Bring the happiness that most people only dream about: tell us our mistakes

I believe SC is trying to standardize on USian spelling? In which case it should be “offense” right?

1 Like

Yes, that is one of the more subtle American/British English differences… It’s not so hard to keep track of color/colour etc, but there are these subtle differences like enroll/enrol, offense/offence, etc that I find difficult to keep track of…

2 Likes

This couplet in Iti19 doesn’t make sense to me…

A Saṅgha in harmony is happy,
as is support for those in harmony.

1 Like

“If a practitioner fails to achieve such balance, their undiscipllined mind leads to harming themselves and others.”

From Udana navigation page, the Chapter with Meghiya SuttaCentral.

DN2:77.2: So imameva kāyaṁ samādhijena pītisukhena abhisandeti parisandeti paripūreti parippharati, nāssa kiñci sabbāvato kāyassa samādhijena pītisukhena apphuṭaṁ hoti.
In the same way, a mendicant drenches, steeps, fills, and spreads their body with rapture and bliss born of immersion. There’s no part of the body that’s not spread with rapture and bliss born of immersion.

This is the statement before the simile. The phrase “in the same way” (evameva kho) comes only after the simile.

There are a couple almost-empty segments, pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.27 and 2.1.28:

roo:~/Development/bilara-data(unpublished)$ ag "pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.27"
html/pli/ms/vinaya/pli-tv-bi-vb/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4_html.json
62:  "pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.27": "<dt>{}</dt>",

root/pli/ms/vinaya/pli-tv-bi-vb/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4_root-pli-ms.json
62:  "pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.27": "",

reference/pli/ms/vinaya/pli-tv-bi-vb/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4_reference.json
21:  "pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.27": "ms2V_2287",
roo:~/Development/bilara-data(unpublished)$ ag "pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.28"
html/pli/ms/vinaya/pli-tv-bi-vb/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4_html.json
63:  "pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.28": "<dd>{}</dd></dl></section>",

root/pli/ms/vinaya/pli-tv-bi-vb/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss/pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4_root-pli-ms.json
63:  "pli-tv-bi-vb-ss4:2.1.28": "",

It came from this discussion, but I’m wondering if perhaps these two empty segments were added erroneously due to something else being funny in the data to begin with. Perhaps the ms2V_2287 reference was supposed to get stuck to a different segment?

edit: This empty root segment seems to have been added erroneously: pli-tv-bi-vb-pc18:2.3.1.2 (but the rest in that file added from 57c4bfaf0c1a seem fine)

DN3:1.2.5: ‘itipi so bhagavā arahaṁ sammāsambuddho vijjācaraṇasampanno sugato lokavidū anuttaro purisadammasārathi satthā devamanussānaṁ buddho bhagavā.’
‘That Blessed One is perfected, a fully awakened Buddha, accomplished in knowledge and conduct, holy, knower of the world, supreme guide for those who wish to train, teacher of gods and humans, awakened, blessed.’

I think the quote only ends at segment 1.2.8. The “reputation” includes more than just the recollection of the Buddha and goes until “it’s good to see such perfected ones”. So there should be single + double closing quote mark at segment 1.2.8.

Again, in segment 1.4.7, add a single closing quote. (You might perhaps include the beginning of the “reputation” and abbreviate a little less so that it is obvious what is closing here.)

Abhiññāta abhiññāta is sometimes translated “(very) well-known”, sometimes “(very) prominent”.

