A reminder of the Buddha teachings

"A mendicant consistently treats their spiritual companions with bodily kindness…verbal kindness ……mental kindness …both in public and in private. This warm-hearted quality makes for fondness and respect, conducing to inclusion, harmony, and unity, without quarreling. " MN48

“Mendicants, don’t get into arguments, such as: ‘You don’t understand this teaching and training. I understand this teaching and training. What, you understand this teaching and training? You’re practicing wrong. I’m practicing right. I stay on topic, you don’t. You said last what you should have said first. You said first what you should have said last. What you’ve thought so much about has been disproved. Your doctrine is refuted. Go on, save your doctrine! You’re trapped; get yourself out of this—if you can!’ Why is that? Because those discussions aren’t beneficial or relevant to the fundamentals of the spiritual life. They don’t lead to disillusionment, dispassion, cessation, peace, insight, awakening, and extinguishment." SN59.9

“Mendicants, don’t engage in all kinds of unworthy talk, such as talk about kings, bandits, and ministers; talk about armies, threats, and wars; talk about food, drink, clothes, and beds; talk about garlands and fragrances; talk about family, vehicles, villages, towns, cities, and countries; talk about women and heroes; street talk and talk at the well; talk about the departed; motley talk; tales of land and sea; and talk about being reborn in this or that state of existence. Why is that? Because those discussions aren’t beneficial or relevant to the fundamentals of the spiritual life. They don’t lead to disillusionment, dispassion, cessation, peace, insight, awakening, and extinguishment.

When you discuss, you should discuss: ‘This is suffering’ … ‘This is the origin of suffering’ … ‘This is the cessation of suffering’ … ‘This is the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering’…" SN59.10

12 Likes

Thank you for this reminder @hmong.buddhism

Right Speech is one of the pillars guiding behaviour in this forum. It is great to be reminded of it. For those unfamiliar with the guidelines, you can find them, in full, by following the link below.

Metta

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. :pray:

3 Likes

What if challenging a wrong doing was seen as disturbing the harmony?!

1 Like

In his challenges, the Buddha is remarkably inclusive:

“I’ve stopped, Aṅgulimāla—now you stop.” --MN86

3 Likes

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.111.than.html#kill

2 Likes

Wow, Thanks, Mat! This is amazing. I had not seen AN4.111 before:

“It’s true, Kesi, it’s not appropriate for a Realized One to kill living creatures. But when a person in training doesn’t follow any of these forms of training, the Realized One doesn’t think they’re worth advising or instructing, and neither do their sensible spiritual companions. For it is death in the training of the noble one when the Realized One doesn’t think they’re worth advising or instructing, and neither do their sensible spiritual companions.”

That is definitely exclusive, yet oddly, somehow a suicide of sorts by the obstinate mendicant.

3 Likes