Buddha đŸ± Beings

I just saw my favorite local cat with a bird it caught. He took it into some bushes, where I assumed he was eating it, but a short time later the bird flew away. I guess it had been playing dead.

1 Like

Phew, happy for that birdy (and that cat’s kamma :wink: ). I also guess the cat was well fed and generally satisfied. Cats are just like humans (and other animals) if their needs are fulfilled, they are less likely to harm another being!

1 Like

I have some raised beds where I have a vegetable garden. I don’t mind sharing with critters, but they seem to have no compunction to take all for themselves. :grinning: I won’t kill the “intruders”, but I don’t have a problem with creating a boundary that they can’t cross so that they have to get sustenance elsewhere.

I solved the gopher issue by a wire mesh at the base of the beds so they can’t get in via the bottom and pull entire plants down. I once watched an entire eggplant bush with mature eggplants on it slowly get tugged underground! I’m sure that was a feast!

A month ago I planted nine basil plants and they were doing great. But at night insects would come and eventually the plants were decimated. I got some copper mesh and laid it around the plants and the insects won’t crawl over it. The only harm to the insects is that they don’t get to eat the basil. I guess I’m giving them a chance to investigate their craving for basil!

Here’s the mesh in case anyone else here is interested:

4 Likes

Sadly my “constant” meditation companion has just proved that all compounded things are inconstant and has run off to another round of samsara (may he have a favourable birth).

15 Likes

Metta, karuna, mudita and upekkha to you! I just had to say goodbye my 14 year family member Zenqi. I encouraged him these last months to be born in the human realm and find the dhamma. I’m so grateful for what he brought to our lives and what I learned and benefitted from him. May you have gratitude and not loss!

18 Likes

One of the Wat Buddha Dhamma goannas (aka monitor lizard). It likes resting on the light tree trunk to warm up in the sunlight, but it sensed me following and made for cover.

12 Likes

I love it when they do this.

:grin:

14 Likes

Reflecting on use and misuse of animals, I was amazed to learn online how many cosmetic/personal care products companies there are that still test on animals.
Even seemingly small daily choices matter.

May all beings be really well and happy.

9 Likes

Also, the line between the Buddha Beings in this thread and the (literally) billions of sentient beings killed each year for the sake of our taste buds, is totally arbitrary.

To those who truly love animals, please consider withdrawing your financial support from the institutions that profit from the abuse and murder of animals :pray:

3 Likes

Posted pictures of him before, but this is just too cute to not post.

11 Likes

This is how they trap you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

8 Likes

24 Likes

Is this magnificent cougar taking a drink at your monastery Venerable @Niyyanika :star_struck: ?

5 Likes

Yes. This auspicious visitor came just after the BhikkhunÄ« Saáč…gha had completed our leave taking ceremony in the shrine room on July 4th. More pictures are on Facebook here: Aloka Vihara & Aloka Earth Room | We had a thirsty visitor tonight on the Fourth of July - just as we came to the end of a closing ceremony for Ayya Dhammadipa, who leaves tomorrow, Ay... | Facebook. You can then see the three juvenile cougars she was with and the power of her walking.

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I very much enjoyed seeing the deer drinking from the same bird bath! A safe place for all Buddha Beings indeed :heart: :leopard: :llama: :parrot: Hope I can visit some day too :pray:t4:

8 Likes

20 Likes

What a wonderful refuge for wildlife!

6 Likes

“Heh, heh, heh. I like to hang out at Metaphor’s house.”

13 Likes

And it’s a 
?

Raccoon! (I’m in Canada after all :rofl:)

3 Likes