Apologies for the recent outage

This forum was down for several hours yesterday. Our apologies for that! The outage was due to a severe, long-lasting, and widespread disruption with our server, Digital Ocean. They have fixed the problem.

https://status.digitalocean.com/#

6 Likes

At 5 a.m. this morning, I made coffee, put the dogs outside, and clicked on Sutta Central, and… no D&D forum.

I literally did not know what to do with myself. :wink:

11 Likes

Lol! Same! I kept refreshing every hour. How am I supposed to obsessively moderate when the server is down! :yum:

6 Likes

Time to reconsider some life choices, perhaps :thinking:

8 Likes

It was terrible. I had to read a book.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Likewise, though it was night-early morning here… thinking maybe a DOS attack by frustrated fans of politico-discussion…

7 Likes

To be honest, I actually read some Suttas. I turned to MN10 as its length and my general need to keep reviewing these Suttas brought me there. It suggested to me that I need spend more time with the Suttas, and maybe that I am using some of my time cruising forums when I should just be cementing these Suttas in my mind. I really enjoy the thoughtful camaraderie and the informative exchanges here, and learn a lot every day. But, at the end of the day, the Suttas need attention, too. I noted that I need spend more time with them, and not researching the mesentery and the like, and offering my jibber jabber about mesenteric infarctions …

8 Likes

Yup. Me too. My book was actually Bhikkhu Bodhi’s new “The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony” which is actually a collection of sutta translations by topic.

6 Likes

Excellent! I ordered the download to that book many weeks ago, but confess I’ve only read parts of it off my laptop while traveling. I’d love to hear your review of it when you’re done, Gwen.

3 Likes

Because of the lack of intellectual input I had to read some old Eisel Mazard’s essays and even found out about this amazing book by Bhikkhu Bodhi with so many rare essays and articles. Definitely ordering it next month.

You know what? After several dozens of pages of Mazard’s incessant ranting and provocation I can tell you one thing: I love Sutta Central.

6 Likes

It appears everyone had a great time when the server down except Blake and Bhante Sujato.
I was contemplating on Anicc and Dukkha. (Not Anatta because I am confused about the meaning now.:grinning:)
Perhaps it is a good idea to shut down the Sutta Central on Uposata days. (just joking)

10 Likes

Oh, no, we had a great time, too. It was nice knowing that there was nothing we could do. A rare instance when it really was someone else’s problem.

6 Likes

I’m headed to Aloka Vihara in California to stay with Ayyas Anandabodhi and Santacitta for a couple of weeks - and I won’t have internet access there, so I might not get the book review done for a while. All the sutta translations are available in his other works, of course, but it is nice to have them here organized by topic. I’m enjoying savoring them - a little like reading a book of poetry actually. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Dear Gwen, no worries! Of course, I didn’t mean that I wanted you to do a book review, but that I was interested in what you thought of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s book generally. I recall from my last look at it (on a flight to Thailand) that the last few chapters really hit where I wanted the book to hit home. I’ll pick it up again (on the laptop) and maybe we can compare notes this summer. Most importantly, enjoy your trip to Aloka Vihara, and have a safe trip out there.

Michael

4 Likes

I won’t have internet access

Don’t you think that’s taking things a little too far? :astonished:

6 Likes

That’s the Aloka part of the Vihara. :wink:

Thanks for the good wishes @AnagarikaMichael! :anjal:

3 Likes

Oh whoops…I didn’t realise this was such an old thread…I saw a link to it and thought it had happened recently…'cos I kept getting a message yesterday saying there was a problem at your end. Something about the host or server… Anyway, I just couldn’t get on at all yesterday.

2 Likes