Are ṁ ṃ and ṅ ṇ different letters?

Hello venerable,

I’ve been teaching the same in my Pali classes and I’m glad to see the research you’ve done. One example I always gave was that sa.m would sound like the French word sans.

To me also the sandhis of the niggahita (like ta.m ca into ta~nca, and such - sorry don’t have pali keyboard here) clarify that it was originally a nasalization of the vowel. For this results naturally from nasalizing the vowel.

Also it being in the original manuscripts more like a diacritic does not really suggest a consonant perhaps. I’m no expert on this though.

If I recall correctly, I found this video helpful, although it’s on Sanskrit.

Re: Warder on no oral air release:

I don’t have quick access to the Warder book), but I think Warder is relying (correctly) on the Samantapasadika on that point re closed mouth (avivaṭena mukhena):

'Niggahita’’nti yaṃ karaṇāni niggahetvā avissajjetvā avivaṭena mukhena sānunāsikaṃ katvā vattabbaṃ.

Not that “anunāsika” means much here. It could equally be referring to a sound involving both the oral and nasal cavity (anu+nāsika), rather than a pervasive nasalisation of the vowel.

1 Like

Thank you, Venerable, for your help.
with metta
Trevor

1 Like

Thanks for sharing; I’ll have a look!

Looks interesting; I appreciate the sharing.

Indeed.

We must say, becoming a bhikkhunī comes close to do as well as one can in this world, but your high-school teacher, taking probably a worldly perspective, would perhaps disagree … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like