Buddhadasa vs Hillside interpretation

There is no such statement on account of arahats in the quotes you provided: automatic does not mean automatic only in relation to pleasure and pain.

You can’t redefine pleasure and pain because they are defined by the body. You can only redefine what is desirable and undesirable and how to act on the basis of current experience. For an ordinary person, desirable is the pleasure feeling and undesirable is the painful or neutral feeling.

But action as intention is about desire - it is about what to do with what is already there.

For an ordinary person, the automatic response to the presence of a feeling is to act on that feeling, and that is the only way such a person knows how to deal with it. Because the scope for what is desirable in his case is limited by the feeling.

The pressure here is the pressure to act, to do something about the present feeling. By acting out of the feeling, a person implicitly appropriates the feeling and everything else that is implied in the assumption of being able to control it, to deal with it. This is involvement in ignorance, and such involvement implies blindness to the nature of the feeling and the present experience in general.

The endurance here is the endurance to the intention to act simply because of the present feeling and for a future feeling. And for this there must first be a new definition of desirable and undesirable, not defined by feeling alone. Yes, actions on account of such views for an ordinary person are still based on feeling, but they are based on feeling for something of a higher order - on views about present experience and correct understanding of that experience and its nature.

The second point here is that a thought to a mind is the same as a sight to an eye - it’s a perception, an image in the mind, and it’s beyond your control. But thinking isn’t just a thought, it’s an action with the mind based on an aroused perception, be it a thought or a view.

The arising of various images in the mind is one thing, but to act upon them actively with mind and body is another. For an ordinary person, any thought that arises is his thought, because such an arising involves a feeling and consequently a pressure to act on it - there is blindness to the nature of the thought and feeling, and there is an automatic reaction to that thought based on the desired change of feeling that the thought arose with.

3 Likes

I was starting to write a comment apologising about how my response would probably disappoint you because I find your comment fantastic and, well-thought and thorough and my command of english language, my knowledge of Nanavira’s work and my personal progress on the path could not be sufficient to give you an answer as thorough as yours. Keller did a much better job that I could ever do ! I want to thank you about the reference here :
" a bhikkhu should, in addition, maintain in being these four things. Loathsomeness (as the repulsive aspect of the body) should be maintained in being for the purpose of abandoning lust; loving-kindness for the purpose of abandoning ill will; mindfulness of breathing for the purpose of cutting off discursive thoughts; perception of impermanence for the purpose of eliminating the conceit ‘I am.’ Ud. 4:1; AN. 9:3."
I didn’t know about this sutta about mindfulness of breathing and if I’m not mistaken out of the thousands of sutta there are, there’s only a handful or even less talking directly about mindfulness of breathing. I’ll take some time to read the context of this sutta as you never know whose audience it’s for. Anyhow, do you know other sutta which mentions directly mindfulness of breathing, apart from the Anapanasati one of course ?

2 Likes

According EBT the mind is truly dispassionate when no unvoluntairy instinctively engagement takes place anymore with a sense object via 7 anusaya.

For example, if pain arises we often notice that dislike arises too, a desire not to feel it, a desire that it stops to exist (dosa anusaya is triggered). It is not that this passion is our choice. It happens out of force of habit. Pain and dosa have a very longstanding relation. It is historically grown that way.

One cannot say that there is no passion at this moment. Mind has become passionate towards that pain, ofcouse. EBT does not teach that if one does not consciously feed the existent passion, there is no passion. I feel this is nice. This avoids self-and other deception.

In other words, nor initial passion towards sense objects, nor dispasssion is ones choice.

2 Likes

On this question about right endurance versus right effort, I think it is an outgrowth of how the question, “in what sense should we regard dependent phenomena as the three marks and in what sense we should not?” is handled. The genesis or root of this dispute over right endurance versus right effort I think is a outgrowth of this more basic question.

It is said by the Teacher that all conditioned things are annica, dukkha, and anatta. Some take this quite literally which I think can lead to great confusion. Do others see how this question of right endurance versus right effort is dependent upon this more basic question or is it my own misguided apprehension? :pray:

The point is that there is no ‘versus’ here: in order to be able to act skillfully, there must first be an ability to act not out of immediate desire in relation to the feeling associated with the present perception and for the sake of a better future feeling - there must be an ability to endure the habit of acting unskillfully.

The problem is not the arising painful or unhealthy thought as an image in the mind, the problem is acting out of feeling and for feeling in relation to that arising thought: the problem is the inappropriate direction of your attention and intention to develop that thought, the problem is involvement in it with your mind, body and speech.

