BSWA Bhikkhuni & Bhikkhu Sangha---Sunday Sutta Class (Digha Nikaya)---Dhammaloka 2003--present

Sunday Sutta Class from bhikkhuni and bhikkhu sangha at Dhammaloka Centre, Perth, WA.

Sunday Sutta readings and discussions are offered semimonthly (except during Rains Retreat) and usually cover a single sutta or a common topic from different suttas. Sutta classes are available live here. Large archive of sutta classes is also maintained and published regularly here.

The following archive provides a collection of all publicly available sutta classes encoded for easy and mobile friendly access (hour and a half long talks usually do not exceed 15 MB of download).

Ajahn Brahm (2005) DN 9 1/1 101′ 12,07 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2013) DN 9 part 1/2 1/2 91′ 10,35 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2013) DN 9 part 2/2 2/2 87′ 9,95 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2018) DN 9 part 1/2 1/1 104′ 11,86 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2018) DN 9 part 2/2 1/1 101′ 11,54 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2016) DN 15 part 1/2 1/2 120′ 13,69 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2016) DN 15 part 2/2 2/2 94′ 10,70 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Appichato (2016) DN 16 1/1 76′ 8,68 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Appichato (2012) DN 19 1/1 102′ 12,48 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2018) DN 27 1/1 95′ 10,78 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2014) DN 29 1/1 93′ 11,39 MB :arrow_down: :unicorn:
Ajahn Brahm (2016) DN 29 1/1 89′ 10,19 MB :arrow_down:
Ajahn Brahm (2019) DN 29 1/1 91′ 10,35 MB :arrow_down:

Links to similar content

Are you planning to post all 1000s of Brahm speeches and 1000000s of other dhamma talk mps3? I don’t get it, there are specialized sites that are much better equipped for it

@Vimala Ayya, am I off here, or are the dozens of AV postings of unlimited series not misplaced at SC? I always thought of it as an exceptional posting for unusual AV media. I’m sure people know where to turn to in order to get their Brahm infusion.

1 Like

IMO I think there’s a place for material like this, particularly if it’s related to early Buddhism or the suttas (kept to the main purposes of the site and isn’t too general: not everything but the kitchen sink). I think the threads in the Wiki and Reading Guide section of this site are very nice (not too many and quite focused). I think these new posts are designed for use for a search function, but I’m not sure how many people actually use this AV search function (I’ve haven’t anyway :slight_smile: ). Is this AV search approach incompatible with categorizing these posts in threads? IMO ideally there’d be perhaps a dozen threads in the AV section categorizing this material into some broad logical early Buddhism or other categories with a summary of the material for thread in the OP with maybe links to later posts (and then individual, perhaps quite long posts, within these threads). I think this could be a nice collection of early Buddhist resources, but I have my doubts about way it’s being structured currently (just my two cents :slight_smile: ). I know search engines seem to be the main way to find data these days, but lots of people still like hierarchical structured table-of-contents organizations (rather like yahoo used to do and probably still does).

EDIT: I don’t know what the moderators or other people think, but I’d hazard a guess (given the very few replies either way) that most people would be fairly OK with what you’re doing, particularly if you keep a mostly EBT/sutta focus. A small number of posts a day doesn’t annoy me, and they are all confined to within the AV section of the site anyway.

3 Likes

Thank you, this is my position also. Especially after response and encouragement here:

As for the kitchen sink: it is very difficult to guess what will be of benefit to whom. For someone interested in intellectually dissecting the intricate pali grammar cases anything but heavy pali quoting may be perceived as clutter here. Or there may even be certain topics or teachers standing firmly behind them—like the ‘vivicceva kāmehi’ meaning secluded from the five senses —that may challenge one’s views and would perhaps make such teachings and teachers scorned to the point of not being in line with the ‘true meaning’ of the EBTs and also deemed inappropriate here.

Or someone may still be very early on the path and some inspirational talks or devotional chanting or meditation instructions would ease their minds and slowly deepen their understanding to the point that would eventually enable them to benefit from the wealth of resources both here and on Sutta Central.

I would definitely rather see a multitude of (quality) resources connected to and inspired by EBTs available for everyone to choose for themselves rather than a few selected ones approved by experts.

Organization of hierarchically grouped resources is something which a flat forum structure is not ideally built for, this much is evident. And we already discussed difficulties regarding automatic linkage of suttas to specific thread if all audio resources were to be posted in a single thread, here:

All of this of course does not preclude someone to later implement the organizing and categorizing of these resources—as you aptly suggest—and all this can be achieved with just a few lines of markdown like this:

BSWA Sutta Class

Majjhima Nikaya

Anyway, for those interested, the motivation and selection of audio resources gathered in these threads is available here (as part of reply in a similar thread):

2 Likes