Buddhadasa vs Hillside interpretation

My impression from that sutta is that when the Puthujjana reflects on the exact same line of thought as an Ariyan he chooses to ignore the topic and the dispassionate outcome whereas the Ariyan sees the dispassionate outcome as a reason for contemplation to happen.

E.g. “If I think about this, I won’t get work done”, both groups have this reasoning, the difference is the Ariyan sees that as a good thing so he does contemplate the subject, and the Puthujjana sees that as a bad thing so he ignores the subject, because the Puthujjana wants to get more of pleasure and get rid of discomfort/pain whereas the Ariyan will take on more discomfort if it means more dispassion.

That’s how I interpret that passage: same thoughts, different motivations. I guess the Ariyan’s motivation is rooted in seeing the whole mass of suffering caused by craving and thus desires dispassion, whereas the Puthujjana is ignorant of the four noble truths and doesn’t see anything wrong with craving and passion.

1 Like

Unlikely. MN 61 says:

So you should train like this: ‘I will not tell a lie, even for a joke.’

MN 26 says:

This teaching is not easily understood

:surfing_man:

These ideas sound like American McMindfulness, where there is the self-suggested hallucination that insight (vipassana) is occurring while simultaneously drowning in defilements. AN 4.49 says:

They have seen what is non-self
as non-self and the unattractive as unattractive.
By the acquisition of right view,
they have overcome all suffering. ”

AN 4.49 does not say:

They have seen what is self as non-self
and the attractive as unattractive.

In other words, the ‘self’ & the ‘not-self’ are not discerned simultaneously.

Mindfulness remembers & brings to mind learned past knowledge. Mindfulness does not directly “see” the unrevealed/unseen truth.

I think the onus falls upon the supporters of Hillside to substantiate their ideas about the role of mindfulness via sutta quotes.

The above is a strange idea. Is there a sutta to support this idea?

It seems the notion of STREAM-ENTRY means the mind INCLINES towards Nibbana therefore there is no “resistance” requiring becoming “accustomed”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Personally, the above attempted connection between the unwholesome & the wholesome seems tenuous. To reiterate, from my reading of Hillside, the impression is:

1. There is mind that discerns
  2. There are objects discerned.

Hillside said:

Mindfulness done correctly is when the mind is anchored in something. That something must be a thing that is not directly attended to, but instead, has to be a reference point to the attended thing (hence we call it “anchor”). If a thing is not directly attended to but there, we call that thing to be a “background”. It’s a background to a thing we attend (which makes that thing a “foreground”). This is the basic principle of mindfulness, on which we can expand here below.

Now, the above is papanca to me. However, this attempted principle is explained by the suttas with the following example from AN 9.36:

There is the case where a monk, secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. He regards whatever phenomena there that are connected with form, feeling, perception, fabrications, & consciousness, as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a disintegration, an emptiness, not-self. He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: ‘This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.’

AN 9.36

If the above is not understood, SN 48.9 says:

A noble disciple, relying on letting go, gains immersion, gains unification of mind.

SN 48.9

If the above is not understood, returning to topic, Bhikkhu Buddhadasa said:

As for samadhi, an empty mind is the supreme samadhi, the supremely focused firmness of mind. The straining and striving sort of samadhi isn’t the real thing and the samadhi which aims at anything other than non-clinging to the five khandas is micchasamadhi (wrong or perverted samadhi). You should be aware that there is both micchasamadhi and sammasamadhi (right or correct samadhi). Only the mind that is empty of grasping at and clinging to ‘I’ and ‘mine’ can have the true and perfect stability of sammasamadhi. One who has an empty mind has correct samadhi.

Bhikkhu Buddhadasa - Heart-Wood from the Bodhi Tree

While the papanca of Hillside is difficult to follow, my impression is, per the topic, the interpretation of Hillside is the opposite of Buddhadasa and the opposite of the suttas.

Buddhadasa & the suttas say:

• The primary meditation object is non-attachment.
  • The secondary meditation object is body, factors of jhana, etc.

To repeat, Hillside said:

Mindfulness done correctly is when the mind is anchored in something.

Buddhadasa reply: Yes, the mind is anchored in non-attachment, per AN 9.36 & SN 48.9.

That something must be a thing that is not directly attended to

Buddhadasa disagrees. Buddhadasa says: “That something/non-attachment must be a thing that is directly attended to”, per SN 47.20, for example.

but instead, has to be a reference point to the attended thing (hence we call it “anchor”).

The above idea of a “reference point” seems unrelated to what must be directly attended to. The impression is Hillside here have been influenced by the idiosyncratic idea of “Frames of Reference” concocted by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

If a thing is not directly attended to but there, we call that thing to be a “background”.

As previously said, the above is difficult for me to follow. But according to both Buddhadasa and the Suttas, non-attachment is the “primary object” and body, feelings, citta & realities are the “background”.

It’s a background to a thing we attend (which makes that thing a “foreground”).

The thing we attend to, according to Buddhadasa and the Suttas, is non-attachment, as stated in MN 10, SN 48.9 and AN 9.36.

The thing Hillside is saying we attend to remains unclear to me.

This is the basic principle of mindfulness, on which we can expand here below.

Buddhadasa said the basic principle of mindfulness is to bring wisdom to a specific situation; this specific wisdom for the situation being “sampajanna”. This sati-sampajjana, per the Suttas (MN 117), is a “support” for the development of samadhi & the direct seeing of Right Knowledge. The role of mindfulness is not to convince/brainwash the mind things are not-self. The perception of not-self is a direct perception. :buddha: Thus MN 149 says:

When the noble eightfold path is developed… these two qualities proceed in conjunction: serenity and discernment (samatho ca vipassanā ca)

MN 149

MN 117 says:

Right effort gives rise to right mindfulness. Right mindfulness gives rise to right immersion. Right immersion gives rise to right knowledge. Right knowledge gives rise to right freedom.