1 Like

MN 2 sub point 4 talks about defilements (greed, aversion, delusion) that are given up by enduring.

And what are the defilements that should be given up by enduring? Take a mendicant who, reflecting rationally, endures cold, heat, hunger, and thirst. They endure the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, and reptiles. They endure rude and unwelcome criticism. And they put up with physical pain—sharp, severe, acute, unpleasant, disagreeable, and life-threatening.

For the distressing and feverish defilements that might arise in someone who lives without enduring these things do not arise when they are endured. These are called the defilements that should be given up by enduring.

2 Likes

BTW, here is today’s excellent video on the topic of endurance:
Unwelcoming of the Hindrances

2 Likes

Yes, this very true, and it is one aspect of the structure of experience that allows for liberation in the first place. You might notice in the comment you are replying to that I periodically used qualifying phrases like “to that extent” when talking about a practitioner’s dispassion or lack thereof in the present moment. The wholistic aggregate of contextual emotionality that weighs upon the minds of beings is indeed never their immediate choice but is rather the present result of a whole history of previous volitional emotional engagement with the world/their senses, and it cannot be eliminated directly or immediately because any such brutish direct assault will, ironically, just be an impatient and frustrated emanation of the same emotionality that assault seeks to destroy. To the extent that someone has thoroughly understood that dynamic and thereby felt the weight of the futility of action itself and has therefore resolved to simply refrain from volitionally engaging in that action-fueled autonomously-arisen aggregate of emotionality, to that extent a person will be free from that emotionality by virtue of understanding it, understanding precisely where their responsibility for it all begins and ends. The extent of that understanding and corresponding freedom from passion will not be complete until arahatta, but even just fully understanding the fact that passion is something that has its own autonomous momentum that will unravel of its own accord so long as you do not provide it any more fuel via your actions is one aspect of the profound liberation attained initially at sotāpatti. The passion of the citta is your responsibility, but that responsibility itself is something that arises autonomously. You have no immediate say in its arising or its passing away. It is anicca. It is dukkha. It is anatta.

All of the subtle emotional dynamics and all the contextual forms knowledge and understanding and intentionality that permeate your experience co-arise of their own accord intimately co-dependent on each other in one intricate phenomenological structure. Passion and the actions that are born out of it is the habit of ignoring the fact that not only is the content of experience something you are subjected to and something that is entirely beyond any conceivable notion of fundamental control, but even the basic structure of those experiences is outside of your control as well. No matter where you turn your attention towards, birth, aging, sickness, and death contextually surround you. We are buried alive in the structure of existence itself. Inescapable. Something we are subjected to without any basic control. But. That is also not a problem so long as we are emotionally indifferent to it. Emotional indifference grows when we don’t intentionally choose to ignore that our existence is a coffin we are buried within by acting passionately towards the world. Being passionate to any extent about being in a coffin is ignoring the reality that you’re trapped in a coffin. We can only truly become dispassionate about the situation by fully understanding and not ignoring or explaining away the true horror of it all. But once that burden is accepted and taken on, the whole thing can unravel of its own accord in its own time, and our basic lack of control becomes an asset rather than our killer. So long as I don’t make it my problem, none of it is my problem. And the fact that I still have a tendency to make it my problem is also not my problem, so long as I don’t make it my problem. meta-meta-meta-meta dispassion all the way down.

You’re still passionate? Endure the pain of that. You feel like you need to be “doing more”? Endure the pain of that. Bored? Endure it. Lustful? Endure it. Anxious that this whole endurance thing is a lot less palpable than a mechanical meditation technique and is bringing up a lot of existential angst? Good! That means you’re doing it right. Endure that, too. Endure it until you are dead, because that is exactly what will happen if you get meta-meta-meta-meta dispassionate like this. You will die an irreversible emotional death. When you’re buried alive, the only problem is that you’re still trying to get out, and the only way to stop trying to get out is to refrain from all the ways you notice yourself still trying to get out until the basic premise of ever even being able to get out has been thoroughly understood as categorically delusional.

It’s no accident that people relentlessly grasp onto meditation techniques and “Buddhist” third-person metaphysical explanations of what they conceive anatta to be with whole millenias of scholastic proliferation around concepts that they made up like svabhāva or Indra’s Net or whatever. All of that is one big collection of a lot of really pious and really effective ways of avoiding the basic problem that is our most fundamental emotional relationship with reality that we are responsible for. Whether hypnotically ignoring the problem or metaphysically explaining the problem away or heedlessly assuming that our teacher’s training regimen will magically eventually cure us of our suffering so long as we go through the mechanical steps with sufficiently-pious ardor and long-term intensive emotional commitment or some combination of all three are all just many ways of refusing to take responsibility for our fricking life and our choices and our emotionality and our ignorance. The emotionality is always the only problem, but that emotionality is the last thing people want to truly question, because it is not just the basis of their entire religious lifestyle and worldview, but of their existence as a whole. And thus ignorance and passion is a vicious cycle, an endless bloodbath. Piety is just one more aspect of that problem, not its solution.

