修習通往證悟的直接之道: A Chinese Satipaṭṭhāna Retreat

Bhikkhu Analayo and Bhikkhunī Dhammadina will offer a free Satipaṭṭhāna retreat in Chinese next year:

2022年7月30日(六)~8月6日(六)

本課程將以英語進行,教學影片有中文和英文字幕,禪修導引有國語和英語版本,每天與無著比丘和法樂比丘尼的問答則會有中文口譯

Register online at:

http://agamaresearch.dila.edu.tw/sati-zh-2022

8 Likes

For English use Google Translate, the course will be conducted in English.

http://agamaresearch.dila.edu.tw/sati-zh-2022

New German parliament votes to deepen ties with Taiwan:

“the resolution stated that the German government is in favor of intensified political, economic, and social exchanges with Taiwan, so long as they are “below the threshold of diplomatic relations.” The resolution emphasized that it is also in the interests of Germany and Europe to further expand and intensify cooperation with Taiwan.”—Taiwan News

1 Like

This is the English version of the webpage: Āgama Research Group

There will also be retreats offered with Spanish and Portuguese interpretation next year, so check those out if you’re a native Iberian speaker :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

However, note that when the Agama Research Group sent out this information they included this gloss:

(Kindly note that these retreats are meant as special practice offerings to speakers of these languages; English-medium retreats are instead offered through the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies).

1 Like

Does this mean the posted retreat is only for Mandarin speakers? :frowning:

It seems no Taiwanese Chinese monks/nuns are able to teach Satipatthana in Taiwan. If so, why?

Yes. Bhikkhu Analayo teaches English-language retreats and courses through the Barre Center. Check their website for more information.

Most of the good teachers in Asia are still “underground” and don’t have a big internet presence. Especially in English!

What is “underground”?

I do not think “internet” is an issue in Taiwan at all!

Why do they need to use the English language by Europeans to teach Satipatthana to Taiwanese Chinese?

@thomaslaw Do you live in Taiwan? If you’re asking for teacher recommendations in Taiwain, feel free to open a new thread for that question. Please do not derail this thread. Thanks! :grin:

1 Like

What is your point here?

If I may add, there are actually many good Buddhism and Mindfulness teachers in Taiwan. But part of the Satipatthana teachings in the Chinese Samyukta Agama was lost in history due to Samyukta Agama’s missing its original Vol 23 and 25. Therefore it can be helpful for Chinese and Taiwanese to learn more about Satipatthana through the parallels. Furthermore, Taiwanese Buddhists in general welcome Buddhism and sangha regardless of the branches.

I am actually a Taiwanese Buddhist who attended this retreat in English in BCBS previously. IMHO, what Venerable Analayo teaches is helpful to people who have learned from other teachers, and is also helpful to people who have not learned from other teachers. Developed based on the Satipatthana sutta and its parallels, the approach he teaches provides a seamless way of practice from Mindfulness of the Body, to the Mindfulness of the Feelings, to the Mindfulness of the Mind, to the Mindfulness of the Dhammas. Step-by-step to more refined and open awareness while balancing tranquility and insight. Even after attending eighteen 7-day to 10-day retreats offered by different traditions, I still find this Satipatthana retreat helpful for my practice. Actually nowadays I always start my retreat with this Satipatthana-sutta-based practice as it helps me transit from daily life to formal practice efficiently.

Just 2 cents FYR.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @davidchiou ! Enjoy exploring all the wonderful resources available here.

If you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to ask; just tag @moderators in a topic or send a PM.

with Metta :sunflower::pray::sunflower:

3 Likes

This looks great, thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

SA 605-639 (35 sutras) are Satipatthana teachings. The SA sutras and their Pali parallels are essentially useful for learning the practice.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for sharing. :heart: I agree with you that the Chinese Agama and Chinese suttas in general are invaluable treasure and SA 605-639 (35 sutras), which is the first half of 念處相應, are useful for learning about Satipatthana.

For me personally, suttas in the second half of 念處相應 are also useful for learning about Satipatthana, while they are missing in the Chinese Samyukta Agama. :sob: Meanwhile, SN 47, which has about 104 suttas, is helpful for filling in the gap, while I don’t treat them as the only standard. Very wise people might not need them but I’m not that wise and have to learn and practice Buddhism more. :slight_smile:

I am very grateful for Sangha offering such retreats so that people like me have more opportunities to practice, 修習多修習! During COVID-19 it’s not as easy to find on-premise retreats as it used to be therefore such online retreats are especially helpful. Also grateful for those who share news about the retreats! :+1:

3 Likes

One is certainly able to read that unshared Pali suttas without difficulties, and find out any differences from the SA sutras on the main teaching and practice of Satipatthana.

there are already good chinese theravada teachers in taiwan and they had just started organised onsite retreat (previously only in Thailand/Malaysia) this year 2024.
[台灣隆波帕默四念處(佛陀四念處内觀)]
Here is the link: Redirecting...