Anyone know about Tithi?

Hello… Anyone know about “Tithi” ? I’m looking for detail information… Thanks. :smiley: #Arya

According to Buddhism mind is nothing but a complex compound of fleeting mental states. One unit of consciousness consists of three phases – arising or genesis (uppada) static or development (thiti), and cessation or dissolution (bhanga). Immediately after the cessation stage of a thought moment there occurs the genesis stage of the subsequent thought-moment. Each momentary consciousness of this ever-changing life-process, on passing away, transmits its whole energy, all the indelibly recorded impressions to its successor. Every fresh consciousness consists of the potentialities of its predecessors together with something more. There is therefore, a continuous flow of consciousness like a stream without any interruption. The subsequent thought moment is neither absolutely the same as its predecessor – since that which goes to make it up is not identical – nor entirely another – being the same continuity of kamma energy. Here there is no identical being but there is an identity in process.

http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell09.htm

Thiti-bhāgiya-sīla, Thiti-bhāgiya-samādhi, Thiti-bhāgiya-paññā: ‘static morality, static concentration, static understanding’; see: hāna-bhāgiya-sīla

http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Buddhist.Dictionary/dic3_t.htm

Tithi is an obscure word meaning “a lunar day”. But as Sarath assumes, you probably mean ṭhiti, right? Some context would help us understand your question better.

Yup… A lunar day. I’m looking for detail information… :slight_smile:

Sorry, that’s all the dictionary says. It’s an obscure word, which is not found in the Suttas, so far as I know.

May I ask why you’re interested?

2 Likes

Hi Jhindra,

Tithi as it is used in India now is just a name for the phase of the moon/lunar day.
Eg: Shukla prathama = first day of the bright half; Krishna dasami = tenth day of the dark half;

In traditional ephemeris(pancanga) making, the calculation is based on the difference between the lunar and solar longitudes in the celestial sidereal zodiac; If the difference is zero, it is amavasya/new moon and if the difference is 180, it is poornima/full moon.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I’m interested because it connected to my country history… :smiley:

thank you… :smiley:

1 Like