MN 117 does not say:

Right effort gives rise to right mindfulness. Right mindfulness gives rise to right knowledge.

AN 11.2 says:

It’s only natural to truly know and see when your mind is immersed in samādhi.

AN 11.2 does not say:

It’s only natural to truly know and see when your mind is immersed in mindfulness.

AN 10.61 says:

In the same way, when the factor of associating with good people :innocent: :star_struck: is fulfilled, it fulfills the factor of listening to the true teaching. When the factor of listening to the true teaching is fulfilled, it fulfills the factor of faith … proper attention … mindfulness and situational awareness … sense restraint …the three kinds of good conduct … the four kinds of mindfulness meditation … the seven awakening factors. When the seven awakening factors are fulfilled, they fulfill knowledge and freedom.

AN 10.61 does not say what Hillside seems to be saying, namely:

In the same way, when the factor of associating with dog-patting :dog2: :poodle: people is fulfilled, it fulfills the factor of listening to the idiosyncratic Satre Nietzsche :nerd_face: teaching. When the factor of listening to the idiosyncratic teaching is fulfilled, it fulfills the factor of faith … mindfulness and situational awareness … sense restraint …the three kinds of good conduct … the four kinds of mindfulness meditation … proper attention (yoniso manasikara)… the seven awakening factors. When the seven awakening factors are fulfilled, they fulfill knowledge and freedom.

As I previously, my impression is yoniso manasikara is merely a preliminary practice in the Suttas, in AN 10.61 and why SN 45.50–55 calls it “the dawn” that is the “forerunner” of the Eightfold Path. :buddha:

I am replying to what has been posted on this topic.

The Suttas quotes are not shooting in the dark. Not only have the Suttas refuted Hillside but the difference between Hillside & Buddhadasa seem to have been clearly established.

I think this topic was summed up by the quotes below:

I think this topic here How to understand SN 48.42? is related to this topic about Hillside. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m a huge fan of both as well and their phenomena-logical existential approach to Dhamma can you recommend any other teachers are similar?

1 Like

The only other monk who is similar to Buddhadasa and Hillside that I can think of is Ven. Punnaji, imho this is his best video of all his videos, the audio quality isn’t great but the dhamma content is superb Bhante Punnaji - A gradual process of awakening - anupubba patipada - YouTube

I actually downloaded that video and saved it to my Google drive in case it ever goes down, I recommend doing the same.

1 Like

Ok cool checking it out now

I fail to understand how people can be dismissive of Hillside and NN teachings. When you take the time to really get it instead of coming with a bias thinking it has to be wrong we can see how it perfectly fits with the sutta teachings. Yes it takes some time to get accustomed to it but once you implement it everything falls into place. I feel anyone would benefit from giving some time with an inquisitive mind.

1 Like

Not just that. What Ajahn Nyanamoli has been talking about for the better part of a decade is not “based” off the work of Ven. Nanavira. Anyone who’s been listening would know what the relationship actually is between the former and the latter.

1 Like

Popular? These writings/talks aren’t popular. The entire orthodoxy is behind you, so there’s no use playing the Prometheus card. What’s popular is hastily nitpicking works that haven’t been thoroughly understood, and then congratulating yourself about it.

The reason I highlighted that first comment is because Ajahn Nyanamoli’s talks and writings are strikingly different from Ven. Nanavira and it is misleading to say they are “based” off of them. Do you have any idea why? What is thoroughly emphasized in the Hillside YouTube talks that Ven. Nanavira opted to mostly exclude from his Notes? It was not absent in his letters, but it is far less emphasized in the Notes. If you can answer that in a single sentence I’ll address your post above. If you can’t…you’ve shown your cards.

Ignore my posts? Never talk to me again? What are you 17 years old? My goodness, dude…

if you want to see how “creative” NV is in his interprerations then just look at how he explains the questions of king milinda.

He says that to make sense of the dialog one must assert what is not in the text, namely that the Nagasena must have been pointing at certain things as he was speaking to make a certain point which can only be made if one asserts that there is some pointing going on. So i day that he did not understand the text and to him it made sense only in a certain context which is not evident from the text itself.

He also disagrees with the conjoinment of kamma, sankhara and cetana.

Intention[cetana], I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect. [AN 6.63]

"And what are fabrications [sankharā]? These six classes of intention — intention with regard to form, intention with regard to sound, intention with regard to smell, intention with regard to taste, intention with regard to tactile sensation, intention with regard to ideas: these are called fabrications. Sattatthana Sutta: Seven Bases

As i see it, he argues unsuccessfully against it.

Now the traditional interpretation says that sankhārā in the paticcasamuppāda context are kamma, being cetanā. Are we therefore obliged to understand in-&-out-breaths, thinking-&-pondering, and perception and feeling, respectively, as bodily, verbal, and mental kamma (or cetanā)? Is my present existence the result of my breathing in the preceding existence? Is thinking-&-pondering verbal action? Must we regard perception and feeling as intention, when the Suttas distinguish between them (Phuttho bhikkhave vedeti, phuttho ceteti, phuttho sañjānāti… (‘Contacted, monks, one feels; contacted, one intends; contacted, one perceives;…’) [Salāyatana Samy. ix,10 <S.iv,68>])? Certainly, sankhārā may, upon occasion, be cetanā (e.g. Khandha Samy. vi,4 <S.iii,60>[3]); but this is by no means always so. The Cūlavedallasutta tells us clearly in what sense in-&-out-breaths, thinking-&-pondering, and perception and feeling, are sankhārā (i.e. in that body, speech, and mind [citta], are intimately connected with them, and do not occur without them); and it would do violence to the Sutta to interpret sankhārā here as cetanā. -Notes on Dhamma , A note on Paticcasamuppada

It is always so. For it is not possible to separate kamma, cetana and sankhara. For what one does, that one intends, intention is an act, and what is intended is also willed & fabricated, both formerly & now.

