Ariyaaṭṭhaṅgikamaggesu and its translation to "The Noble Eightfold Path"

ariyaaṭṭhaṅgikamaggesu is translated to “The Noble Eightfold Path”. Presumably, this is because there are eight steps to it. I would like to explore the possibility that the Eightfold reference may have originally been to the Octads, that is, the eight stanza poems that are Snp 4.2, Snp 4.3, Snp 4.4, and Snp 4.5. In other words, could it be translated to something like “The Noble Path of the Octads/Eights” based on the grammar and meaning of the words without considering that the path has eight steps?

Why do you put it in the locative?
Instead of, say, ‘ ariyaaṭṭhaṅgikamagga’ or ‘ ariyo atthaṅgiko maggo ?

I did a search on “Noble Eightfold Path” and this was the first instance on the list. I believe it was a title of a sutta. Perhaps, that is why. If it were ariyo atthaṅgiko maggo, what would the answer to my question be?

Short answer, no. Atthangiko means “eight - factor - ed” if we break it down into the corresponding English components. An anga is a limb, like limbs on a body or tree, and by extension means a ‘factor’ or ‘component,’ like ‘bojjhanga’ means ‘awakening factor.’

1 Like

Is there any reason why the eight parts could not be the eight stanzas in the octads rather than the eight steps of the path?

Let’s put the question another way, how would you say “the path of the octads” or “the octad’s path” in Pali?

The Sutta Nipata ‘Book of the Eights’ is called ‘ Aṭṭhakavagga ‘ in Pali.

So maybe what you’re asking would be ‘ *Aṭṭhakamagga’ in Pali.

But I’m not aware of that compound actually existing in the Canon.

1 Like