Analayo Bhikkhu---E-Learning Course on Women in Indian Buddhism---2015

Bhikkhu Analayo Course Syllabus 0,32 MB :page_facing_up:
Bhikkhu Analayo Women in Early Buddhist Discourse 0,50 MB :page_facing_up:
Bhikkhu Analayo Women in Early Buddhist Discourse 1/11 89′ 10,18 MB :arrow_down:
Amy Paris Langenberg Female Agency in Two Sanskrit Vinayas 0,51 MB :page_facing_up:
Amy Paris Langenberg Female Agency in Two Sanskrit Vinayas 2/11 89′ 10,17 MB :arrow_down:
Mari Jväsjarvi Stuart Women in medieval Buddhist and Jain monasticism 0,82 MB :page_facing_up:
Mari Jväsjarvi Stuart Women in medieval Buddhist and Jain monasticism 3/11 91′ 10,39 MB :arrow_down:
Nalini Balbir Women in the Buddhist and Jain traditions 0,72 MB :page_facing_up:
Nalini Balbir Women in the Buddhist and Jain traditions 4/11 82′ 9,36 MB :arrow_down:
Reiko Ohnuma The Nun Thullananda 0,53 MB :page_facing_up:
Reiko Ohnuma The Nun Thullananda 5/11 87′ 9,87 MB :arrow_down:
Shobha Rani Dash Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī Narratives 0,70 MB :page_facing_up:
Shobha Rani Dash Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī Narratives 6/11 89′ 10,15 MB :arrow_down:
Liz Wilson Hagiographic Buddhist Texts on Women 0,30 MB :page_facing_up:
Liz Wilson Hagiographic Buddhist Texts on Women 7/11 90′ 10,26 MB :arrow_down:
Rita Gross Women in Mahāyāna Sūtra Literature 0,13 MB :page_facing_up:
Rita Gross Women in Mahāyāna Sūtra Literature 8/11 104′ 11,88 MB :arrow_down:
Alice Collett Women in Early Buddhist Inscriptions 1,02 MB :page_facing_up:
Alice Collett Women in Early Buddhist Inscriptions 9/11 76′ 8,60 MB :arrow_down:
Naomi Appleton Women in the Jātaka Collection 0,49 MB :page_facing_up:
Naomi Appleton Women in the Jātaka Collection 10/11 85′ 9,73 MB :arrow_down:
Monika Zin Buddhist Women in Indian Art 13,87 MB :page_facing_up:
Monika Zin Buddhist Women in Indian Art 11/11 86′ 9,76 MB :arrow_down:

Unfortunately some lessons and/or lesson materials are missing.

Links to similar content

3 Likes

Hi musiko,

Thanks for providing these files. Just a quick question: do you have permission from Bhante Analayo or from the respective teachers in this course to share this material? I remember when I took this course that there were certain things that were copyrighted or forthcoming in publication that some teachers didn’t want to be shared online.

With metta.

2 Likes

:joy: Ha! Well, that is up to you. But on this forum we try to respect people’s work by not posting copyrighted materials and that which one does not have permission to share.

4 Likes

I add warm thanks to musiko for taking the trouble to share these wonderful resources and the beautiful intention behind doing so, and likewise to @Brenna for raising the important issue about copyright.

For sure, there are all sort of ways to approach it philosophically and on the the forum we’ve previously seen some marvellously erudite descriptions of the various flaws of copyright law from the forum’s big cheese himself, no less. That said, advocating for changes to or outright scraping copyright law is entirely different to actually violating work protected under it. Just as Brenna says we try to respect people’s work and this is reflected in the TOS.

With the course in question, however, while I have to admit to not knowing how things work from a technical stand point I think the concern of handling the material with proper respect is suitably satisfied by the fact that this course is already freely and publicly available online (published by the content producer): https://lecture2go.uni-hamburg.de/l2go/-/get/v/17545

4 Likes

Thanks @ Aminah. I was just about to post this link. Although I’m also no expert in such matters, my understanding is that when his courses become publicly available they are posted on the site (Numata Studeis at Univ of Hamburg) or any other official one (like BCBS which co-sponsored the last course). While the course is going on, participants are asked not to post materiall from the course until it is made freely avaiable.

I think it’s important to respect copyright laws (thanks @Brenna) even though we feel/wish all Dhamma was available without such restrictions (and I understand @musiko’s desire to do so) . I do know Ven Analayo makes as much of his work as possible available freely on-line when it does not violate copyright restrictions. Sometimes, even though he certainly wants the material to be read/studied, this means, for example, that he has to wait a certain number of years after a book is published in order to abide by such restictions. Other times articles can be made freely avaiable after they are published such as in certain journals), again depending on the restrictions of the publisher. The papers on the Numata site are regulary updated when it becomes possible to do so.

4 Likes

Thank you all for a well-considered discussion on the topic of availability and proper use of Dhamma resources. I understand the point of view from the perspective of @Brenna and @Nadine—which was probably influenced by actually participating in these courses (a big sadhu for that!) as they unravelled—and therefore voiced a valid concern about improper sharing of not-yet-published resources (at that time made available for participants’ personal use only).