Now are the in & out breaths intended? If yes then they are inacted and in that also fabricated.

Why are you talking about Nanavira when the post is about Hillside ??

1 Like

Are they not in alignment as to their interpretation of this?

Those pictures are funny
‘The sutta do not provide a consistent network of definitions’ :rofl:

Not necessarily no.
Indeed suttas do not all the time provide a consistent network of definition. That’s in part why the abhidhamma was born and that’s why you have a lot of different abhidhamma and commentaries on those that more often than not don’t agree with each other. That’s why the study of definitions and together with commentaries was an essential part of the buddhist curriculum in India, and still is in tibetan monasteries. And that’s why you sometimes find people who build a belief system or support meditation techniques on dubious interpretations of one word or one sutta without taking into account the rest of the literature. The second message from Bhikkhu Anigha gives you a much better answer than mine on this fact as english is not my native language.

Who told you this?

How many arahants did this produce? You don’t know. Nobody knows. Is there even one? You couldn’t state this as a fact.

So what good is this appeal to authority & tradition?

in the course of the future there will be monks who won’t listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. They won’t lend ear, won’t set their hearts on knowing them, won’t regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited. They will lend ear and set their hearts on knowing them. They will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering. Ani Sutta: The Peg

These teachings however produced at least 1250 arahants and so i cross reference everything with the sutta and if it’s not there and is not inferrable then it is dismissed as counterfeit dhamma.

When beings are degenerating and the true Dhamma is disappearing, there are more training rules and yet fewer monks established in final gnosis. There is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world. Just as there is no disappearance of gold as long as a counterfeit of gold has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of gold when a counterfeit of gold has arisen in the world, in the same way there is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world. Saddhammapatirupaka Sutta: A Counterfeit of the True Dhamma

We are very late to the party, living in times of counterfeit dhamma, when the rules are many and attainments are few. Have to be special to want to learn the commentary and the works of disciples like Nanavira & Nanamoli.

20 years of work as a translator and study of buddhism. But I shouldn’t even have to mention that as any serious study of buddhism would naturally bring this knowledge.
As the second part of your answer is off topic I don’t know if any answer will be good to you. This appeal is not to authority or tradition but to history and religious studies as I was trying to explain that the problem of “network of definitions” is not something trivial or imaginary like your emoji seemed to imply. I hope this discussion can continue, if it has to, on good faith otherwise it will be a waste of both our time.

1 Like

Being passionate is a very good thing on the path of buddhism and I respect that but you way of arguing is clearly antagonistic and that’s why some of your posts are now flagged. I wish you luck and joy in all your future endeavours. I won’t answer anymore as this conversation is over for me but just keep in the corner of your mind the existence of HH, you might find at some point that their understanding of suttas is as close as it gets to EBT as they don’t need to contort or bend anything to make it fit with ones bias. Best.

2 Likes

To dismiss such teaching is perhaps too strong phrase, but there are considerable doubts how much of the teaching of HH is in agreement with Suttas.

Here from another forum, quite eloquent user says in the topic about so called right endurance:

Just to emphasise: there’s a group of practitioners out there, even monks, who hold the view that the Buddha’s advice to destroy unskilful thoughts immediately is wrong practice. “Puthujjana” practice.

They say you have to"endure" arisen unskilful qualities. The Buddha however says quite literally that they are not to be endured “nādhivāseti” but to be eliminated - byantikaroti - as quickly as possible. Understanding how to stop them is part of his instruction - for him, learning to suppress, fight them and make them end is part and parcel of understanding them.

A fighter who doesn’t know how to floor his opponent lacks the facet of understanding most crucial to his success.

Just to be clear, I’m seeing answering on this thread as an exercise to deepen my understanding of HH pov and to help me see if there are indeed any loopholes since I haven’t seen any till now.
The enduring thing is a recurrent point being raised and I’d rather cite them directly instead of trying to rehash what’s has been said before by them, so below is some of their answers :slight_smile:
Question :

Blockquote

In the past I have heard Thai Forest monks and others say that part of right effort is to recognize an unwholesome thought and to get rid of it, to replace it with something else that is wholesome. Like a carpenter would drive a rough peg out of a chair with a more refined peg, or something like that.

My understanding of part of Ajahn Nyanamoli’s teachings is that - when there is a craving, instead of giving in, or replacing the craving with something else, or distracting myself from the craving with something else, I should allow the craving to be there, to endure it."

Answer from Bhikkhu Anigha :
" > My understanding of part of Ajahn Nyanamoli’s teachings is that - when there is a craving, instead of giving in, or replacing the craving with something else, or distracting myself from the craving with something else, I should allow the craving to be there, to endure it.

You could phrase it that way depending on the context, but it’s also important to recognize that you’re not literally being told to allow unwholesome states to continue unchecked, as that would be taking it too far. Rather, the point is that whatever is taking place when you endure the pressure of a mental state correctly (which is what a puthujjana needs to learn to stop being a puthujjana) cannot be called craving anymore, regardless of that fact that it won’t “feel right” to you initially. Because of that, it’s better to say that you’re supposed to endure the mental pressure, not “craving”.

Craving is basically the deeply-rooted tendency of wanting to respond to pressure, whether positively or negatively. The (practicing) puthujjana’s misconception is precisely in confusing pressure with unwholesomeness and trying to get rid of it, or also confusing acting out of pressure with wholesomeness in some cases. The attempt to endure the pressure instead will not be perfect initially, but it will not entail as course of a mistake as these two extremes.

Like a carpenter would drive a rough peg out of a chair with a more refined peg, or something like that.

