*Arthapada Sūtra Translation

Wow! @cdpatton I’m jumping up and down over here! That was great detective work. What did you do: just run a search of 坐 in the whole text? See? I didn’t think of that. Completely separate from coming to conclusions about anything, I’m just learning technique from you through this.

I’m still seeing 憂可 as a single compound word, however, whereas your translation seems to imply that you parse the line 坐憂 | 可起變訟. Do we have any other 2-4 lines? Because I’ve pretty much been reading everything as 3-3. But, anyway, that’s a small discrepancy in reading a character; catching that 坐 is far more important. Thanks!

I’ve been working on a post moving on to the third and fourth stanzas for a few days already, but it’s been taking longer than I expected: they’re quite confusing (at least to me), and in a more subtle way than the first two. I’m glad now that I didn’t upload.

I get giddy with little things like this. (I suspect you do too.)

1 Like

Yeah, that was a key thing in improving my ability to read these texts. Also, the realization that each translator or text really should be looked at independent of dictionaries or other texts. I.e., they can have idiosyncrasies that would be overlooked if a person just uses a general dictionary to read them. So, then, setting Indic parallels against them is important, if they exist, to notice nuance differences in usage.

If searching CBETA is cumbersome, I’ve found that Microsoft Word is great for searching an entire Chinese text. Paste it all into one document, and it’ll find strings pretty quick and let you flip through them fast.

Yeah, the thing is that 可 isn’t a postfix word AFAIK. It can be an auxiliary verb in front of verbs, or it can form adjectives from nouns “can be pleasure” = “pleasurable.” Just to be sure (since I don’t know classical Chinese as well as Buddhist Chinese), I searched for 憂可 in CBETA. It occurs about 30 times in the entire canon, and when I look at the hits, they are false hits. 憂可 just happen to be next to each other.

The only thing that would make sense to me is that the terms were accidently transposed, which could happen. 憂可起 and 可憂起 both make sense, so an accidental typo would be difficult to detect by editors.

Um, yeah, there’s a relief to figuring something like this out after multiples attempts. Perserverence does pay off! Usually, at least some. I mostly SMH at how much a person needs to know to parse this stuff. I’ve never encountered 坐 used that way before, so I was as confused as you were.

3 Likes

Right! It generally takes years to develop such a familiarity with subtle nuance. That’s why the big dogs in the field–Nattier, Vetter, and Zacchetti and Karashima before they passed–compile glossaries for individual translators, or even individual translators’ individual works.

Thanks for that one! That’d work great one working with an individual text.

No, you’re absolutely right. In fact, I was sort of obliquely asking about that in an earlier post when I asked whether you knew if 可愛 (and, by implication, 可-anything) dated back this far. I would say 可憂 is the preferred reading, where we’re reading 可憂 as a adjectival noun compound. Then we’d have 坐可憂 | 起變訟: “Owing to the sorrowable, debates and disputes arise.” If we accepted 憂可, I would have to parse 坐憂 | 可起變訟, reading 可 as apart of a compound verb, 可起, because, just as you said, we have no precedent for 可 functioning as a postfix. But, as I said earlier, 2-4 in this line seems highly irregular metrically. (Although I must admit that I have yet to comb through every verse in the Arthapada to say definitively.)

Again, and it’s fine if you and I differ here, I still see 憂 as a transmission error for 愛, as the CBETA editorial team seems to be implying by glossing 憂 as piya. Also, not only is 可愛 attested as a direct response to this sentence in the following stanza, we have piya in the Pāli in precisely both these places.

So, my reading is

憂可 → 可憂 → 可愛

giving us

“坐可愛 | 起變訟”
“Owing to that which is held dear, debates and disputes arise.”

I’m much more comfortable with this reading now. First, I feel better knowing (Thanks to your detective work!) that we don’t have to rewrite 坐. That’s a big load off my mind, because I was really grasping at straws! But, second, I hadn’t noticed before, but, using the CBETA search function just now (Again, thanks!), I see that, other than this 憂可/可憂 occurrence, 憂 only appears two other times in this poem: right here in the first and second stanzas! Both times it appears as part of the compound 憂痛, where, assuming correspondence with the Pāli, it would stand for paridevasoka. Knowing now that 憂 appears twice in close proximity, once just before and once just after, it is even easier to argue that, in addition to the 憂可起/可憂起 transposition you identified, the 憂 of 憂可 is also a copyist’s error for 愛.

