Bhante Sujato Pali Course 2023: Warder lesson 7

OK, these are how my rudimentary note cards are progressing for noun inflections. Yes I use all the computer-based tools that people have offered. Still, I find myself studying every day with these humble note cards in front of me. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

There is something very powerful about writing out things by hand. I think it’s very helpful.
Less clicking more writing!

4 Likes

And even more study reveals that, in the second card, the (instr)(nt)(s) and the (instr)(nt)(pl) – the last line – should be, respectively:
yānena
yānehi

UGH!!! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

When students tell me they have trouble remembering case endings I tell them to write out a full declension 10x. Or 20x. Or 100x.

As John Cage said, more or less, if you find something boring after 10 times, do it for 20 times. Still boring, do it for 40 times. After a while it’s not boring at all.

4 Likes

Thank you, dear Stephen! Lest I lead anyone astray, here are my corrected & augmented note cards (may they be correct this time):

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Individual learning styles

Does “stems in consonants” (I’ve seen this phrase before) mean “stems that end in consonants”?

1 Like

yes that is what I determined. some of the most important nuggets of info are hidden in big paragraphs. in this book. that’s fine…i’m so happy Warder even wrote this book

2 Likes

Piyāyyaputto, perhaps “āsanaṃ paññapesi”? “paññatta” is pp rather than aor.

Gillian, when you have some downtime and you feel inspired, could you direct me to the location of the PED files such that I can integrate them into the Golden Dict app? I just need to know where they are. I haven’t found the online PED of much use (compared to DPD) despite Stephen’s admonitions to use it.

Sorry about what felt like an admonishment, really just what works for me personally.

I’ve noticed in Ven. Bodhi’s Pali class he is now using this version of the Dictionary (along with Cone). Perhaps it will work better for you than the U Chicago.

https://gandhari.org/dictionary?section=ptsd

1 Like

Just go to the DPD homepage. Search for the word “more” and you can find the link.

3 Likes

There are some dictionaries, but I don’t see the PED there.

It’s not in combined-dictionary-stardict.zip?

It seems to be for me:

2 Likes

The question was for PED, not PTS. Or is that the same?

Oh, I assumed that PTS referred to the Pali Text Society Pali English Dictionary. Is there something else it could be? It looks like the same entry: https://ped.readingfaithfully.org/?q=dukkha

3 Likes

The Pali Text Society has published 2 dictionaries
The older, one volume Pali English Dictionary, and the new, still incomplete 4 volume Dictionary of Pali.

2 Likes

Thank you both. I assumed from the wording of the question that there is a different dictionary called PED.

Do you know whether they are both included in what is called PTS in this “combined dictionary”?

Not in the Dukkha entry. Just compare them.

I doubt that the new dictionary is in the public domain. The PED is so old that people probably have gotten used to calling it PTS.

4 Likes

Thank you Ven. Snowbird, Ven. Sabbamitta and Stephen! This thread is very helpful for me. I will try to install that zip file so that it integrates with the dictionary app. If, as far as I can tell, that represents the one that Stephen refers to as his go-to PTS/Chicago U online dictionary?

1 Like