Ajahn Brahm's Translation of "The Word of the Buddha", based on Nyanatiloka Mahāthera’s booklet, which was updated by Bhikkhu Bodhi

Dear Ajahn Brahmali,

I was just wondering whether Ajahn Brahm’s version of ‘The Word of the Buddha’ is available yet and if so, where or how can we find it?

I was already familiar with Ven. Nyanatiloka’s original but as I’ve been following the BSWA’s Youtube ‘Word of the Buddha’ playlists over the last few months, I’m now actually very interested to read - and compare - Ajahn’s version. It would be wonderful if Youtube video viewers following the course were able to follow along with Ajahn Brahm’s reinterpretation.

Best wishes!

3 Likes

Andy: call Ajahn @Brahmali with an “at”. :smiley:

2 Likes

Many thanks, Gillian, for your helpful intervention. As it happens, I have already been in touch with Andy through private message. All is good! My very best wishes to you.

2 Likes

And mine to you Bhante! & btw, is there a public update on Ajahn Brahm’s translation. It was listening to a series his talks on the the Word of the Buddha on a rather long and difficult flight that originally got me interested in reading the suttas.

Thanks for the tip @Gillian (see what I did there? :wink:).
I’m rarely active here so your comment was a good reminder, cheers :hugs:

1 Like

They are still not publicly available, but anyone who is interested can contact me with a private message. I’ll make sure you get it , Gillian!

6 Likes

Greetings Venerable. I would like to recieve a copy of Ajahn Brahms revision of Word of the Buddha mentioned in this post.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter Bill Haines

Hi Bill,

The latest version is attached.
The Word of the Buddha.pdf (893.3 KB)

Much metta from Perth,
Ajahn Brahmali

10 Likes

Thank you very much Venerable. Merra from us to you and all of yours.

“This playlist does not exist”

You can get a copy of the original in multiple formats here.

Comparing the two could be a very good exercise for impressing upon someone the value of different translations!

You can get a PDF copy of Ajahn Brahm’s recompilation here:

2 Likes

I asked Ajahn Brahm last Wednesday to share the latest version of the Brahmified Word Of The Buddha with me, so it can be linked in the YouTube video description of the 2023 classes. I have provided it to the BSWA today, so it should be online soon.

Sorry, I cannot upload it here as I am a new user. So have a bit of patience, it is on its way.

5 Likes

The Word of the Buddha - Brahmified (2023.10).pdf (893.8 KB)

12 Likes

This site can’t be reached

mettarama.org’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.

You can get a copy here:

2 Likes