Friend, in zen tradition, they say mountains are mountains, trees are trees, sky is blue, grass is green. I have practiced zen for some considerable time, so it seems to me that flies are just flies, and greed, hate and delusion are mental unwholesome states.

So I was always wondering why they teach such obvious things as mountains are mountains, but now I see that indeed some Buddhists need that teaching☺️

With metta

1 Like

If it were that easy, everybody would be a sotāpanna.

SN 56.45

1 Like

Thank you friend, for your comment, I hope that you will progress in Dhamma :smiling_face:
The point is I am rather hard core of orthodoxy, (at least in my own eyes :smiling_face:) so I do read only Suttas and from time to time I refresh my memory of Nanavira’s writing.

So as far as suffering goes, my definition of it is strictly based on Suttas, and conceit “I am” I classifiy as Suffering. And generally the states of greed, hate and delusion are also suffering.

And I don’t feel any need to redefine my definition of Suffering. While Venerables from forest traditions talk about original mind and so on, I think that either they don’t know what they are talking about, or perhaps they are refering, based on their own experience, to asankhata dhatu.

I don’t understand precisely what you mean by that sotāpanna doesn’t suffer, but I hope you know what you are talking about :smiling_face:.

Anyway, all the best for you!
with metta

Perhaps, I am not phenomenological philosopher. Nevertheless consciousness either is satisfied by the present state, or tries to avoid pain, or tries to arrive at more pleasant state. In arahat as well puthujjana’s experience things work like this, but in puthujjana experience perception of what is pleasurable and what is painful is influenced by greed, hate delusion.

I don’t understand why you think I can’t redefine what is pleasant and what is painful. Since I am answering you, I found it the best option for now, but for example reading your answer, I may come to conclusion that continuity of discussion is disagreeable.:smiling_face:

With metta

Thanks for sharing.

I am more at a point that i see that the heart cannot really be convinced of anything. All that what is not really ones own, all that needs constant attention to grow, to develop, to establish. But what is ones own in an effortless way?

I believe, what is our own in an effortless way, in a non-possessive way, is that our heart does not listen :innocent: It is deaf to my beggings to be heard, seen, appreciated, have grip, be wise, an expert, a Buddha, a…

It is like it is never impressed. Like a Father who does not care and the child who starts to try to impress his holy Father even more and more. The heart is still insensitive to it. Only what cannot be owned and conditioned and established seems to be effortlessly our own.

I feel, the heart has no intention, no wish to arrive anywhere… All goals the human mind has are alien to the heart, i feel. What is our responsibility? Or mine? I tend to: one can only be as honest, sincere, upright possible and see what is going on.

Why do we discuss endlessly all these texts, doctrines, concepts and the Path? I believe, because in fact our heart is really never convinced. And even if our noise becomes louder and louder in trying to convince ourselves and others, like the child with his holy Father, it does not happen.

Now one can see this as a problem. I believe we must look at it differently. It is a very great quality. We must not ignore the fact that the heart is not impressed at all by all ours ideas, socalled knowledge, socalled wisdom, socalled insights. It is great.

We try to impress our hearts and force knowledge, direction, goals upon it. I feel it as my responsibility to stop this. It will always fail because all that is alien to the heart, i now feel.

In its gripless non-impressed nature the heart seems to be all knowingly open, sensitive and wise but i see that it is very difficult to tolerate. We can bel offended by it! This is the dart.

We always see so much wisdom in having this and that. We never see it in not having anything. We always see and follow a Path of accumulating, developing, establising, making, producing, having and becoming such and such a person.
We are always so submerged in trying to impress, yes, even when we fake that we are not busy trying to impress, we are busy trying to impress. Honesty sees we do.

I believe, the search, my search certainly, is not really about suffering and its cessation. The real drive is the hunger to impress and the search for respect, authority, appreciation because otherwise i do not feel at ease. That is the honest story of Green :innocent:

Namo Buddhaya!

In regards to my criticism of Ven. NV and Ven. NM here and elsewhere.