People don’t even contemplate the simile carefully, and it actually reinforces our point. This is the first simile in MN 20. When you have a certain, say, sensual thought that is pressuring you, replacing it with something else is exactly like using a peg that is just as coarse, meaning you end up with just a different form of the same problem (you removed the sensuality which is welcoming the pressure, but are now left with aversion towards the pressure, and the “amount” of craving did not even diminish, it just “morphed”). The “finer peg” would be establishing a peripheral context that does not deny what has arisen, but also prevents you from welcoming what has arisen, and that can only be achieved through that endurance of the pressure. That context could even be the second reflection that is explained in that very sutta (and in MN 19 as well).

Each subsequent “strategy” in MN 20 is actually happening within the first, so even in the last one, where you’re supposed to clench your teeth and “crush mind with mind”, you won’t be doing that rightly and it won’t result in abandoning of unwholesome as it says it should if that “crushing mind with mind” is being done as a form of replacing what is arisen with something just as coarse. That’s why it says it’s like a stronger man would beat down a weaker man *from above (*from his head or shoulders). The stronger man doesn’t get into a fistfight face-to-face with the weaker man, which is what people usually do. Not only with this strategy but with all of them, including the first.

Am I understanding that part of AN’s teaching correctly? If so, can you please point out how this isn’t a contradiction with right effort, or where I’m missing something. Thanks very much,"

Blockquote

Now me again :
Their point is limpid imho, not enduring necessarily entails falling in aversion or craving again and feeding the loop again and again.

1 Like

Now, I would like to know precisely what does it mean “pressure” and how fundamental it is in experience and most important thing where the Lord Buddha uses such concept. As I understand Dhamma all experience is telelogical, it based on pain/ pleasure principle, any reliable psychological textbook which deals with motivation recognises it. But instead of quoting learned textbooks, let me get straight into the heart of matter:

And so I came to understand that all our actions, from the most deliberate to the most thoughtless, and without exception, are determined by present pleasure and present pain. Even what we pompously call our ‘duty’ is included in this law—if we do our duty, that is only because we should feel uncomfortable if we neglected it, and we seek to avoid discomfort. Even the wise man, who renounces a present pleasure for the sake of a greater pleasure in the future, obeys this law—he enjoys the present pleasure of knowing (or believing) that he is providing for his future pleasure, whereas the foolish man, preferring the present pleasure to his future pleasure, is perpetually gnawed with apprehension about his future. And when I had understood this, the Buddha’s statement, (M. 22: i,140)

Both now and formerly, monks, it is just suffering that I make known and the ceasing of suffering,
came to seem (when eventually I heard it) the most obvious thing in the world—‘What else’ I exclaimed ‘could the Buddha possibly teach?’

Nanavira Thera L 114

Pain/pleasure principle is so fundamental that arahat experience in no way is exeptioned from it. Contrary, it is due to this principle experience continues, despite the absence of the concept “I am”.

Again Nanavira to sister Vajjira:

You say that, as far as you see it, the arahat’s experience functions automatically. By this I presume that you mean it functions without any self or agent or master to direct it. But I do not say otherwise. All that I would add is that this automatically functioning experience has a complex teleological structure.

The puthujjana’s experience, however, is still more complex, since there is also avijjà, and there is thus appropriation as well as teleology.

But this, too, functions automatically, without any self or agent to direct it. On account of the appropriation, however, it appears to be directed by a self, agent, or master. Avijjà functions automatically, but conceals this fact from itself. Avijjà is an automatically functioning blindness to its automatic functioning. Removal of the blindness removes the appropriation but not the teleology.

Her answer:

In that way, the subject is removed from experience, and pañcakkhandha can function apart from upādāna. Thus the question is settled. I have lost dimension of thought, at least to the degree to grasp this matter, i.e, my own upādāna.

Now, we cannot escape pain/ pleasure principle, and of course Lord Buddha doesn’t ask us to do so. What he asks us to do is to redefine our ideas about pain and pleasure, so they will be in agreement with Dhamma standard of what is suffering and what is pleasurable. In shortes possible way, here we have such standard:

**Pleasurable is dispassion in the world, **
The getting beyond sensuality.
**But the putting away of the conceit ‘I am’ **
—this is the highest pleasure.

Udāna 11

Concept of noble endurance creates problems where there weren’t any before. One who starts practice celibacy has to teach his mind that absence of sensual thoughts is actually pleasant. The more clearly mind sees dispassion as pleasant, the less it will be attracted towards unwholesome states.

Most people have much less sophisticated problem with celibacy, again Nanavira:

There is a mistaken idea, common [and convenient] enough, that our inclinations are in the nature of impulsions to which we can only submit, rather as a stone passively suffers the pressure that moves it. But, far from being an imposition that must be passively suffered, an inclination is an active seeking of a still only possible state of affairs.

J.-P. Sartre, L’Être et le Néant, Gallimard, Paris 1943, p. 556:

‘Besides, if the act is not pure movement, it must be defined by an intention.
In whatever way we may consider this intention, it can only be a passing beyond the given towards a result to be obtained. …When the psychologists, for example, turn tendency into a state of fact, they fail to see that they are taking away from it all character of appetite .’

Intentions and inclinations towards sensuality are due to not seeing sensual desire as actually painful and harmful, and mind has to be taught about the true nature of them:

“> Bhikkhus, whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. If he frequently thinks and ponders upon thoughts of sensual desire, he has abandoned the thought of renunciation to cultivate the thought of sensual desire, and then his mind inclines to thoughts of sensual desire. If he frequently thinks and ponders thoughts of sensual desire. If he frequently thinks and ponders upon thoughts of ill will…upon thoughts of cruelty, he has abandoned the thought of non-cruelty to cultivate the thought of cruelty, and then his mind inclines to thoughts of cruelty.

“Just as in the last month of the rainy season, in the autumn, when the crops thicken, a cowherd would guard his cows by constantly tapping and poking them on this side and that with a stick to check and curb them. Why is that? Because he sees that he could be flogged, imprisoned, fined, or blamed [if he let them stray into the crops]. So too I saw in unwholesome states danger, degradation, and defilement, and in wholesome states the blessing of renunciation, the aspect of cleansing.