And I’m also grateful for the benefit of the doubt extended by @Aminah:

• first to the right intention behind making these teachings available (which alone, IMO does not justify the view expressed below, although I understand where it is coming from):
  • and especially second by making an effort to actually check and find the actual terms and availability of these resources (which were unfortunately moved around a couple of times since I acquired them for a personal study archive and even more sadly I can’t find some of them any longer on the new site—although they probably still are buried somewhere),

before making an informed opinion.

I agree that proper care should be taken when making otherwise freely available resources available here, regardless of form in which they are presented. And it is also important to make a proper distinction between the contents and the containers. It is the contents that are of essence and the containers are only useful if they preserve the content to the degree that still conveys the intended meaning. In that respect I believe this was the proper way to do it.

And since I was meaning to write the following anyway at some point, the best time to do anything being now, here it goes:

Building a repository of bandwidth friendly audio resources inspired by EBTs

TL;DR Building online repository of freely available mobile stream/download friendly audio teachings by respected teachers inspired by Early Buddhist Texts (EBTs) connected to Sutta Central (SC) as a study/inspirational resource.

Motivation

• To simplify access to otherwise publicly available but scattered audio resources inspired by and connected to EBTs in accordance with the D&D Forum guidelines
  • To provide easily accessible, intuitive to use, light on resources and simple to manage container for the aforementioned audio content
  • To enable the way to add, extend and improve the resources by community input, discussions and summaries

Sources

All audio and other resources were acquired with honest assumption they were freely available—if an issue regarding copyright or improper attribution arises in the future it is solely by my oversight, so please warn me and I will correct the mistake.

All talks are in principle teacher and/or lineage agnostic as long as they are well respected and in line with EBTs. They absolutely do not cover the whole range of other great contemporary teachers and are solely what I—as a non-native English speaker—found useful and understandable in plain language. It so happens that currently most of the Dhamma contained in these recordings comes from the land of Oz (and is represented by teachers such aa Ajahn Brahm, Bhante Sujato, Ajahn Brahmali and the dual sangha of bhikkhunis and bhikkhus of BSWA), as well as from other respected EBT teachers such as Analayo Bhikkhu.

Containers and sizes

All talks are re-encoded in 16kbps 11kHz Mono mp3 format without significant loss from original speech (where audio quality is poor it is due to poor source), all converted from publicly available sources (source quality may vary considerably) and offer excellent file size to duration ratio (approximately 7,7 MB per 1 hour of talk, where currently a lot of available materials published nowadays are in the neighbourhood of 150–200 MB per 1–1,5h talks.

All the talks can be easily found on D&D by using Discuss & Discover—Search.

Acknowledgements

First I would like to extend my deepest gratitude and reverence—for making this resources freely available—to all my heroes, especially the Buddha and those in the present such as Ajahn Brahm, Bhante @Sujato, Ajahn @Brahmali and many others, including valued members of this community.

Second, I have been lurking on this forum since the very beginning and have gained some valuable insights into different topics, especially those which seemingly are not an issue for me—such as valuable insights into gender issues—and learning to understand previous non-issues from a different than my current point of view. I have learnt to appreciate the wisdom of Bhante Sujato for entrusting the moderation of this forum to those who experience and live those issues first-hand. You have helped made this forum into what it is today—a warm and friendly community—so a big Sadhu and :anjal: to the entire moderating team!

Having said that; I’m carefully observing the state of my mind and I’m still not confident that my active participation—other than making these audio talks available—is currently beneficial, so I will continue to Lurk moar! :smile: and limit my responses only to posts directly connected to the issues like this one or to topics related to errors, omissions or suggestions regarding audio talks themselves.

And last, but not the least, I’m hoping that some of this talks will prove to be of benefit to some of you, as they have been for me, and I’m also hoping many more community members will help extend their value by following this beautiful example:

It would be great if you—when you find a specific talk especially beneficial—would spare a minute to post a short summary and a few key topics in the commentary below the topic (and use quote where there are many talks in the same topic): impressions will be especially clear after listening, and I wish I had the means to annotate the talks in such an easy way when I first listened to them. And if there are any errors, especially with SC IDs (which automagically link the topic to the relevant sutta on SC) please drop me a note under the thread.

It only took me 10 years to collect (and listen to most, some still on queue) talks, so I reckon no more than 3 years of group effort to add additional info :smile: and making them even more available to those, who will benefit from them.

2 Likes

Thank you so much musiko, I’ve only skimmed the latter half of your post but all in all it looks to me like a splendid reflection.

I just wanted to make a quick clarification on the following point, more ‘for the record’, and hope it is just as quickly set aside leaving room for discussion on the actual course content to flourish.

In fact, I didn’t wish to give (not that it’s really my place to) any ‘benefit of the doubt’ on the first mentioned grounds and find the encouragement to breech copyright law unfortunate.

I do, indeed, like to acknowledge good intentions, I further like to recognise serious moral and logical difficulties with copyright law, especially in connection to the Dhamma and by preference would see entirely different ways of people relating to each other and their work and of stewarding the various gifts (spiritual, intellectual and material) handed on through the generations. Nevertheless, acknowledging, recognising and having preferences are quite different from supporting what in my eyes is poor practice. My ‘benefit of the doubt’ was extended solely on the pragmatic grounds that the material is already publicly and freely available.

2 Likes