It certainly does!

Is it known with any degree of certainty what school of Buddhism this parallel is from?

1 Like

Not that I know of personally, but there may be scholarship that has attempted to deduce it. Japanese and European scholars have been working on these problems more than English academia has, so it may not be in English if a study has been done.

It would appear that it was known to most Buddhist sects from Lamotte’s footnote to his French translation of Kumārajīva’s Commentary to the Great Prajñāpāramitā Sutra (T1509). His footnotes in that translation are themselves quite a reference sometimes for comparative studies.

Judging by the title of T198, which is “Arthapada” instead of “Arthavargiya,” I’d start with the suspicion it was from a Dharmaguptaka canon. What’s clear from Lamotte’s note is that this text was known throughout the Buddhist world. Every major school appears to have had a version of it, which does argue strongly for it to be very old material.

Here’s a summary of passages that Lamotte lists in his footnote about sources quoting it in various languages:

1. The Commentary on the Great Prajñāpāramitā Sutra

At T1509.25.63c12, the title is transliterated as *Attavagga Sutra (阿他婆耆經). The passage there quotes verses from the Māgandiya Sutta. The Commentary appears to be consistent with Sarvāstivāda doctrine and lore combined with mainstream Madhyamika Mahāyāna philosophy.

However, another quotation at 60c calls it the Myriad Meanings Chapter (眾義品), which is the name given by Xuanzang in his translation of the Mahāvibhāṣā listed below.

2. The Divyāvadāna

This is a Sanskrit collection of avadāna stories from the Mūlasarvāstivāda Vinaya. It gives the title as Arthavargīyāṇi sūtrāṇi.

3. The Kośavyākhyā

This was a commentary by Yasomitra to Vasubandhu’s Abhidharma Kośa. It tells us that the Arthavargīyāṇi sūtrāṇi was found in a Kṣudraka Āgama, which was apparently equiv. to the Theravāda Khuddaka Nikāya.

4. Saṃyukta Āgama (SĀ 551)

The Chinese translation quotes a verse from the Māgandiya Sutta, translating the title of the text as *Arthavarga (義品).

5. Abhidharma Mahāvibhāṣā (T1545)

This is Xuanzang’s translation of the mammoth commentary on the Abhidharma Jñānaprasthāna by the Vaibhāṣika branch of the Sarvāstivāda. It translates the title as Myriad Meanings Chapter (眾義品) at 17a13 when quoting a verse. This quote appears to directly follow a verse quoted from a text called the Pārāyana (波羅衍拏).

6. The Vinaya Mātṛkā (T1463)

This is a Chinese Vinaya commentary of unclear origins, apparently written from a Sarvāstivāda perspective. It includes a story about the compiling of the Buddhist canon, and it lists the Dharmapāda (法句), “Explanations of Meaning” (說義 ~ *Arthavarga?), and Pārāyana (波羅延) as examples of sutras that were placed in a Saṃyukta Piṭaka (雜藏).

7. The Chinese Mahīśāsaka Vinaya (T1421)

There’s a story at 144b14 about the Buddha sharing lodging one night with Śroṇakoṭī. After a long (awkward?) night of not saying anything, the Buddha invites him to give a Dharma teaching. Śroṇakoṭī then recites the sixteen Arthavarga sutras (十六義品經).

8. Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya (T1425)

At 416a2, the Buddha teaches a group of monks. Afterward, he asks them if they recite the sutras, and they reply that they do. When he asks which sutras they recite, they say that they recite the Varga of Eight sutras (八跋祇 = *Aṣṭakavarga).

9. Dharmaguptaka Vinaya (T1428)

This is another version of the story with Śroṇakoṭī. Here, the title of his recitation is translated as “Sixteen Lines Meaning” (十六句義). 句義 here might be equiv. to *Arthapāda.

4 Likes

You mentioned a text called Parayana a couple of times. Were there parallels to the parayanavagga in other schools of Buddhism or are these mentions something different with a similar name? I was under the impression that the Parayanavagga was only found in the Theravada canon.

