Ageism in the Ajahn Chah Tradition

good question, I had wondered about this myself :joy: seriously though, part of the answer I arrived at is that some (many?) senior monks go elsewhere; either to other monasteries - for example thereā€™s one in a monastery in Germany (I watched a documentary on it some time ago) - or to live on their own or with their families while still monks.

I would caution readers against accepting many of the statements above as accurate portrayals of the situation across the whole of the Buddhist world.

Conditions vary immensely between countries, cultures, and indeed individual monasteries.

(Maybe this conversation has run its course.)

12 Likes

Perhaps an unsolicited piece of advice, butā€¦
Never even appear to disparage the exulted gurus here.

You will get mobbed.

Unless someone has attained Right View themselves it seems rather presumptuous, if-not perverse, to accuse someone else of the being guilty of Wrong Speech and therefore they must be reprimanded post-haste. If we are supposedly sutta based people here then it should be obvious that to do such an action would imply at the very least the status of a traineeā€™s attainment, which would be a much worse transgress(if untrue) than being accused of what the OP was.

The OP may have violated the Terms of Service according to some interpretation, but to use such language as though coming from a position of attainment is grotesque over the internet. Unless one has attained Right View, one cannot either fully understand Right Speech nor could they make absolute value statements regarding others.

The personal information an adult chooses to publicly disclose is done at their own discretion (as per the details the OP mentioned were clearly for situational specificity in seeking resolution) none of which could even remotely be classified as risky by my own reckoning. Inconvenient to delicate sensibilities, obviously.

Considering that this user was not doxing other people/monastics and the moderators rapidly reduced the original post to a vague short statement appears to have been a mistake, since that action was clearly taken as a crass disregard for their situation and thus elicited a strong (maybe over reaction) from the user.

SMH :man_facepalming:

1 Like

The original post had nothing at all to do with EBTs, so it could have been justifiably removed completely. The moderators, I believe, chose to allow a very narrow question out of compassion hoping that the OP could get some advice. The OP then went on to call a specific moderator a fascist.

6 Likes

This was clearly posted in the Watercooler category.

Not sure what exactly your point is other than to deflect away from my previous one.

The action taken did seem a bit authoritarian .

1 Like

The OP reposted the content he was asked to remove. And then he lowered himself to name calling. Thatā€™s what banning is for. Moderators shouldnā€™t have to deal with that kind of behaviour. If folks donā€™t like the moderation policies they are free to find another forum to post in.

6 Likes

I only stop by this site casually to see whatā€™s kicking around and have no personal investment in it.

My advice to anyone is to tread lightly, as though on eggshells, if you want to present yourselves as arbiters of the Buddha-Dhamma. Existence doesnā€™t care about the first-person narratives that are being spun in your minds and will fiercely reverberate against those false ā€œprotagonistsā€ whom arrogantly pretend to understand that which they truly do not know regarding the immutable nature of reality.

This website is a blip in existence, but adhammacārī has immense echo potential.

Delusion masquerades beautifully as misapprehended righteous action. Thus it is hard to see, hard to know and to quench.
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your input, and I agree with my fellow mod Gillian, this topic has run its course. As a reminder, please review our policies for how we moderators operate.

The moderatorsā€™ primary duty is to maintain a safe, kind environment for all users and they must use their discretion to this end. This may, for example, entail:

• Encouraging Right Speech within a thread.
  • Pulling people up when their speech is unkind.
  • Redirecting a thread that has deviated significantly from its original post.
  • Editing or deleting content.
  • Closing a thread.
  • Closing an account where it is suspected a user has created a second account in order to distort discussion.
    The moderators will not disclose the details of discussions had with you in private to other users. In turn, as all private moderation will be kept private, please donā€™t ask us to tell you how weā€™ve moderated others.

Responding well to admonition is regarded as a basic sign of integrity in Dhamma communication. If you respond with anger, insults or by attacking the admonisher, other users, the site, or those running it, expect to find yourself permanently banned.

6 Likes

Why find fault with someone who is generously donating their time to maintain this forum?

I donā€™t see you volunteering to be a mod :slight_smile:

2 Likes