A Householder's Vinaya With Home and Sangha Retreat Guides By Allan Cooper

For one who aspires to deepen their practice, This is a resource that I have found to be quite helpful.
One can get a free pdf of it at: https://householdersvinaya.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/A-Householders-Vinaya-Allan-Cooper.pdf .
I’m starting this topic to find others with an interest in the book and the practice.
Please do contribute your thoughts.

9 Likes

Thank you so much for starting this topic, I had just downloaded the book after seeing it mentioned in the Practising full time as a lay person thread. I’m excited to see a discussion of it here and have moved it to the top of my reading list. :relaxed:

Another interesting looking book along similar lines I saw mentioned here recently was A Whole-Life Path by Gregory Kramer:

2 Likes

@EK I am hoping to find more folks interested in trying out the formula Cooper offers. I’m still digesting the book myself but I do see some suggestions about practicing together even if it isn’t in person.

Gassho,

Tom

5 Likes

The way to do this will be to put our a call for people to indicate their interest and then to gather them together into a PM. PMs aren’t moderated and the rule about sharing too much personal stuff doesn’t apply.

5 Likes

Those who are interested in delving deeper can visit this site to find out what the Insight Dialogue Community is doing online. There are various groups that meet to discuss this book.

4 Likes

I am currently reading Cooper’s book. I am always interested in various approaches to dhamma practice as a lay practitioner. Given that no two lay practitioners have identical situations, it is instructive to see the large number of adaptations and adjustments made to facilitate serious practice. As it says in the suttas, lay life poses significant challenges to serious and continuous practice but it also gives rise to creativity, resourcefulness, and perseverance in lay practitioners and that fills my heart with hope and joy (borrowing the title of another thread).
with metta

4 Likes

@TomSchulte if you start a PM, please include me as well. Although I’m just beginning the book, I’m always looking for ways to deepen my practice and discuss with other like-minded practitioners. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’d be interested in a PM / group discussion as well. :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks to all who want to be included in the PM. I will do a PM once my life settles down a bit. Gillian has ben helpful in sending me instructions on how to do it. Just haven’t had time.
Tom

3 Likes

Below is the IMS Book Club announcement for an interview with Allan Cooper, the author of a Householder’s Vinaya With Home and Sangha Retreat Guides. The interview coupled with a Q/A will discuss how the book will support those interested in making one’s everyday life an equally important part of their overall practice.

The Householder’s Vinaya is a practical and accessible ‘how to’ guide that points out how our everyday life is a conditioning process towards or away from wholesomeness. The book offers the reader the choice to bring the Buddha’s Noble Eightfold Path to bear in all our activities.

The practice offered allows anyone on a spiritual path the opportunity to recondition one’s life with gentle determination towards less reactivity and greater wisdom.

Please join us. Date: Tuesday, September 13, at 7 PM ET

To Register:

IMS Book Club: A Householder’s Vinaya

A Householder’s Vinaya
With Home and Sangha Retreat Guides
By Allan Cooper

“In A Householder’s Vinaya, Allan Cooper describes in detail and depth guidelines for realizing our highest dharma aspirations. Going beyond conventional notions of daily life practice, Allan’s deep wisdom both challenges and inspires us to raise the bar of impeccability as we undertake the liberating teachings of the Buddha. In this unique work, there is a wealth of practical advice for transforming everyday life experiences into a genuine path of awakening. Highly recommended.”—Joseph Goldstein

A Householder’s Vinaya invites and instructs the meditator to use the comings and goings of everyday life as one of the foundations of one’s home practice; to recondition the mind away from the habit of turning away from our meditation while navigating our everyday lives. Instead this book, shows readers how to embrace it all as practice.

Date: Tuesday, September 13, at 7 PM ET”

Allan Cooper has practiced vipassana and samatha meditation practices since 1974. His primary teachers are the Burmese meditation master Sayadaw U Pandita, his student, Sayadaw U Vivekananda, Abbot of Panditarama International Vipassana Meditation Center, Lumbini, Nepal, and Joseph Goldstein, co-founder of Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA, USA. Allan is a retired hospice and mental health RN and has been teaching meditation and leading retreats for many years.

His book A Householder’s Vinaya With Home and Sangha Retreat Guides is available for free download at householdersvinaya.com or for purchase at amazon.com in both eBook and paperback formats. All royalties are donated to Buddhist Global Relief Fund.

2 Likes

Also Allan Cooper recently sent out this announcement about two initiatives to do with his book… But please take this as a public service announcement rather than a personal endorsement, as I have no knowledge or involvement.

Greetings friends one and all!

Thank you for accepting this blast announcement for two fast approaching Dharma events including the inauguration of householdersvinaya.com’s Forum, The Voice of Home Practice.

KURU Public Radio, Silver City, 89.1 FM will present ‘Dharma on the Back Porch’ which will air on Sundays, at 1PM beginning September 18th. In a discussion/interview format the show will examine and explore the Buddha’s Noble Eightfold Path. For 10 weeks George Carr and Candice Burke will ask questions of Allan Cooper author of A Householder’s Vinaya With Home and Sangha Retreat Guides and host of householdersvinaya.com’s Forum, The Voice of Home Practice. Allan’s book instructs the householding meditator on ways to make our everyday lives our spiritual practice.

The show will offer practical ways on how to approach meditation and spiritual practice in our everyday lives. It is also intended that the program’s discussions will simplify some of the mystifying notions unique to Buddhist thought and practice. The show is intended and will be valuable for both the new or experienced meditator and/or student of Buddhist philosophy.

Those who do not live near Silver City and for neighbors who can’t make it to one or any of the shows the entire series will be archived at both GMRC.org or at householdersvinaya.com.

… Allan Cooper has practiced vipassana and samatha meditation practices since 1974. His primary teachers are the Burmese meditation master Sayadaw U Pandita, his student, Sayadaw U Vivekananda, Abbot, Panditarama International Vipassana Meditation Center, Lumbini, Nepal, and Joseph Goldstein, co-founder of Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA, USA. Allan is a retired hospice and mental health RN and has been teaching meditation and leading retreats for many years.