Behind the Scenes online talk with Bhante Sujato and Ajahn Brahmali

unnamed

In our times of uncertainty and change, when a reliable guide is so hard to find, the Buddha’s teaching is needed more than ever. Find out how you can help to bring his words of wisdom, compassion, and peace to those who need it.

Over fifteen years, SuttaCentral has grown and evolved into the world’s premier platform for reading and studying the Suttas and other early Buddhist scriptures.

Now we need your help to take us to the next stage.

Join Venerables Brahmali and Sujato on the 13th of December 2020 when they speak about their contributions to SuttaCentral so far.

2020-12-12T22:30:00Z2020-12-12T23:30:00Z in your local time.

This is a live event hosted online. Please register using the link below and the information you need to join will be emailed to you.
Please register here:

28 Likes

Thanks Deepika! Please everyone pass this along to your own mailing lists and social media contacts.

3 Likes

This is the link to share if you like.

4 Likes

I was trying to figure out around what time this would actually be in Europe and used Discourses’ time conversion tool. The following link should convert 9:30-10:30am Sunday December 13th to whatever time zone you are in. For example, it displays 10:30pm Saturday night for me, an 11 hours difference. Officially, it should be 10 hours difference to AEST, but seemingly there’s summer time applied in Australia at the moment too (for an extra hour):
2020-12-12T22:30:00Z2020-12-12T23:30:00Z

3 Likes

I read in the description that this event is tied to a fundraising drive to raise $50,000 for the next stage, but I don’t see any information about how to make a donation. Is it possible to supply the details please :pray: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re having trouble logging in this link might work

Meeting ID: 871 1746 0866

Passcode: TqAwWeS0h!

1 Like

Thank you very much Bhante @sujato and Ajahn @Brahmali for this morning talk. It was very informative and useful. Sadhu sadhu sadhu. :pray:

6 Likes

Are the talks recorded and available online?

1 Like

Thank you, Bhante @sujato and Ajahn @Brahmali for the great talk! And thank you @Deepika for all you did to make it happen! :pray:

Ajahn @Brahmali talked about Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis who changed sex and then moved from monk to nun or nun to monk. Where can I find those passages in the Vinaya?

Thank you.

5 Likes

Here they are in English:

At one time the characteristics of a woman appeared on a monk. They told the Master. He said: “Monks, I allow that very discipleship, that very ordination, those years as a monk, to be transferred to the nuns. The monks’ offenses that are in common with the nuns are to be dealt with in the presence of the nuns. For the monks’ offenses that are not in common with the nuns, there’s no offense.”

At one time the characteristics of a man appeared on a nun. They told the Master. He said: “Monks, I allow that very discipleship, that very ordination, those years as a nun, to be transferred to the monks. The nuns’ offenses that are in common with the monks are to be dealt with in the presence of the monks. For the nuns’ offenses that are not in common with the monks, there’s no offense.”

They are found in bhikkhu-pārājika 1, here.

7 Likes

Thank you, Ajahn @Brahmali :pray:

2 Likes
8 Likes

Thanks @Deepika, For making a topic and information on this. I’ just add the link here as well :slight_smile:

With Metta

YouTube premiere - Guest appearence by Ajahn Brahm

Please visit SuttaCentral.net/ donations page. Thank you for the enquiry.

1 Like

Viveka, it is already in the description, anyone who care to visit SuttaCentral.net can find the doantion page without much trouble. Thank you for the enquiry.

1 Like

@deepika @Brahmali @sujato Longshot, but has anyone applied for an American NEH grant?

The Digital Humanities Advancement Grants program (DHAG) supports innovative, experimental, and/or computationally challenging digital projects at different stages of their lifecycles, from early start-up phases through implementation and sustainability. Experimentation, reuse, and extensibility are valued in this program, leading to work that can scale to enhance scholarly research, teaching, and public programming in the humanities. The program also supports scholarship that examines the history, criticism, and philosophy of digital culture or technology and its impact on society. Proposals are welcome in any area of the humanities from organizations of all types and sizes.

2 Likes