Cessation

I have added in here the last two rows (when the Four Perceptions are given in the suttas, these last two rows are not mentioned, but they seem relevant here). A description of the 2nd perception has often been taken to refer to the mind in Jhana; however, I have not been able to find this explicitly stated. Meanwhile, the 3rd perception seems more explicitly related to the Brahmaviharas, 8 domains of mastery, 8 liberations, Kasinas, and the Arupas.

Now, on to the task at hand. Given that the premise of this post is to try to unite these into one framework, I am going to assume that the description of “having material form/perceiving form internally” is the same between the 8 dimensions of mastery and the 8 liberations. The wording here is not exactly the same in each case which is why this remains only an assumption. I am also going to assume that this refers to a common experience in meditation: is awareness of the body still present?

With that being said, let’s see if we can unite these into one description of meditative progression, where the objects of meditation start out as a Brahmavihara or a Kasina and sequence through “the beautiful” and the Arupas all the way up to cessation:

Meditative Stage Is there body awareness? What else is perceived?
1st Liberation, 1st Mastery, 1st Perception Yes One perceives an unmastered element Kasina as limited and not purely beautiful. Or one perceives an unmastered Brahmavihara.
1st Liberation, 2nd Mastery, 3rd Perception (Possibly 2nd Perception) Yes One perceives a partially mastered element Kasina as enlarged/immeasurable, but not purely beautiful. Or one perceives a partially-mastered Brahmavihara.
2nd Liberation, 3rd Mastery, 1st Perception (Possibly 2nd Perception) No One perceives an unmastered element Kasina as limited and not purely beautiful. Or one perceives an unmastered Brahmavihara.
2nd Liberation, 4th f Mastery, 3rd Perception No One perceives an element Kasina as fully immeasurable (not just enlarged), beautiful, and ugly. Or one perceives a fully-mastered and immeasurable (not just enlarged) Brahmavihara
2nd Liberation, 5th-8th Mastery, 3rd Perception No One perceives a color Kasina as immeasurable. Or one perceives a fully-mastered Brahmavihara
3rd Liberation, Beyond Domain of Mastery, 3rd Perception No One perceives only the beautiful, nowadays called the Nimitta, “hard Jhana” (or just Jhana, depending on your view). In the Visudhimagga, it is said that it is much easier for most meditators to be absorbed into a Nimitta using a Kasina instead of the breath.
4th Liberation, Beyond Domain of Mastery, 3rd Perception No Infinite Space Kasina/Arupa (which can be entered from Goodwill Brahmavihara
5th Liberation, Beyond Domain of Mastery, 4th Perception No Infinite Consciousness Kasina/Arupa (which can be entered from Compassion Brahmavihara
6th Liberation, Beyond Domain of Mastery, Beyond Perception No Domain of Nothingness (which can be entered from Sympathetic Joy Brahmavihara)
7th Liberation, Beyond Domain of Mastery, Beyond Perception No Domain of neither perception nor non-perception(which can be entered from Equanimity Brahmavihara)
8th Liberation, Beyond Domain of Mastery, Beyond Perception No Cessation of Perceptions and Feelings

What do folks think of this? I welcome any critiques.

1 Like

The Sarvastivada interpretation is different. For them the liberations refer to corpse meditation, with the Kasinas achieved after the 4th Jhana. Theravada on the other hand has the Kasinas as a means to enter the 1st Jhana. In terms of the Kasinas for Theravada it involves starting at one thing, until you can see it in your mind. For Sarvastivada it’s being able to control perception so as to see only one thing. You stop noticing the rocks and trees and instead just focus only on the earth, quite like what we see in MN 121

1 Like

Yes, it is good to mention the other interpretations of these, and a more comprehensive post would have looked at all of these. I am not that knowledgeable about the other interpretations though, and so I was not able to do this.

I would be interested in seeing any arguments for those other interpretations. I found some of the arguments in Vaddha’s post compelling, which is why I made this post.

The description I have here also shows the kasinas as leading into the “the beautiful,” which is when the nimitta appears, and may be identified with the 1st jhana. I left the option open in the OP whether or not this is jhana, because there is debate about whether or not jhana includes body awareness.

If you accept my OP, and if you think jhana does have body awareness, then you would see “the beautiful” as being equivalent to “hard-jhana,” and not “sutta-jhana.”

If you accept my OP, and if you think jhana does not have body awareness, then you would see “the beautiful” as being equivalent to “hard-jhana” which is the same as “sutta-jhana.”