A transgender and LGBTIQ+ icon in Theravada Buddhist history — Soreyya Arahantaka Bhikkhu (Enlightened Monk)

Your post is aggressive.

The tone of my post is firm, even a bit confrontational, fair enough. It ends pretty softly though :sunflower:

But don’t get me wrong, I do want to speak out against views which I think are harmful to LGBTQ+ people in Buddhist spaces. Namely, that we shouldn’t get to exist as ourselves like everyone else, that we should rather stay in the closet and work on our defilements. IMO, this is just Buddhist conversion therapy, which I think can be genuinely harmful.

I empathize with you if you’re feeling attacked, I know that it can be unpleasant. In any case, I wish you, as a person with thoughts and feelings just like me, well :blue_heart:

5 Likes

On behalf of Trans and non-binary people everywhere, Thank you for your affirmation.
With Metta

3 Likes

WOW. Deep thinking which resembled my own.

And I appreciate you and your insightful comments so much. Please keep lifting us with your words of tolerance and acceptance. :joy:

Thanks Adrian. You’re doing a great job! Keep up the good works! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Very accurate perception. Agreed!

A bit off topic, but men have non-functional breasts. So there! LOL :rofl:

Indeed! Correct again. Studies of what is called ‘Brain Sex’ -still underfunded and largely ignored-prove a wide variation inthe co-expressions of sex and gender. People often use the word ‘choice’ as a descriptor of this kind of expression of sex and gender variation.
But the truth, from a biological perspective, is that we only have one choice. and that is self acceptance, or a life unfulfilled.
Here is a one of a kind study, now decades old, which asserts the origins of gender identity in the brain. Those with an open mind and heart may be ‘enlightened’:

" Differences in the size of the human BSTc have been related to the gender identity disorder transsexuality, in which subjects voice the strong feeling of being born in the wrong sex. In male-to-female transsexuals, the BSTc was similar in size to that of control women, whereas in the only female-to-male transsexual studied so far, the BSTc was similar in size to that of control men (Swaab and Hofman, 1995; Zhou et al., 1995; Kruijver et al., 2000)"

2 Likes

Your comment talking about the body and analyzing it in this context inspired the memory of this sutta:

“One thing, mendicants, when developed and cultivated leads to … the realization of the fruit of knowledge and freedom.

What one thing?

Mindfulness of the body.

This one thing, when developed and cultivated, leads to … the realization of the fruit of knowledge and freedom.”

An1.575

Thank you! :pray:

1 Like

Thanks so much Kaushal, this is a beautiful and important perspective!

Some years ago I took part in an interfaith gathering where various issues around sexuality and gender were discussed. Leaders from different religious backgrounds were questioned by an interviewer, and with each answer that they gave, I offered thanks to the Buddha that I had no need to squirm or wriggle or be ashamed at what my teacher had said. When my turn came, I could answer each question directly and honestly because there is no bigotry in the Buddha’s teachings.

12 Likes

I think there is a real risk of spiritual bypass if we aren’t careful. Ideas like “let go of labels” and “overcome desires” are a pretty unwelcoming greeting to people who have experienced labeling and attacks (emotional and physical) because of the sexual orientation and/or gender identity.

I attend and speak at Pride Festivals each summer for my job. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a festival where, at some point, at least one youth hasn’t come up to me and said, “My parents would kill me if they knew I were here.” They are already threatened because of who they are, and their only survival tool is silence. Self erasure. To show up at a Buddhist group and be told “don’t be attached to labels like trans” is very hurtful. Just more of the “don’t talk about it” they get other places in their lives.

Rather than trying to spiritually bypass the real issues and suffering in society, I want a Buddhism that goes out of its way to welcome Buddhists as who they authentically are.

If you are new to the concept of spiritual bypass, search for Bhante @Akaliko 's posts on it on this forum. He writes powerfully on the topic.

8 Likes

Bhante, Thank you for your comment! And I really appreciate your work and It is inspiring me also!

1 Like

Working oneself out is apart of the journey and all people deserve to be afforded that opportunity in a place of safety.

The precedence is on identifying the proximate cause of stress and implementing their cessation - in the seasoned practitioner and knower of the way: this takes precedence before all else.

Sounds a little like a Noble Truth! Deep appreciation