AN 3.60 vitakka & vicāra (B. Sujato) doesn't make sense here

I have read all 3. Cousin’s translation of V&V as “think OF something and thinking ABOUT same something” (my paraphrase) is an excellent translation. Shankman’s survey is really good. As far as I recall, he clearly showed where early and late Theravada contradict or differ in Jhana. I don’t think any of the points I’ve brought up on V&V are contradicted by Shankman or Cousins. If you think it does, then please show it.

Message 11 in this thread contains a link to an excellent blog post by @silence (I believe he’s the author of the blog post he links to), with scriptural evidence, where B. Sujato’s views on V&V don’t make sense.

If your issue is simply that I appear arrogant and dismissive of other views, then I apologize and I’ll try to do better in that department. In my defense, I do try to be fair in discussion, plain speaking and direct, which may come across as rude and abrupt. And maybe my tone is not so patient when people make claims for which they don’t supply a clear line of reason and evidence.

3 Likes