On verbal level one cannot find in Suttas any such thing as endurance of the states of greed, hate and delusion. They are painful states, and our primary task is to see them exactly as such. The absence of them is pleasant, mind has to see it.

Now, if one claims that based on the teaching of noble endurance one gradually frees oneself from what is painful and unwholesome, that’s great. I find such interpretation of Dhamma as totally unnecessary, more, it seems to be the case of:

“Bhikkhus, these two misrepresent the Tathāgata. Which two? One who explains a discourse whose meaning requires interpretation as a discourse whose meaning is explicit, and one who explains a discourse whose meaning is explicit as a discourse whose meaning requires interpretation. These two misrepresent the Tathāgata.” AN II 24

“And how, bhikkhus, is one subject to decline? Here, bhikkhus, when a bhikkhu has seen a form with the eye, there arise in him evil unwholesome states, memories and intentions connected with the fetters.

If the bhikkhu tolerates them and does not abandon them, dispel them, put an end to them, and obliterate them, he should understand this thus: ‘I am declining away from wholesome states. For this has been called decline by the Blessed One.’ SN 35: 96

It is a tendency - quite justified - not wholly trust one’s own intellectual powers, in the most cases things are more complicated than we suspect. So we may think that perhaps still due to his penetrative mind Venerable Nyanamoli sees such subtitles which aren’t accessible to us.

Unfortunately I know certain Dhamma discussion where Ven Nyanamoli insisted that sotāpanna doesn’t suffer. Another monk wasn’t able to convince him, that this is not so. But it was enough to ask question: Are the states of hate, greed and delusion painful?

Ven Nyanamoli arrived at such inference based on certain Sutta which opposed unshakability of ariya savaka, with unstable mind of puthujjana. His logic was quite simple, sotāpanna is ariya therefore he doesn’t suffer.

Perhaps when asked about the greed, hate and delusion he would explain that he meant merely unshakability it the face of pleasant and unpleasant sensory experience, but since sotāpanna isn’t free from from ill will and desire, it is still as much absurd to claim freedom from suffering in the case of sotāpanna.

Now, everyone can have weaker day, I think this discussion became quite famous, and Ven Nyanamoli was able to provide a certain rationalisation of it. Evidently his disciples weren’t discouradged. But I think it a good sign to be rather sceptical about his ideas when they on verbal level seem to contradict Suttas. Instead of acknowledge that in this particular context term “ariya savaka” has to be limited to arahat, and perhaps non-returner, he did opposite: acknowledged the term as valid for all ariya puggala and so arrived at proposition, which contradicts most of other Suttas. It is not an innocent mistake, it actually shows how the mind of Venerable works, or at least how it worked at that time. While such reasoning is misleading about sotāpanna, it provides valuable data about thinker who proposes it.

Before the advent of ven Nyanamoli’s school, we haven’t any such thing as noble endurance and pressure which has to be endured:

When you have a certain, say, sensual thought that is pressuring you, replacing it with something else is exactly like using a peg that is just as coarse, meaning you end up with just a different form of the same problem (you removed the sensuality which is welcoming the pressure, but are now left with aversion towards the pressure, and the “amount” of craving did not even diminish, it just “morphed”). The “finer peg” would be establishing a peripheral context that does not deny what has arisen, but also prevents you from welcoming what has arisen, and that can only be achieved through that endurance of the pressure. That context could even be the second reflection that is explained in that very sutta (and in MN 19 as well).

So we have it: if you are unsophisticated fellow and just do what the Lord Buddha says: remove from your mind sensual thoughts, you are according to Bhikkhu Antigua victim of aversion.
But why not a wise man who prefers what is pleasant and wholesome, namely mind free from sensual thoughts?

Also while on verbal level such teaching may seem to have some logic, after all aversion is an unwholesome state and aversion towards aversion seems to be contradictory idea; existence transcendents logic, one must start to practice from where one is, namely as a victim of greed, hate and delusion. And what seems impossible on verbal level, works on existential level.

“> When it was said: ‘This body has originated from craving; in dependence on craving, craving is to be abandoned,’ for what reason was this said? Here, sister, a bhikkhu hears: ‘The bhikkhu named so-and-so, with the destruction of the taints, has realized for himself with direct knowledge, in this very life, the taintless liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, and having entered upon it, he dwells in it.’ He thinks: ‘When will I, with the destruction of the taints, realize for myself with direct knowledge, in this very life, the taintless liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, and having entered upon it, dwell in it?’ Some time later, in dependence upon craving, he abandons craving. When it was said: ‘This body has originated from craving; in dependence on craving, craving is to be abandoned,’ it was because of this that this was said.

“When it was said: ‘This body has originated from conceit; in dependence on conceit, conceit is to be abandoned.’ With reference to what was this said? Here, sister, a bhikkhu hears: ‘The bhikkhu named so-and-so, with the destruction of the taints, has realized for himself with direct knowledge, in this very life, the taintless liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, and having entered upon it, he dwells in it.’ He thinks: ‘That venerable one, with the destruction of the taints, has realized for himself with direct knowledge, in this very life, the taintless liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, and having entered upon it, he dwells in it. Why, so can I!’ Some time later, in dependence upon conceit, he abandons conceit. When it was said: ‘This body has originated from conceit; in dependence on conceit, conceit is to be abandoned,’ it was because of this that this was said. AN IV 159

Nanavira Thera:

Your question about the propriety of sending good wishes (‘Is not wishing desire, and so to be shunned?’) can be answered, though not in one word. There is desire and desire, and there is also desire to end desire. There is desire that involves self-assertion (love, hate) and desire that does not (the arahat’s desire to eat when hungry, for example), and the former can be either self-perpetuating (unrestrained passion) or self-destructive (restrained passion). Self-destructive desire is bad in so far as it is passionate, and therefore good in so far as, translated into action, it brings itself to an end. (By ‘translated into action’ I mean that the desire for restraint does not remain abstractly in evidence only when one is not giving way to passion, but is concretely operative when there is actually occasion for it, when one is actually in a rage. To begin with, of course, it is not easy to bring them together, but with practice desire for restraint arises at the same time as the passion, and the combination is self-destructive. The Suttas say clearly that craving is to be eliminated by means of craving [A. IV ,159: ii,145-46]; and you yourself are already quite well aware that nothing can be done in this world, either good or bad, without passion—and the achievement of dispassion is no exception. But passion must be intelligently directed.) Since an arahat is capable of desiring the welfare of others, good wishes are evidently not essentially connected with self-assertion, and so are quite comme il faut.

