Bring the happiness that most people only dream about: tell us our mistakes

These verses occur a few times, so check the question as well:

When a mendicant slips five chains
they’re said to have crossed the flood.

And use the idiom “slips chains” for sangatigo throughout. (Bodhi has “surmount ties”, but “surmount” is not something you do when you are tied up!)

Good idea:

If you’re not tamed, trained, and extinguished yourself, it is quite impossible for you to help tame, train, and extinguish someone else. But if you are tamed, trained, and extinguished yourself, it is quite possible for you to help tame, train, and extinguish someone else.

in a good family

? I can’t find any offence

I think in our part of the world we’re equally exposed to Brit/Oz and US spellings, resulting in a terrible confusion. I just let my spellchecker tell me what to do.

Umm, it seems fine to me.

Ha ha, someone’s mind was undisciplined that day!

Right, gosh.

Actually no. When following the “reputation” trope, this passage usually ends with bhagavā’ti, but sometimes the close -ti is missing. The MS is inconsistent in its punctuation, but I think in dn3 it gets it right. @Brahmali maybe you want to adjust your translation here?

right, thanks. this is great spottage, how are you doing it???

It’s spoken by Vessavana, he addresses the Buddha with “marisa”. His lines continue till 11.2.

Yeah, ṭt doesn’t occur in Pali, it’s a typo.

Yes, it’s a bit unusual, we probably could split the segments, but it’s okay as stands.

Oh, very nice! The text is ambiguous as to number, but the commentary says “a place where offerings were made to the gods”, so plural it is.

But Gods’ Grove sounds fussy to me, in English we often drop the apostrophe in place names. Use “Godswood”, which duckduckgo tells me is in Game of Thrones. :person_shrugging:

Thanks

fixed, thanks

oops, fixed.

Right. This whole passage is hilarious, he was so precious about what people thought!

Right, yes.

No, it’s just carelessness, khāṇumatakā means “of khāṇumata”.

right!

Use “outlaw threat”. But brigand is such a good word, I shall have to try to use it somewhere else!

Gosāla (= “cowshed”)

As we all know, the two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors.

fixed

(Interesting case for translation. The Pali is sambheda “mixed up”, which technically fits “promiscuous”. But in English that is usually used in the sense of “having many serial sexual partners”, which is not really what is meant here.)

fixed

Indeed it does, it’s a phrase literally used in the Brahmanical texts countless times (brahmabhūtātmā).

Linguistically it challenges a long-held axiom of Buddhist studies, that the neuter brahman of the Upanishads in the sense of the cosmic divinity is not found in Buddhism, only the personal masculine Brahmā. Here the dompound is gramatically ambiguous, it could be either. But when the phrase is encountered in Brahmanical texts, no-one would take it as anything but the neuter cosmic brahman.

If the Buddha wanted to sound like an Upanishad, who are we to gainsay him?

thanks.

It’s a different word, here Brahmāva must be brahmā iva, “like Brahmā”. It’s either a pun or a result of a confused etymology.

thanks

Ha, I didn’t notice, as an old rugby player this sounds perfectly natural.

No, you’re right. Also use “shall”, it’s stronger.

Use “pursue”

Use “proceed”. Also it was a mistake to use “like” here, there is no “like” in the Pali, they have given it up.

Great, I think that’s all so far as the things I can correct in Bilara. Others things (blurbs, segment fixes, missing texts) I will proceed to address now.

2 Likes