It’s a quotation mark party Ayya @sabbamitta :slight_smile: This is a list of double quotation marks not being closed or opened (except for one name inconsistency):

• AN4.265 missing end ” (however this is ended with … so probably OK?):
  • superfluous ending ” at DN32:7.90 or DN32:8.1 missing start “ (can’t tell if 8.1 is spoken by the Buddha or Great King Vessavaṇa):
  • MN22:2.1 introduces Ariṭtha but he is called Ariṭṭha for rest of the sutta:
  • MN95:6.6 opening quotation is double and whole quote should be put into single quotes ‘’ with ending double quote ”:
  • SN17.35:5.3 unnecessary end ” (end is in next segment)
  • SN22.82:9.2 missing start “ or superfluous ending ”:

Too spicy to fix probably as it’d imply changing the Pāli segmentation, just breaks convention. edit: (this may not be a convention, apologies - it’s the only times I saw it so far though):

:pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Yes indeed, the Pali loves quotation mark parties! I’ve seen up to fourfold nested quotes so far …

Checking just one, and the closing quote mark is actually there:

AN2.215-219:1.1: “Dvīhi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannāgato yathābhataṁ nikkhitto evaṁ sagge.
“Anyone who has two things is raised up to heaven.
AN2.215-219:1.2: Katamehi dvīhi?
What two?
AN2.215-219:1.3: Akkodhena ca anupanāhena ca … amakkhena ca apaḷāsena ca … anissāya ca amacchariyena ca … amāyāya ca asāṭheyyena ca … hiriyā ca ottappena ca.
Freedom from anger and hostility … freedom from disdain and contempt … freedom from jealousy and stinginess … freedom from deceit and deviousness … conscience and prudence.
AN2.215-219:1.4: Imehi kho, bhikkhave, dvīhi dhammehi samannāgato yathābhataṁ nikkhitto evaṁ sagge”.
Anyone who has these two things is raised up to heaven.”

Looks correct to me.

It’s frequent that quotes span across multiple segments. I can’t see any error in these two either.

2 Likes

mn95:1.3 has “Gods’ Grove” while the rest of the sutta has “God’s Grove”

2 Likes

In Devadutta Sutta

southern gate of the Great hell is opened

Everywhere else in the sutta it is written Great Hell, both words uppercase.

2 Likes

In SuttaCentral

The Questions of Upāli apear twice but the second time is empty.

1 Like

And another one:

https://suttacentral.net/san-sarv-sm

Does not show any parallels, but there is a full parallel with Bhikkhuni Parajika 5 (which does show up there).

1 Like

Another error (or not?) in the Dharmaguptaka Sekhiya rules:

In the Bhikkhuni rules:
https://suttacentral.net/lzh-dg-bi-vb-sk

You can find rules 97 and 98 as Na khaḍgapāṇa and Na saṁnaddhāya resp. with no root text but with a list of parallels to it.

In the Bhikkhu version of the rules:
https://suttacentral.net/lzh-dg-bu-vb-sk

The two rules 97 and 98 have a root text but no parallels listed. They also do not have a title in this list.

So this raises a few questions for me:

1. Why is there no title/subtitle as there is a root text (and translation). It seems to me that both these rules are about holding a different type of weapon.
  2. Most of the time the Sekhiya rules are the same for Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunis. So is that not the case here? It might well be the case that this is all correct but I just find it a bit puzzling. If they should be the same, then why are there no parallels connected to the entries in the Bhikkhu list.
1 Like

Dāruṁ namayanti tacchakā is usually translated “carpenters carve timber”, except for Thag 1.19, where they carve “wood”.

This is again the case in: DN 4, DN 6, DN 12, DN 23, AN 3.63, AN 3.65, AN 5.30, AN 6.42, AN 8.86, SN 55.7, and perhaps others that I haven’t translated yet.

DN4:5.22: samaṇo tveva gotamo arahati bhavantaṁ soṇadaṇḍaṁ dassanāya upasaṅkamitun”ti.
it’s appropriate that he comes to see you.

Add closing quote mark.

DN4:24.6: Adhivāsetu ca me bhavaṁ gotamo svātanāya bhattaṁ saddhiṁ bhikkhusaṅghenā”ti.
Would you and the Order of monks please accept a meal from me tomorrow?”

Unusually, bhikkhusaṅgha is here translated “order of monks”. Further down in the Sutta when they actually go to Soṇadaṇḍa for the meal, the Buddha goes together with the “mendicant Saṅgha”.