One more objection:

It is overlooked that if one where to have a person wholly unfamiliar with meditation and Buddhist ideas—say, an average European from the 18th century equipped with a perfectly literal Pali dictionary, who will take what they read on its own terms and not those of Christianity or any other religion—read through the collection of early texts exclusively, without being told what they mean in advance (as most of us today are way before we actually read them), there is simply no way that they would come to the conclusion that the Buddhist path to liberation centers around stopping one’s thinking and/or watching bodily sensations.

Certainly venerable author doesn’t come to conclusion that ability to stop thinking has something in common with path to liberation, but how he arrived at that conclusion it is hard to say, most certainly not bssed on the following Suttas:

“Then the Tathāgata disciplines him further: ‘Come, bhikkhu, abide contemplating the body as a body, but do not think thoughts connected with the body… … Nanamoli’s translation. of MN 125

“But what is the source of desire?”
“Thought is the source of desire.” When mind thinks about something, desire arises; when the mind thinks about nothing, desire doesn’t arise. …
DN 21

When there is no manifestation of thinking, it is impossible to point out the manifestation of besetment by perceptions and notions [born of] mental proliferation. MN 18

It looks like Venerable author teaches not from textbooks, but just from his own experience, unfortunately if this is so, it looks like there is nothing in his experience based on which he could come to conclusion:

There is happiness when followed after by me makes unwholesome states vanish and good states grow, and should be followed after. This may be done with thinking and pondering or without thinking and pondering. Of the two that without thinking and pondering is better. DN 21

Venerable author speaks much about concrete thinking. It is indeed useful concept, I was introduced to it by Ven Nanavira Thera*. But unjustified extension of the validity of certain truth may be more dangerous than a mistake. And thinking, however useful it is, when done properly and correctly, isn’t the only source of knowledge, more, certain perceptions based on which one can develop knowledge, arise due to ability to investigate the mind empty of thoughts. Dhamma is atakkāvacara, not in the sphere of reason or logic.

Author says:

Therefore, instead of taking ānāpānāsati and the modern ideas of it as the starting point, one should actually interpret ānāpānāsati in the light of of the other comparatively enormous bulk of right reflections aimed at understanding the nature of things that the Buddha left behind, which are instead seen as supplementary, if at all considered.

Indeed, a good advice, however I suspect that author for unknown reasons doesn’t classifiy himself as a proponent of “modern ideas”, which is rather strange, I think he was born in twenty first century. Now, of course young man can have very traditional views, but in such case he would teach that ānāpānāsati should be practised for abandoning of thinking, unfortunately in his article there is nothing about it, for the reasons already known to us, if you escape from the unwholesome states into silent mind, you are motivated by aversion …

a bhikkhu should, in addition, maintain in being these four things. Loathsomeness (as the repulsive aspect of the body) should be maintained in being for the purpose of abandoning lust; loving-kindness for the purpose of abandoning ill will; mindfulness of breathing for the purpose of cutting off discursive thoughts; perception of impermanence for the purpose of eliminating the conceit ‘I am.’ Ud. 4:1; AN. 9:3.

Generally various people are on various level of understanding and perhaps such teaching as HH can be useful for someone. Also it cannot be excluded that my dissatisfaction with such teaching is due to my ignorance, and I am prejudiced, while in fact one who was able to insist on such nonsense as that sotāpanna doesn’t suffer, was also able to make a tremendous progress and is now in position to help me.

But after all we have to take a risk and trust someone based on our present understanding. I have no paranormal abilities, so it is possible that when translating his teaching into practice it has a positive influence on the students. If so, that’s great. Nevertheless either really I do not see something fundamental - I am blind to my own blindness - if you wish - or teaching from HH doesn’t inspire my trust quite justifiably, unlike in the case of Ven Nanavira writings.

Yes, I am aware of the catch -22. Perhaps Venerables from HH may say that it is because I failed to understand Venerable Ñanavìra and more generally the Dhamma.

And of course I am here just because from infinite time I wasn’t able to understand Dhamma, so statistically it is very likely that I still don’t understand it.

But since you were asking about HH teaching, based on my present understanding I have just explained why such teaching doesn’t inspire my trust. But I am not sure whether I should discourage you from such teaching. If it works for you that’s fine.

Lichtenberg said:

There is no more important rule of conduct in the world than this: attached yourself as much as you can to people who are abler than you and yet not so very different that you cannot understand them.

I have impression that Venerables from HH don’t think there are presently teachers more able to teach Dhamma than they, but, unlike Lord Buddha’s words or Nanavira Thera writings I simply don’t understand what they are talking about. I understand that greed, hate and delusion are painful states, and I understand why Dhamma advises me to remove them as quickly as possible when they arise.

So dialectic is as follows: either I have a problem with aversion because I am not able to “endure a pressure” of painful states and prefer what is pleasant, or they have a problem with delusion, because they weren’t able to endure pressure imposed by desire to teach what in fact is not understood by them.

