Ajahn Brahm Has Resigned From the BSWA

In my opinion if BSWA grown to a such a level, it is time to down size it. I hear people are already talking about the corporate nature of BSWA. I think it is better to let the sister temples to be independent and allow them to look after their own affairs.

1 Like

All the information was available via the BSWA website. It was not sent to each individual member. I was certainly able to get all the information and read all the reports well in advance of the meeting.

There are multiple lessons to be learned from this 2 year saga (including ease of acess to information as per above). I see no point in ā€˜guestimatingā€™ about this. I believe that a Special General Meeting will be held within a reasonable timeframe, and I am confident that the issues (storm in a tea-cup stuff) will be resolved and that the BSWA will emerge stronger and more unified as a result. IN the meantime, I think it would be beneficial for all involved to focus on Metta - obviously many have been suffering for quite a while. Time to move forwards :slightly_smiling_face:

With Metta to all BSWA members, Sangha and concerned beings :anjal:

2 Likes

I watched the full AGM video. It is great that BSWA has such a transparency.
The best is what AB said.
"When going get tough, tough gets meditating"
I can related to that.:grinning:

1 Like

ā€œif I am going to assign my vote to a proxy, I really need notice of what is going to be voted on,ā€

====================
I think this is very important. Instead of limiting the five proxy votes to a member, there should be unlimited proxy to a specific outcome. General proxy should be limited to two.

Dear SarathW, the quote you posted was not said by me - that is part of a quote I posted from @AnagarikaMichael when replying to his post. Would you please fix this for the record. Thank you :slight_smile:

Oh dear! Such dukkha in Oz-vada land.

2 Likes

Maybe the skilled and kind monk wantā€™s to make sure that the standard of the new teachers lives up to his solid and trustworthy example, and that in well time before he and some of us laugh our selves out of this misery ā€¦

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good teachers are rare and good practicing teachers are even rarer. This unfortunate event had shown me that once again Ajahn Brahm did what he teaches :anjal:.

His teaching of caring, of loving oneself must be the same as with others has shined through his action of asking the BSWA in considering his health by easing his workload:
ā€œI have a lot of concern about my own health and wellbeing and I thought that by allowing some delegated authority across the board, that that would take away a lot of my burdens.ā€

:anjal:

7 Likes

It doesnā€™t always work out that way.

For instance, Iā€™m sure you will be happy to use Ajahn Sujatoā€™s new translations which he did for ā€œfreeā€, but the web site it is on was written by paid employees.

Thank-you @SarathW1 for the edit. Though it still looks like it is a quote by me. Please add in the source of your quotation so it is clear. Sorry for the pedantry but in my view, correct attribution is important - to all parties involved.

Metta

2 Likes

This issue is limited to the Dhammaloka site, which includes a range of extra actions such as all the online Dhamma.

One of the evident problems seems to be that many people are willing to forcefully put their opinions before having ALL the facts. Beginning with questions, is a skillful way to start. This is the issue that comes out with regard to solicited proxies - in that individuals are not giving ā€œinformed consentā€ but just consentā€¦
Obviously communication is something that will need to be addressed from the BSWA COMs perspective, and perhaps with-holding opinions and judgements until the issues are really understood by the lay sangha - and as Ajahn Brahm said in his response - to trust a little more. When Ajahn Brahm points out that he holds the power of veto, that people accept that he will act skillfully and in line with the best outcomes for the society. It was sad to witness this lack of trustā€¦ though people are just people and not all are able to put all aspects of the Buddhas teachings into practice where emotions become heated.

3 Likes

Ajahn Brahm acts like a free being, compassionate, not clinging, a monk who will use everything for living the Dhamma, teaching the Dhamma, protecting a four fold Noble Sangha and practice. Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu. Such a monk shows sila, such a monk is inspiring. We are all lucky, to not own him.

6 Likes

See also from 1:09, Ajahn Brahm explains that the motion is in order to let more volunteers work. Rather than all sub-comittees having to be made up from only the 10 main committee members!

5 Likes

Watched it through from there nowā€¦ I am so surprised that some people there voted against getting legal advice to see what would be the lawful decision on the vote! When it was clearly ambiguous! Does that not indicate that their voting against Ajahn Brahmā€™s wishes regarding subcommittees, was based on the view that that should be blocked even by unlawful means? That does not seem objective or Buddhist to me.

Regarding the question of who had the proxies, it seems the one with the most (17) was (you can hear her in the video explaining) Githa (I donā€™t know how that is spelled), the Honorary Secretary.
[Edit: just looked at their website, perhaps Geetha Mendis?]

Also, any update regarding the law consultation that was due to happen afterwards?

2 Likes

Not only that. One person refused to answer Ajahn Brahmā€™s question whether the proxies she carried were solicited or not. If the proxy is solicited, well, that doesnā€™t sound legal to meā€¦

1 Like

So then, maybe fire those people! They donā€™t seem like the kind of people I would want to be in charge of any Buddhist organisation I would want to be a member of!

2 Likes

If you fired them now, it could be construed as ā€˜taking out the oppositionā€™.

Letā€™s wait and see what will happen next.

Iā€™m looking forward to the special meeting that is expected to be held next month.

Fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Taking out those who oppose the will of the people, and the principle of law, seems a very good idea to me.

Regarding the will of the people - of all people who were entitled to vote (not just those who did vote), presumably the vast majority were on Ajahn Brahmā€™s side, or would have been had they heard the discussion immediately preceeding the vote.

Collecting selected votes beforehand might be allowed, but if that is in order to just gets votes for something most people actually oppose (but most are not voting), that is against the will of the people. Thatā€™s manipulating the vote to ones individual will! And then being willing to go against the lawā€¦ that just underlines the underhandedness of this effort!

1 Like

After watching the video of the meeting, I just wanted to add what I heard (keeping in mind that I could be mistaken :smile:):

I never heard that Geetha was using 17 proxies. The total was 10 proxies for and 65 against. I think the questions were only being directed to Geetha because she is the Secretary and was counting the votes.

Like I said, I could be mistaken but thatā€™s what I heard.

4 Likes