Are there what seem later additions in the Bhikkhu Vibhanga?

Hello everyone,

Can some knowledgeable people point to me what seems later additions in the Bhikkhu Vibhanga ?

@sujato @Brahmali

Thank you

A lot! Generally speaking the analysis is later than the rules themselves. And we could also strity the analysis, but that’s less easy. In the Khandhakas, i’d say it’s pretty clear that they are somewhat later than the suttas.

As always, every large body of texts is formed over a period of time, and there will be earlier and later portions.

I noticed also the mention of Abhidhamma in both the Bhikkhu and Bhikkhuni Vibhanga.

Bhikkhu Pc on criticising the rules:

anāpatti na vivaṇṇetukāmo, "iṅgha tvaṃ suttante vā gāthāyo vā abhidhammaṃ vā pariyāpuṇassu, pacchā vinayaṃ pariyāpuṇissasī"ti bhaṇati, ummattakassa, ādikammikassāti.

And in Bhikkhuni Pc:

anokāsakatanti [V 0.478] anāpucchā. bhikkhunti upasampannaṃ. pañhaṃ puccheyyāti suttante okāsaṃ kārāpetvā vinayaṃ vā abhidhammaṃ vā pucchati, āpatti pācittiyassa. vinaye okāsaṃ kārāpetvā suttantaṃ vā abhidhammaṃ vā pucchati, āpatti pācittiyassa. abhidhamme okāsaṃ kārāpetvā suttantaṃ vā vinayaṃ vā pucchati, āpatti pācittiyassa.

There is also some mentions in the Mahāvagga and Parivāra. We could say that they are later additions as the Buddha didn’t teach the Abhidhamma or else referring simply to higher teachings regarding Dhamma.