Applying Sutta Central methods to Pali chants

Is a word for word translation of the Theravada Pali chants available? This would be most useful not only in a direct understanding of the language of the chants but in learning Pali as one chants every day!

Hi @starryarcher,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions about the forum, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

The Digital Pali Reader has the option to enter your own Pali text and then click to look up words if that’s what you are after.

https://www.digitalpalireader.online

It’s a little wonky, though. Seems you first have to go to one of the built in texts. Then in the bottom panel, enter your text and click “analyze”

Then in the top section your text will appear with the ability to click to look up:

1 Like

Thank you
Although some ajahns feel you only have to chant in Pali and you dont need to understand; others feel it is better to know what you are chanting. I practice in the Theraveda tradition and the chanting books( for example Ajahn Jeff’s)are are very figurative translation which is not very helpful while chanting. A literal translation, word for word, would be a wonderful way to learn some Pali and to bring the chants more to life and,I think, easier to memorize.I think so many would find this both useful and energizing.
Thank you for this wonderful resource.
JeffW

1 Like

Really? I found his chanting book quite literal in its translations…

Sure the word order is sometimes a bit different, but even with my little knowledge of Pāḷi it’s quite easy to figure out which English word maps to which Pāli term… (Something not always easy in, for example, the Amaravati book, which really does have some more figurative translations)

From the Mangala Sutta(Ajahn Jeff):
" Patirupa-desa vaso-ca Pubbe-ca punnata
Atta-samma-panidhi ca. Etam-mangalam-uttamam
Living in a civilized country, having made merit in the past, directing oneself rightly,This is the highest blessing"
Word for word:
“Suitable place reside Past done meritorious actions
Oneself rightly directed. This blessing highest”

The mapping is far from literal without knowing Pali. It may be poetic, it may be close, but literal it is not; Ex;“Patirupa desa-vaso ca” doesn’t equal "Living in a civilized country"and if I gave you the Pali word Patirupa,where is the English?

Perhaps I should not have mentioned any translation/translator but merely asked for help in literally translating the Pali as, for me, it is difficult, especially with Sanskrit words thrown in.

Edit: Pubbe-ca punnata should read Pubbe-ca kata-punnata. kata is Pali for “done”