There are references to the Pārāyanavagga in Northern sources. The Milindapañha is one example (an originally northern text). It’s also mentioned in the Yogācārabhūmi. There are also some suttas which mention passages from the Parayana which have Chinese parallels and verse parallels in some collections like the Dharmapada or Udanavarga. The references in the northern Vinayas are also to the same text. Many of these parallels are on SC :slight_smile:

1 Like

To clarify, there are mentions and quotes of passages from it, but not the whole of the Parayanavagga? I’ll look into those quote parallels next. Hopefully they are translated into English. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s my understanding. There’s evidence that it existed in other Buddhist canons, but the Theravada is the only full version of it that survives.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’ve had quite a bit going on lately, and this got away from me somewhat. I’d like to thank everyone for their contributions heretofore, and, if there’s nothing further with the first question and answer set, let’s move on to the stanzas three and four.

The Chinese reads:

世可愛何從起? 轉世間何所貪?
從置有不復欲, 從不復轉行受,

本所欲著世愛, 以利是轉行苦。
不捨有從是起, 以故轉後復有。

for which, Bapat gives the following English rendering:

“Things beloved-—what are they due to?
So also greeds that in the world strut about?
By the stopping of what [things], will expectations be no more,‘
So that, to the worldly life, there will be no more return?” (Sn. 864.)

“These dear ones exist because of passionate longing,
Favouring the springing up of suffering in this world,
The perfection‘ of expectations doth arise from them,
And hence are returns to the lives here-after.”(Sn. 865.)

CBETA lists no emendations or alternate character readings for the Chinese text. The corresponding Pāli stanzas read:

Piyā su lokasmiṁ kutonidānā, [Variant: Piyā suPiyānu (sya-all) Piyassu (ka)]
Ye cāpi lobhā vicaranti loke; [Variant: cāpivāpi (sya-all, pts-vp-pli1)]
Āsā ca niṭṭhā ca kutonidānā,
Ye samparāyāya narassa honti”.

Chandānidānāni piyāni loke,
Ye cāpi lobhā vicaranti loke; [Variant: cāpivāpi (bj, sya-all, pts-vp-pli1)]
Āsā ca niṭṭhā ca itonidānā,
Ye samparāyāya narassa honti”.

My thoughts are as follows:

As stated above, I originally thought the 坐 of the previous stanza may have been a copyist’s error for 世 here. @cdpatton cleared that up with some great detective work. This stands to reasons as 世, which is so clearly a translation of lokasmiṁ, only makes its first appearance here. English translations of the Pāli generally treat this phrase as signifying lusts or desires being in the world (or, alternatively, their causes). Obviously, this is a wholly acceptable, literal translation. However, the Chinese 世可愛 reads to me something more like love for the world, which is in keeping with the general theme of common people’s concern for rebirth. There is a slight difference in the second line where the same loke (the shortened form probably used for metrical purposes) is translated 世間–the suffix 間 implying a space within which vicaranti 轉 could take place. That this sense is not present in the first line is more strongly implied by the Chinese, though, when viewed together with the Chinese, it becomes apparent that neither is it present in the Pāli (at least not explicitly). Therefore, I am inclined to read the first line of the Chinese a little differently than how the corresponding Pāli is usually translated. (I am also now questioning those common translations of the Pāli: are we perhaps reading into the first line a sense more appropriate to the second?)

Bapat seems to completely ignore the 世 character in the first line.

While the second line in the Pāli is not explicitly a question, the ca/va would seem to tie it in to line 1, thus lending it an interrogative sense by association. The Chinese, however, adds the character 何 (what?, which?, wherefore?) to the second line to clearly mark it as a question. This is strange as the next two lines, which are clearly questions in the Pāli, are not obviously so in the Chinese: Bapat’s “what [things]” appears to be an insertion. (That is, unless @cdpatton is able to discern something similar going on here as with 坐 in the stanza above. Perhaps with 置?)

The first two lines of stanza four, answering lines 1&2 of stanza three, correspond well enough–at least in the case of the first line. 世愛 here replaces 世可愛 above, with the adjectival sense of this 世 as a modifier of (可)愛 being even more pronounced thereby. Again, Bapat inexplicably ignores any notion of world, worldly, or worldliness in the first line. 欲 here translates chandā, though we saw it translate an entirely different term, probably āsā or something resembling it, in line 3 of the third stanza above. Line 2, however, is quite puzzling, and Bapat’s translation is “interpretive,” to say the least.