But since this very sophisticated interpretation of Dhamma, which I am unable to grasp, comes from one who was able to insist that sotāpanna doesn’t suffer, however sceptical I am about my intellectual powers, I tend to think that there’s nothing wrong with removing unwholesome states as soon as they arise, and the concept of noble endurance is artificial, has no any resemblance with reality and creates unnecessary complications. Or in other words, it is misrepresentation of Tathagata, since it “explains a discourse whose meaning is explicit as a discourse whose meaning requires interpretation”. (AN II 24)

With metta

• On concrete and conceptual thinking:

Generally speaking, a concept, an idea, and a thought, are much the same thing, and can be described as an imaginary picture representing some real state of affairs. But this ‘representation’ is not simply a photographic reproduction (in the mind) of the real state of affairs in question. In a very simple case, if I now imagine or think of some absent object, the image that I have bears some sort of resemblance to the absent object.

But suppose I want to think about something like ‘the British Constitution’. I cannot simply produce an imaginary picture ‘looking like’ the British Constitution, because the B.C. does not ‘look like’ anything. What happens is that, over the years, I have built up a complex image, partly visual, partly verbal, and perhaps also with elements from other senses; and this complex image has an internal structure that corresponds to that of the B.C., at least in so far as I have correctly understood it. If, in my studies of the British Constitution I have con-sulted faulty authorities, or omitted part of it, these faults or omissions will be represented in this complex image. Whenever I wish to think about the B.C. (or even whenever anybody mentions it) this complex image comes to my mind, and it is with reference to it that I (for ex-ample) answer questions about the B.C. This complex image is a concept—it is my concept of the B.C. With luck, it may correspond fairly closely with the original thing, but most probably it is a very misleading representation. (Note that, since the essence of the concept is in the structure of the complex image, and not in the individual images that make up the complex image, it is quite possible to have a number of different complex images, but all with the same structure, to represent the real state of affairs in question. Here, the concept remains the same, though the image is different. Thus, in the world of art, it is possible to express the same idea either in music or in painting.) Now all conceptual thinking is abstract; that is to say, the thought or concept is entirely divorced from reality, it is removed from existence and is (in Kierkegaard’s phrase) sub specie æterni. Concrete thinking, on the other hand, thinks the object while the object is present, and this, in the strict sense of the words, is reflexion or mindfulness. One is mindful of what one is doing, of what one is seeing, while one is actually doing (or seeing) it. This, naturally, is very much more difficult than abstract thinking; but it has a very obvious advantage: if one is thinking (or being mindful) of something while it is actually present, no mistake is possible, and one is directly in touch with reality; but in abstract thinking there is every chance of a mistake, since, as I pointed out above, the concepts with which we think are composite affairs, built up of an arbitrary lot of individual experiences (books, conversations, past observations, and so on).

What Huxley is getting at, then, is simply this. As a result of our education, our books, radios, cinemas, televisions, and so on, we tend to build up artificial concepts of what life is, and these concepts are grossly misleading and are no satisfactory guide at all to real life.

(How many people, especially in the West, derive all their ideas about love from the cinema or T.V .—no wonder they run into difficulties when they begin to meet it as it is in reality!) Huxley is advocating a training in mindfulness (or awareness), satisampajanna—in thinking about life as it is actually taking place—instead of (or, at least, as well as) the present training in purely abstract thinking. In this way, so he maintains—and of course he is quite right—, people will be better fitted for dealing with life as it really is. Does this answer your question?

Nanavira Thera L 81

But again according to Suttas there is such thing as asankhata dhatu. And concrete thinking about asankhata dhatu should lead one to conclusion that it isn’t anything concrete :smiling_face: what could be the mind’s object. If one hope to arrive at direct knowledge of it, where one should look for it if not in the silence of mind free from mental objects?

Nanamoli Thera:

When we are young the noise of general conversation seems much the most fun. When we grow up we discover the possibilities of the tête-à-tête. In maturity the monologue habit sets in. But now at last there is the chance to investigate the rich depth of the silence when the monologue is suspended.

4 Likes

@knigarian

Firstly, I would like to thank you for perhaps the longest, most thorough, and most good-faith criticism of HH I have ever seen on the internet.

As I see it, your criticism is directed to 3 main topics:

1. “Right Endurance” (This is understandably the most common point of criticism we receive).
  2. Sotāpannas being incapable of suffering
  3. “Concrete Thinking” vs No Thinking

The topic of how to square Ajahn Nyanamoli’s teaching of “Right Endurance” with Right Effort and the Buddha’s broad encouragement found throughout the suttas towards broad, intensive, and ardent effort to eradicate defilement as quickly as possible has been discussed in disparate locations on the HH YouTube channel itself as well as in a variety of threads on EBT forums across the internet. The threads on the HH subreddit would probably be the most helpful, specifically the threads that Ven. Anīgha has personally engaged with, and in particular I would like to point people towards this [highly related thread]((https://reddit.com/r/HillsideHermitage/comments/1amu2uw/how_to_understand_mn20_in_relation_to_sīla_is/) where I think Ven. Anīgha most clearly and most thoroughly elaborated on many of the subtleties surrounding what we mean by Right Endurance and how it is not only compatible with but is in fact simply an alternate description of Right Effort as well as the 5 strategies for eliminating unwholesome thoughts as described in MN 20.

Truthfully, the basic issue here is the central issue of the Dhamma as a whole: what is kusala and what is akusala. Knowing wholesome as wholesome and unwholesome as unwholesome is one way Ven. Sariputta defines Right View (and thus the fundamental distinction between an ariya-sāvaka and a putthujjana) in MN 9. In SN 56.45 the Buddha describes Right View as more difficult to attain than using the end of a horse-hair to split another horse-hair in two. This is the reason for the broad HH insistence on never taking your current assumptions regarding what the Dhamma is for granted, because once a person truly understands what the Dhamma is they have simply by virtue of that understanding already reduced samsāra’s great himalaya mountain range of suffering to seven grains of sand. The intricate details of the subtle understanding required to even begin practicing the Dhamma that is the Right View is patently a

discourse whose meaning requires further interpretation

because if the opposite were the case then anyone who read any sufficiently doctrinally-relevant sutta would instantly thereby attain sotāpatti.

