A Buddhist catechism

I found this text. It looks very interesting, I like the form very much, totally inspired by the Catholic/Christian catechisms :smile: perfect for synthesis.

I don’t know how accurate it is in its presentation of the dhamma though. :thinking:

:pray:

5 Likes

Thank you for the link!

The Dhamma is presented without detailed references and includes annotations:

1. Q. What do you mean by that word: what is this Noble Eight fold Path? (For Pâlî name see Q. 78).
    A. The eight parts of this path are called aṅgas they are: 1. Right Belief (as to the law of Causation, or Karma); 2. Right Thought; 3. Right Speech; 4. Right Action; 5. Right Means of Livelihood; 6. Right Exertion; 7. Right Remembrance and Self-discipline; 8. Right Concentration of Thought. The man who keeps these aligns in mind and follows them will be free from sorrow and ultimately reach salvation.

Contrast Bhante Sujato’s strict and unembellished translation of a specific sutta:

MN9:70.5: right view, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right immersion.

Note that the unembellished translation is less introductory yet easier to study in depth.

2 Likes

The content looks useful but without proper referencing it’s hard to check how correct it is.

The title worries me because when I was a child I had to learn the Catholic Catechism by heart. I was told that I HAD to believe in it or I might go to Hell when I died. Such connotations don’t sit comfortably with the Buddhist approach the development of faith based on inquiry.

3 Likes

Of course a “Buddhist catechism” cannot be dogmatic, a text to be learnt by heart, a belief to be imposed, I think the author just wanted to take up the catechetical style which is well suited for synthesis… :thinking:

A matter of taste I suppose, personally I’m receptive to the idea. :smile:

I’d like to be receptive too. I’m just feeling conditioned by an unfortunate childhood. … It must be time for me to let go. :slight_smile: … I can’t help wishing the document had a different title tho.

2 Likes

I just found this in the same style and without the word “catechism” in the title :smile:

1 Like

Good Questions, Good Answers is a great title. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I can remember rote learning the Catholic Catechism, overseen by nuns with rulers. :laughing:

1 Like

Who made me?
God made me.

Why did God make me?
God made me to know Him love Him, and serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him ever after in the next.

1 Like

There are suttas that use fixed questions and answering. If I am uunderstanding right those can also be categorized as Catechism; a summary of the principles of a religion in the form of questions and answers, used for religious instruction.

Ex: Saṅgīti Sutta DN 33
Dasuttara Sutta DN 34
Cūḷavedalla Sutta MN 44

And entire Kathāvatthu

2 Likes