First, “world” appears nowhere in the line. One could say he’s transposed it from the previous line, but there it was part of compound: it was the subject of piya, and we would have to remove it from that context in order to move it here, This would be arbitrary on both counts, but it is precisely what Bapat appears to have done. Next, we have the character 利, “gain” or benefit," which Bapat appears to interpret as a verbal: “favouring.” Barring for the moment the possibility that the source-text differed greatly from the Pāli, 利 could possibly stand for lābha or some derivative which may have been a misreading of lobha. Of course, we have no idea what the source read, but lobha or something similar seems to be what the source read, at least in the third stanza, where we have 貪, a standard rendering of lobha. At the same time, there’s an internal logic here insofar as 利 (*lābha) does logically follow as what would give rise to 貪 (lobha). However, 轉行苦, the second half of the second line, is a puzzle.

We took 轉 for vicaranti in the preceding stanza and would expect it to stand for the same here, as the Pāli is a simple repetition of the corresponding line from the previous stanza. But, as we see, the two Chinese lines diverge significantly. In any case, are we to take 轉行 then as a compound signifying vicaranti? 行 as a derivative of vicarati finds a precedent in SĀ984/AN 4.199: 十八愛 = aṭṭhārasa taṇhāvicaritāni. Bapat seems indeed to read them as a compound, which he renders “springing up.”

At this point, I think I’m going to postpone saying more about lines 3 and 4 of both stanzas for a subsequent post, as they are quite complicated in and of themselves, and I’ve said a lot already for one post.

Peace.

2 Likes

Hmm. Something I find helpful (and is one the reasons I like this forum) is to put these parallels into a table (which can be done with Markdown notation). I’ll fill in some straightforward translations for the Chinese beside Sujato’s translation, but this is just as a starting point.

T198, No. 10, V. 3 Suttanipāta 4.11 V. 864 (Sujato) Correspondence
世可愛何從起 Piyā su lokasmiṁ kutonidānā , 世 = loka, 可愛 = piyā, 何從起 = kutonidānā
轉世間何所貪? Ye cāpi lobhā vicaranti loke ; 轉世間 = vicaranti? loke, 何所貪 = ye (cāpi) lobhā
從置有不復欲, Āsā ca niṭṭhā ca kutonidānā , 從 = kuto, 欲 = āsā
從不復轉行受, Ye samparāyāya narassa honti ”. n/a
"Whence do worldly delights arise “So where do things held dear in the world spring from?
What of the greed that goes around in the world?" And the lusts that are loose in the world?
"No more wishes come from stopping existence (possessions?); Where spring the hopes and aims
And that’s gotten from no more wandering. a man has for the next life?”

The ambiguity of 欲 is a little problematic. Is it āsā or chanda?

Another difficulty I see here is the meaning of 有. Does it mean existence (i.e., a life) or possessions? Later on, the Pali says: “possessions spring from wishing” (icchānidānāni pariggahāni). Could line 3 be the negation of that? “No more desire comes from stopping posessions”? It seems possible.

The natural reading of 轉 in C. is “turn” or “become,” but 轉行 does seem to mean “to go round/wander about.”

T198, No. 10, V. 4 Suttanipāta 4.11 V. 865 (Sujato) Correspondence
本所欲著世愛, Chandānidānāni piyāni loke , 本所欲 = chandānidānāni, 世愛 = piyāni loke
以利是轉行苦。 Ye cāpi lobhā vicaranti loke ; 轉行 = vicaranti
不捨有從是起, Āsā ca niṭṭhā ca itonidānā , 從是起 = itonidānā
以故轉後復有。 Ye samparāyāya narassa honti ”. 後復有 = samparāyāya
Attachment to the world’s delights originates in desire, “What we hold dear in the world spring from desire,
And this wandering is painful because of its profit. as do the lusts that are loose in the world.
This arises from not relinquishing existence (possessions?); From there spring the hopes and aims
Therefore, it turns into the next existence. a man has for the next life.”

I have no idea how Bapat arrives at his third line’s translation. He really goes off the rails sometimes.

2 Likes

How is this proceeding?

1 Like

Sorry. School started up again for me and that really put a clamp on things. I don’t even have time to read sūtras for interest let alone explore this this text. If you saw my last post on the third stanza, you’ll appreciate how dense this is. (Please understand that I actually left out of that post the majority of my musings on what could be saying.)

Thank you very much for the interest. I’ll get back to it when I have the time.

2 Likes