To summarize our position briefly myself before letting the interested reader independently investigate further—([the most recent HH video] ((https://youtu.be/igC9gzKZV6o?si=2UOkdcKdjvMp7dmZ), especially from 24:45 onwards is yet another resource I can point towards)—the basic principle of kusala vs. akusala has absolutely nothing to do with the content of experience and everything to do with the emotional context of that experience and, more particularly, the habit of taking any emotional orientation towards your senses for granted by virtue of choosing to act out of the pressure any such emotional context is currently exerting on you. To the extent that a person is aware of, not taking for granted, and refraining from acting out of the passion that is contextual to, for example, a sexual or angry thought, they are to the exact same extent not passionate. Emotionality and awareness of the danger of emotionality are ontologically incompatible. Being ever-mindful of the suffering intrinsic to being emotionally bound to your senses and correspondingly perpetually refusing to engage in passionate acts by body, speech, and mind that perpetuate that emotional entanglement is nothing more and nothing less than the Noble Eightfold Path. Emotionally reacting to thoughts whose content is sexual by trying to viciously annihilate that content by volitionally directing mano towards new thoughts of “asubha content” is just another way of both mistaking where the problem truly lies (affirming the direction of emotionality contextual to the thought by volitionally acting out under the weight of its pressure) while also fueling the fire of emotionality even further by getting all worked up about the fact that thoughts of a certain content have arisen. Mano and the dhammas that arise on it are part of Māra’s domain—which is a good thing, because that means that they’re not your responsibility. All you have to do is not take the bait—ever. Trying to annihilate the bait is another way of taking the bait, and such misguided practice is still indelibly bound up with passion, which is all Māra wants from you in the first place. Affirm, deny, or ignore—Māra is good with whatever option you want so long as it is still reflexive and emotional and ignorant. What must truly be annihilated are not the content of thoughts, but the fear and impatience and heedlessness and doubt contextual to that content that might tempt you to give in to the pressure, and all four of those things are instantly annihilated upon becoming aware that they are the real problem—not the content of experience that they contextualize. Upon ardently and resolutely and skillfully refusing to give in to only those things for which you are responsible for—those emotional attitudes you have cultivated through aeons of previous unwholesome actions—to that extent those attitudes will have been instantly dispelled and replaced with bravery, patience, heedfulness, confidence, etc. As with anything else, the emotional context of a thought is what determines whether or not actively engaging with that thought is wholesome or unwholesome—not the content of the thought. Establishing an ardent context of dispassionate and resolute endurance of a certain train of (potentially) unwholesome thought is what permanently ensures that that train of thought will never become unwholesome—so long as you do not choose to give in to its pressure and start to act upon it, welcome it, delight in it, etc.

As for sotāpannas being incapable of suffering, I can point to all of Ven. Anīgha’s comments in [this thread] ((https://www.reddit.com/r/HillsideHermitage/comments/18mfhxc/the_suffering_left_for_a_streamenterer_sn_5649/) as well as his [translation] (https://1drv.ms/w/s!AsMi4Rc0OEIMhEsc3XIDZMUfonN-?e=NoTikl) and subsequent [reddit discussion] ((https://reddit.com/comments/18ppxrp) of the Arrow Sutta (SN 36.6) wherein it is stated explicitly by the Buddha that ariya-sāvakā only experience dukkha of the kāya, not dukkha of the citta. An important distinction here is between the suffering associated with the mind sense-base, mano, and the citta. Mano and its mental images are part of the kāya, whereas…well, the citta is never given a definition in the suttas so when I say something fancy like the citta being the “synthetic aggregate of understanding, knowledge, and intentionality that forms a being’s most fundamental existential orientation towards reality” and that such an orientation, (like the craving that infects it), is not the same thing as the five aggregates but that it also cannot be discerned apart from them…well, you’ll have to take my interpretive word for it. But whatever the citta is, the Buddha says in SN 36.6 that no noble disciple can experience suffering associated with it. This is what Ajahn Nyanamoli is talking about when he declares a sotāpanna to already be free from suffering. Hopefully the links provided give even more explanation to your satisfaction.

As for issue #3, (here I am mostly going off of my intellectual understanding of the suttas and Ajahn Nyanamoli’s teaching without any ultimate personal mastery) we do not deny that thoughts cease when abiding in the second jhāna and that obviously such an abiding is more peaceful than the thinking and pondering present in the first jhāna. The issue is with how to go about attaining to such supramundane planes of existence in the first place. Hypnotic focusing/trance technique aren’t going to cut it, no matter how pleasant such trances might be, and such techniques are nowhere to be found in the suttas besides. You might be able to find them if you go looking in the Patanjali Yoga Sutra, though, what a coincidence…But perhaps simply conceding the superior peacefulness of no-thinking while asserting that hypnotizing yourself into such a state will always constitute a corruption of that peace by virtue of the heedless muddled stupor intrinsic to all hypnosis is enough for number 3. HH’s unique take on the Jhāna Wars is worth a thread unto itself.

In closing I’d again like to emphasize that I am replying to you out of a great respect for how clearly thoughtful and in good-faith your criticisms were, (especially considering how obviously familiar with Ven. Ñanavīra’s work you are) as well to encourage anyone interested in voicing such criticisms to continue to do so (you will be most likely to get the largest quantity and quality and timeliness of a response on r/HillsideHermitage), and to demonstrate that we are not unaware of the breadth of possible criticisms that can and have been brought against us and that we (hopefully) have and will continue to always have explanations that accord with the suttas. Ven. Anīgha’s reddit profile in particular…his corpus of comments are a goldmine of in-depth HH explanation.

6 Likes