Ajahn Brahm Has Resigned From the BSWA

3 Likes

To those who were talking about getting all the facts before posting
you were correct! :blush:

Geetha does say at the end of the meeting that she had the most proxies with 17 and that she thought using them was within the constitution. I also look forward to legal council’s opinion.

My apologies.

4 Likes

Heard that the constitution lawyer said that the proxy voting is legal (though not ethical :crying_cat_face: ).

1 Like

This from Anagarika Stephen via ‘the big blue f’

‎Stephen Mayers‎ to Buddhist Society of Western Australia
6 hrs ·
I have lost a lot of sleep since the events of Saturday night and I remained troubled by the application of the proxies.
My recollection of the relevant act has been proved to be inaccurate and I apologise unreservedly. I am also sorry that the matter had to be referred to a lawyer.
The proposition 4.2 does fail by the valid acceptance of the proxy votes.
Those of us who were trying to help Not only Ajahn Brahm but all monastics and all lay people ( this is a large charity - with an outstanding worldwide folllowing) with appropriate competent resources were taken aback by the unexpected denial of a simple proposition that had been passed by the committee after a number of agreed amendments.
A period of healing is required for we cannot continue in this fashion. Months, if not years of good work, can be overturned in a second of greed,anger or delusion.
I hope all will turn back to the Buddha,Dhamma and Sangha and apply the teachings to resolve suffering between each other. And try and apply the 4 Brahmaviharas to each other.
I apologise again.

6 Likes

Does this mean the decision is final or will there still be a special meeting called? It seems another vote after the proxy limit is “ratified” might change the outcome.

2 Likes

There will be a live stream starting at 7pm WA time on Friday with some announcements before Ajahn Brahmali give the meditation and talk. I guess we will find out then.

Until then I think we should avoid speculation and finger pointing.

6 Likes

Please read Ajahn Brahm’s response here:

Is this a verbatim transcript of a conversation or is it paraphrase? Or is it written text that is extracted? It doesn’t read like direct speech.

Quote marks have been used to indicate the ‘Concern’ (which was, significantly, actually a variety of different people, not a single person) but the response text is not clearly quoted - the text changes voice from ‘I’ to ‘Ajahn Brahm’ which is a bit confusing. It seems odd that Ajahn Brahm would be referring to himself in this way, but if it’s your polite paraphrasing maybe that should be indicated?

I notice that you have also posted these remarks on other social media sites, so it’s probably a good idea to be as cautious and as accurate as possible.

2 Likes

Will edit the post now.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m confident with the like of Ajhan Brahm, Ajhan Brahmali, Ajhan Sujato etc at the forefront this issue will be well resolved. They are people I feel I know and are capable of settling this in the best way possible. However proxy votes should eassentially be a representative sample of the patterns of voting in the wider group in the room. The fact that they were all negative should be a good indicator that 1. they were unduly influenced 2. acted without capacity 3. were tampered with, by the submitter.

With metta

2 Likes

Are there no buddhist contractors/engineers/technicians to build a fence, clean a room and relocate a meditation hall (and I forgot the others)? This is what scares me. DIY. Why can we not voluntarily complete the tasks at hand? That’s where us lay people should incline our attention.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be so direct, because I know life is more complex than what I know, but it’s the ol’ “pushing the wheelbarrow is easy, thinking about it is the hard part”. Ok I’m done trolling and playing devils advocate

From what I’ve read it’s not the pushing the wheel barel that is the issue.

It’s spending hours sitting at committee table to decide x and no decision being made for y reasons

1 Like

In the Pāli term kāma chanda, chanda is what you have to do if you cannot attend a meeting of the community of monks, and you want to give approval and agreement to what’s happening there, you give your chanda to go ahead in your absence. It’s agreement, approval, consent, and it’s much more subtle than mere desire. This means that you are buying into, giving in to this, you want it, you approve of it, and you allow it to happen. In the same way that we have Chanda in the Vinaya, we have that kāma chanda. It’s as if you give your approval for the sensory world to be in your consciousness, in your mind, you accept it, approve of it, and you play with it, that’s all chanda. It’s letting it completely occupy the mind, and it’s much more subtle than just mere desire. The kāma part of kāma chanda, that’s all that is comprised in kāmaloka, the world of the five senses, which goes from the hell realms, the animal realms, the ghost realms, the human realm, and the Deva realms, to everything that is concerned with those kāmaloka realms. KĂ„ma Chanda is acceptance, agreement, and consent for that world to occupy you.

:anjal:

2 Likes

I want to add “an edit” to my first comment in this thread but 'am doing it here so it’s clearer.

I had another look at the outgoing president’s message
 I don’t know if it has been edited or it was just my perception at the time
 But looking at it now, it actually seems reasonably balanced. Thus I would like to retract the following statement:

Right, over and out! (I hope!)

3 Likes

Friday the 30th oh Friday the 30th 2018, you do not exist yet. :rofl: