Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: Warder lesson 14

DPD use of abbreviated term abs for what Warder calls gerund.

I may be the only one late for the party here. But I finally figured this out.

Study well! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

not the whole of Asia ā€¦ just two people in New Zealand!! (NZ lies east of both Australia and Asia.)

absolutive = Warderā€™s gerund.

1 Like

Literally any time works for me except my afternoon (my sleep is extremely flexible anyway) Thereā€™s also @sood

Oops :grimacing: ughā€¦yes, what I really meant was Asia, NZ, Australia and Europe!

I have two questions about the passage for reading.

tena hi samma tvaƱ ca sannabharam bandha, ahaƱ ca sannabharam bandhissāmi.

In DPD I can only find bandha either as ā€œropeā€ in composite or vocative, but not as the verb bind in imperative form, which seems to be what John Kelly brought up in the answer key. Can somebody help understand the use of bandha in this sentence?

And in this sentence:

te yena so janapado yenā€™ aƱƱataram gāmapadam tenā€™ upasamkamimsu.

When we have two yenas before the tena upasamkamati, this will indicate one going to a place (indicated after the first yena) that is located inside the place indicated by the second yena?

Iā€™m happy with whatever gets decided and will continue the course if possible. Whatever time suits John Kelly and the rest of the group is fine by me.

2 Likes

ā€˜bandhaā€™ would be the 2nd person sing. imperative of the verb bandhati. ā€˜You bindā€™ ā€˜you tie upā€™.

Do you have a paradigm of the imperative?
As was discussed earlier, if the present stem ends in -a the stem alone can be used.
See G&K III.5 (p. 36).

I donā€™t quite understand your second question, it seems a sequence of movement, first to a country then a particular village.

Thank you, @stephen . Now that you mentioned I found it on DPD also. Sometimes I get lost in the dictionary.

The second question is on how to understand the structure of that sentence.

te yena so janapado yenā€™ aƱƱataram gāmapadam tenā€™ upasamkamimsu.

What I usually do is get the meaning and declination of each word:

they(nom) where(instr.) that(nom.) location (nom.) where(instr.) a certain (acc.) village-road(acc.) there (instr.) they approached

My initial thought is that it meant:

they approached that location through a certain village road.

Jhon Kelly has it as:

They went to a certain village street in this district.

If it is a sequence of movements, as you said, would it be something like this?

they approached that location and arrived at a certain village road.

Also, just in general, Iā€™m finding it difficult to work with sentences with many words. Often, they seem like a puzzle that has many different possible ways of arranging. Also, many words are polysemic, often with many very different meanings. Do you have any advice?

1 Like

The ā€˜yenaā€™ has the sense of ā€˜towardsā€™ or ā€˜at which placeā€™ (where)
There are two pieces. -
-they towards (where) that country
-towards (where) a certain / particular village there they approached.

Mr. Kellyā€™s translation reverses the original Pali order but means the same.

The idea is that first they went to a country / region and then proceeded to a specific village and street.

Towards that region, towards that very street in the village they traveled.
(It sounds a bit Dickensian but thatā€™s how I understand it literally. )

1 Like

May I ask some questions regarding this sentence in the exercise section?

khÄ«į¹‡Ä me āsavā

Q1: Is āsavā nt nom pl of āsava?

Q2: Is khÄ«į¹‡Ä pp nt acc pl of khÄ«į¹‡a?

Q3: Is that sentence in passive sense?

Q4: Is me 1st instr sg of ahaį¹ and therefore translated as ā€œby meā€?

Q5: Are other scenarios valid such as below?

• my (me ā€“ 1st gen sg of ahaį¹)
  • from me (mayā/me ā€“ 1st abl sg of ahaį¹)
  • for me (me ā€“ 1st dat sg of ahaį¹)

In other words, besides a translation of ā€œThe defilements are exhausted by meā€, can other translations below also valid?

• My defilements are exhausted
  • The defilements are exhausted from me
  • The defilements are exhausted for me

I am asking because note #13 of Ven. Brahmali is telling that:

while I can only see instrumental case valid base on analysis from Q1 to Q3

Q6: What is ā€œNCRP I 3.3ā€ in note #10 of Ven. Brahmali?

Have fun in PNG, Iā€™d love to visit one day!

yes, but in addition note that declined forms in Pali never end with n. Itā€™s always į¹, and final n is a product of sandhi.

Ha ha, yes, I always use ā€œabsolutiveā€, itā€™s less confusing.

One trick, chop the end off and search for bandh. This gives you the root, under which you find all the derived forms listed. Crikey, DPD is really good!

Um, I think itā€™s normally masculine not nt., but DPD gives both.

Past participles, as adjectives, are not gendered, rather they agree with the noun. So this is nom plural.

Yes.

No, itā€™s genitive here, ā€œof meā€, i.e. ā€œmy defilements have endedā€.

Brahmali is technically correctā€”the best kind of correct!ā€”but the sense is definitely genitive. Elsewhere the more explicit form is used.

ā€œan4.36:5.5ā€: "Te mayhaį¹ āsavā khÄ«į¹‡Ä
ā€œpli-tv-bu-vb-pj4:8.12.2ā€: "Sopi evamāhaā€”ā€œmayhampi, āvuso, āsavā pahÄ«nāā€ti

To help distinguish these kinds of cases, bear in mind the ā€œprinciple of least meaningā€. If a mere enclitic particle of ambiguous interpretation is used, it is typically because the most obvious sense is the right one. Now, in such a case, it is clear they mean "my defilementsā€™, not someone elseā€™s, so interpreting me as genitive adds little or no meaning. On the other hand, saying that they are ended ā€œby meā€ adds an extra meaning, albeit slight. So unless there is reason to assume otherwise, prefer the reading that adds least meaning.

No idea! @Brahmali a little help please!

1 Like

Could I say that the statement that the info in this lesson is overwhelming is an understatement?

:grin: :grin: :laughing: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

It could be Gair & Karunatillakeā€™s New Course in Reading Pali. (G&K). Chapter 1, Section 3.3.
(Which is on p. 8 and concerns the quotation marker (i)ti. )

3 Likes

Combination of Warderā€™s lesson, Stuartā€™s notes, and Meilandā€™s explanation
Lesson 14 - Notes.pdf (459.7 KB)

1 Like

Not me, nearly 30 years after studying it, and still learning new things every day!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve spent a lot of time, trying to understand the Optative Case (= mood in English) as it feels similar to the subjunctive mood in English, and have found this: Optative Mood: Definition and Examples | StudySmarter

Dear Bhante @sujato, can this explanation be applied to the Pali Optative?

I am having some confusion with thisā€¦

So in DPD upādāya and ādāya are listed as gerunds - which it then defines as ā€œverbs ending in ā€œ-ingā€ describing ongoing actions.ā€

Disvā, however, is listed as an absolutive.

Are they just referring to the same thing using different terminology? I thought ādāya was an absolutive.
When we did the Pali classes with Bodhinyana we also learnt about ā€œgerundivesā€ which are future participles. So at the moment I have a gerund soup in my head.

I also have another question which came up when I was looking at the confession formulas that the monks/nuns use:
Passasi ayye? (when addressing a junior nun)
Do you see, Venerable lady?
Passatha ayye? (when addressing a senior nun)
Do youse see, Venerable lady?

Āyatiį¹ ayye saį¹vareyyāsi. (when addressing a junior nun)
In the future, Venerable lady, you should be restrained.
Āyatiį¹ ayye saį¹vareyyātha. (when addressing a senior nun)
In the future, Venerable lady, youse should be restrained.

Why is the plural considered more polite? I had it explained to me that it is less direct to say ā€œyouseā€ in the plural, so that is why it is used for senior monastics. Is that sense there in how the singular and plural are used in the suttas?
It also seems confusing since ayye is in the singular locative not the plural in both cases.

Sorry for asking a question that is not directly related to this weeks lesson (although the optative is used)!

ā€œpingā€ @sujato

1 Like

Not many questions today (this doesnā€™t imply that I understand everything well. Au contraireā€¦)

Question: puccheyyāmā€™ ahaį¹ƒ bhante kaƱ cid eva desaį¹ƒ

Ajahn Brahmali = May I ask, Venerable Sir, (about) some point?

Would it change the meaning if we place ā€˜puccheyyāmā€™ at the end of the sentence?

Question: devā tamhā kāyā cavanti

Ajahn Brahmali: The deities fall from that group.

Can this interpretation be ok? The deities passes away from that group (= they finish their heavenly kamma and are to be reborn in another realm).

Question: yan nÅ«na mayaį¹ƒ kusalaį¹ƒ kareyyāma

Ajahn Brahmali: What now if we were to do that which is good?

Could we ā€˜notā€™ use the past subjunctive tense of the verb to be, but use the verb to do in the present tense instead? ā€œWhat if we do what is good?ā€

Question: I got up from my seat and left.

Ajahn Brahmali: (Ahaį¹ƒ) uį¹­į¹­hāyā€™Äsanā pakkāmiį¹ƒ.

Can it be a simple sentence like this? ā€œ(Ahaį¹ƒ) āsanā uį¹­į¹­hahiį¹ƒ, pakkāmiį¹ƒā€

1 Like

This question is not about our answers to the questions, but about the sentences (questions) in the exercises themselves.

Itā€™s a question on the word order. (I understand that the word order in Pali is fluid, but still I would like to try to categorise some logical patterns to lessen the likelihood of me getting lostā€¦)

khÄ«į¹‡Ä me āsavā

Ajahn Brahmali: The outflowings (āsavā) have been exhausted by me.

Could we have another word order apart from khÄ«į¹‡Ä me āsavā?

Similar sentences:

puccheyyāmā€™ ahaį¹ƒ bhante kaƱ cid eva desaį¹ƒ
na dānā€™ ime imamhā ābādhā vuį¹­į¹­hahissanti

I believe Mamaį¹ƒ āsavā khÄ«į¹‡Ä would work, but would be less emphatic. (Also, the enclitic me seems to be generally preferred over the initial mama(į¹ƒ)?)

1 Like