DN4:26.9: Ahañceva kho pana, bho gotama, yānagato samāno yānā paccorohitvā bhavantaṁ gotamaṁ abhivādeyyaṁ, tena maṁ sā parisā paribhaveyya.
And Master Gotama, if, when I am in a carriage, I rise from my seat and bow to the Buddha, that assembly might disparage me for that.

Should be “get down from my carriage”, not “rise from my seat”.

DN4:15.4: Imesañhi, bho gotama, catunnaṁ aṅgānaṁ mante ṭhapayāma.
We could leave the hymns out of the five factors.

Out of the four factors. And in segment 16:4 it’s three factors.

In DN 5 the place is sometimes called “Khāṇumata” and sometimes “Khāṇumataka”. Is this intentional?

DN5:2.2: “samaṇo khalu, bho, gotamo sakyaputto sakyakulā pabbajito magadhesu cārikaṁ caramāno mahatā bhikkhusaṅghena saddhiṁ pañcamattehi bhikkhusatehi khāṇumataṁ anuppatto khāṇumate viharati ambalaṭṭhikāyaṁ.
“It seems the ascetic Gotama—a Sakyan, gone forth from a Sakyan family—has arrived at Khāṇumataka and is staying in a forest nearby.

Should be “and is staying nearby at Ambalaṭṭhikā”. The “forest nearby” has probably been copied from Icchānaṅgala.

DN5:11.5: “ahametaṁ dassukhīlaṁ vadhena vā bandhena vā jāniyā vā garahāya vā pabbājanāya vā samūhanissāmī”ti, na kho panetassa dassukhīlassa evaṁ sammā samugghāto hoti.
“I’ll eradicate this outlaw threat by execution or imprisonment or confiscation or condemnation or banishment!” But that’s not the right way to eradicate this brigand menace.

Dassukhīla is translated once as “outlaw threat” and once as “brigand menace” in the same segment.

SN2.30:3.1: Atha kho sahali devaputto makkhaliṁ gosālaṁ ārabbha bhagavato santike imaṁ gāthaṁ abhāsi:
SN2.30:3.1: Then the god Sahalī recited this verse about the bamboo-staffed ascetic Gosala in the Buddha’s presence:

The name of the ascetic is here spelled “Gosala”, elsewhere “Gosāla”.

https://suttacentral.net/define/uppalavaṇṇā

Sutta references in samyutta Nikaya off by 1 - should be SN 5.5 not 5.4 and also SN 17.24 not SN 17.23

Unfortunately this is the down side of the PTS citation system. They are not exact to the sutta but to the page in their Pali edition. This kind of thing will be found throughout the complex dictionaries on SC because they are based on that system. Previously they weren’t linked at all.

2 Likes

“The world would become promiscuous” has generally been changed to “the world would become dissolute”, but not in Iti 42.

The word ajeḷakā is mostly translated “goats and sheep”, but in DN 5 it’s only “goats”.

AN3.66:47.5: So diṭṭheva dhamme nicchāto nibbuto sītibhūto sukhappaṭisaṁvedī brahmabhūtena attanā viharatī”ti.
So they live without wishes in the present life, extinguished, cooled, experiencing bliss, with self become divine.”

I am not sure how to understand this: has their self become divine? Does this not sound like Yājñavalkya rather than the Buddha …? :thinking:

“Arrived at inevitability regarding the right path” has been changed to “arrived at surety in the right way”, but both in SN 25.1 and SN 25.10 there’s still one instance of the old version left.

DN30:1.12.9: Brahmāva suju subho sujātagatto.
and he’s straight, beautiful, and well-formed like Brahmā.

A note in DN 14, as well as an essay on this forum, says that the Buddha is not “straight like Brahma”, but “tall and straight”. But this segment is translated otherwise.

DN30:1.2.24: rasaggasaggī hoti …
He has an excellent sense of taste.

Should be “ridged taste buds”. Also in 1.2.35, there’s still the old wording.

1 Like