Bring the happiness that most people only dream about: tell us our mistakes

Ok, here goes, another round of corrections, with thanks to all those who have contributed. One happy day I will check such a thread and be able to note that all the suggested corrections were in fact already correct! But that day is not this day!

thx, fixed.

Fixed

It should really be “scattered” throughout, like bones are “scattered”.

Saṇṭhita is “stuck”, saṅkhitta is "constricted. I think all these cases have saṅkhitta.

One lifetime I will learn how tenses work. I think “This is the first knowledge they achieved” should work?

Use “rightful” for orasa, “true-born” for atraja.

That’s literally what is says. The Sanskrit is Bhāvitātman:

One whose soul is purified by meditation on the universal soul

It’s a common term in later Brahmanical texts, but I haven’t been able to identify it in any texts contemporary with the Buddha.

Elsewhere I have used “evolved”, use that here too.

Right, thanks!

do that!

Note I am now using “clear-eyed one” for cakkumanta and “seer” for isi.

The remainder of Iti corrections have been made!

Thanks, Venerable, I have fixed it.

For future reference, the easiest way for me to find it is to just quote the pali or the translation directly, then I can search it easily.

Right, thanks.

Right!

Indeed. Also, use Progenitor for Pajapati, and Creator for nimmāta instead of Author. This keeps the connection with paranimmita and other contexts. Progenitor also is a weird and strange word, which suits Pajapati, the strange and lonely god.

Ha ha, I just call it “a day”.

Umm, it does for me? In any case, we won’t change this until/unless we replace the component. (Too complicated to dig around the innards).

Hmm, yes. In retrospect, “bitterness” is not quite right for domanassa, as it conflicts with the same rendering of appaccaya. Use “displeasure” instead.

right, thanks.

Indeed

Actually the other way around, virājetvā is literally “having become dispassionate”, i.e. “losing attachment”. I have corrected 1.11.6

Thanks!

The former translation is from Walshe, and it sounds nice, but it is a delicate philosophical point. The sense of parinata when taken with the instrumental santataya is “transform”, not “spring into being”.

Because formerly I didn’t exist. Now, having not existed, I’ve transformed into the state of existence.

thx

No, “there” refers back to the previous passage.

Thanks

proceeding in that duty

thanks

Thanks

thanks

I think it’s okay as-is. The Pali just has samaya “occasions”. In the text it is clear from context that it means “proper occasions”, but that doesn’t come across if the title is just “Occasions”.

Hah, I’ve just been teaching this sutta and I still didn’t notice this!

Better:

he is the manifestation of principle, he is the manifestation of divinity

Compare dn27:9.6:

For these are terms for the Realized One: ‘the embodiment of principle’, and ‘the embodiment of divinity’, and ‘the manifestation of principle’, and ‘the manifestation of divinity’.

Wherever possible, I am now using “divinity” for Brahma and derivatives.

I had thought I had done that, but I had not.

Peasant is more general, basically any working class person, including farmers, but typically people living on the land rather than the more transient suddas (menials).

fixed

That’s right, porisa is basically the English idiom “man” as in “have your man send it up to the study”.

I’m not sure, in any case it seems to be okay now.

I’ll get to the rest soon.

4 Likes