Ayurveda in suttas

I found out that people translated Vata at Yagu sutta as Wind, but it’s incorrect, obviously Buddha meant Vata dosha from Ayurveda. Concept of doshas and Ayurveda was already well known during Buddha’s lifetime. Vata Disha is not just wind, it is more complex, same as pitha or kapha doshas. Many yogis are using many Ayurveda medicine to balance their doshas in order to improve their meditation. For example Brahmi is very good for meditation. Even Buddha mentioned that some food is better and some food is worse for mediation. Unfortunately I don’t remember which part of tipitaka he mentioned it.

No ayurveda is not in the suttas. But the elements play a part in describing the mind, and the factors of awakening are divided into two groups asssociated with the elements fire and water in Samyutta Nikaya 46.53. The understanding of how fire could transform other elements into constructive purpose (such as pottery, metalwork, cooking) underlies the structure in the Satipatthana sutta, with fire representing the fourth foundation, which operates on the other three. Samyutta Nikaya 46.53 indicates meditation is a mental skill involving the use of different factors appropriate to the situation.

Yes, we can see the concepts that underlay ayurveda throughout the suttas when the elements are discussed. And in the Vinaya we see countless ayurvedic treatments mentioned. Of course you know that the most famous human ayurvedic doctor was Jīvaka, the Buddha’s physician.

But I don’t believe that the doshas are discussed. There are also other things that come up, like the proper part of the night for sleeping and which side to sleep on.

And as far as I know, even in the Vinaya there is no mention of specific foods that are better or worse for meditation, although perhaps Ven. @Brahmali remembers something.

The MN 114 Sevitabbāsevitabba sutta mentions food to associate with, however it is just mentioned in general.

There is a story from the Dhammapada commentary where a lay woman uses her psychic powers to see that the monks are not successful in meditation because they are not eating the kinds of foods they need. So I believe she caters to each one. But even then, there are no specific foods mentioned. As I recall it was more about them not getting food that agreed with them, not that they needed “meditation food.” Although, of course, some foods are classified as satvic. But if people were getting food that was making them unhealthy in general, then they might have a hard time meditating.

AN 10.11 Senāsana and AN 5.53 Padhāniyaṅga mention the importance of good digestion, although that may just be a general statement.

Perhaps Bhante @Sujato could comment on his choice of translation for vāta.

5 Likes

Actually there is a whole article about Ayurveda in Pali Canon, and according to this article there are mentioning of doshas concept at Pali canon for example term dosābhisanna does appear in tipitaka you can read about this at next article
https://journals.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/index.php/jiabs/article/view/8563/2470

1 Like

I know Tibetan treatment is also based on diagnosing winds, bile and phlegm. There can be a disbalance. Food plays a big role because certain food can, for example, increase winds.

Maybe it is not in the Pali Canon but i know there are food adviced for practioners. I remember that a very general rule isno food that irritates such as unions, garlic, hot spices, leek.

What are doshas?

Doshas described here Dosha - Wikipedia
As for food here the Buddha describes in one sutta how specific kind of porridge deleting excess of vata dosha here is a link to Yagu sutta SuttaCentral

Actually this Yagu porridge still well known in Sri Lanka it’s known as Kola Kanda or Samaayu Gotukola herbal porridge you can read about it here Kola kanda - Wikipedia

2 Likes