Even if i disagree with some statements, even where it has to do with essential terminology & concepts, it is not that i think the person has misunderstood the meaning as it might just be a matter of expression.

And so i wouldn’t claim to know what is “phenomenology” and how these people think/thought in general.

I also think that point about enduring unwholesome states is but a trivial point.

One can say that one has to patiently endure the training in general, and so it is not some radical idea that one would want to endure one’s predicament however it is, as in dealing with it aopropriately & without overreacting.

It is only when one interprets endurance & tolerance for not doing anything about the unwholesome states & not being principally opoosed them, that is when people would disagree.

I can also say that i have a bias against the movement because of my subjective experience in dealing with people who claim to be disciples and gossip about them in general.

I do want to recognize this and be fair in saying that i wouldn’t want to make a hasty judgment about the teachers based on interactions with their fans.

Frankly i just can’t understand much of what they say and i haven’t had the incentive to read all the notes and i don’t understand what means this phenonenological buddhism, is that what it’s called?

At this point in my life, if i read something and it’s not immediately understandable then i don’t bother with it lest i need to. And so i will probably never understand what this is all about lest someone can popularize it for me, i sm sure many would be interested

Is there a beginning to time?
Does it have overlap with indirect realism?
Nothing after parinibbana?
Is this some secular movement?
What is the big deal about NV interpretation?
What is the merit of learning phenomenology?
What exactly should one learn to understand the discourse, a reading list of requisite texts held to be true?

I figure there must be some way to tell me the gist as to how it is different from other interpretations without needing to write so much.

What i have read has been hardly worth the effort, I spent a lot of time to find some mistakes and didn’t learn anything other than to point it out.

This is also topic of AN4.195. One cannot really prevent, i believe, that earlier bad deeds ripen in painful ways. Then one has to endure that vipaka little by little and wear that old kamma away. At the same time one does no new deeds.

It is not difficult to see that for the Buddha, and for many other people too (also me), emotionality arises because of the real experience of not being in control, not being God, not being a ruler. That is very hard to accept.

We are not that powerful as our haughtiness makes us believe. We do not have that power. There is impotence. That makes us mad, angry, sad, bitter. And then we start to talk about life as terror, horror, a bloodbath.

It is exaclty this emotionality of being not in control, being no ruler and being mad about it, that we must feel responsible for. This bitterness, this hate, this impotence.

No…we must not, like you, pretent life IS terror, horror. Never. That is the same as taking no responsibility for our emotions. All we need is honesty about this.

It is not more difficult then this.

Namo Buddhaya!

So I’ve talked to someone i believe to be an aurhority on the works of Ven. NV and he explained in brief.

As i understood the work is more so a descriptive interpretation rather than a particularly comprehensive doctrinal interpretation of texts, and fosters a particular attitude towards one’s predicament and the texts, rather than being a complete doctrine explaining things like nibbana & consciousness in a particular way even tho there are some propositions.

As i understand it, that is the gist of what appeals to people who study it, and there is probably little to no assumed infallability of Ven. NV’s notes on any particular subject for most people.

It would be interesting to know whether people who like this approach much care about whether Ven. NV was really a sotapanna and whether all things he said are correct.

The way I see it, the most a person can gain from the information that someone might be a sotapanna is inspiration. Anything more than that is irresponsible…on behalf of listener. It is more responsible to operate under the premise that receiving information is not the same as understanding the full extent of it, which is to say: the prospect of sotapatti can be inspiring even if we don’t fully understand what it means.

When I first started reading Ven. Nanavira (circa ‘08), I thought it sounded “cool” that he was a sotapanna, but I understood that I was not qualified to know either way, so I didn’t dwell on it. This was further formalized a few years later when I heard a talk by Ajahn Nyanamoli where he pointed out that even if someone else was a sotapanna, it would make absolutely no difference to anyone who didn’t understand what it means to have the right view. That really hit home. In the end, we each have to do the work, and knowing what it means to be a sotapanna is the absolute core of what it means to be one, so if a person is unsure what it means, they are totally unqualified to assess whether or not another is either.

So, if a person is following or idolizing Ven. Nanavira on account his claim of sotapatti, that is a terrible waste of their time. The claim is no one’s to share, so people should be cautious about how enamored they are about it. (It is also important to note, that his realization was described in a private letter to a senior monk, who later shared the news with others. So, it does not even seem to be the case that Ven. Nanavira wanted others to know.)

All in all, it isn’t a matter of whether or not his descriptions were comparable to any other traditional interpretation, because that is not what he set out to do. His writings are meant to support the adoption of an attitude that the individual would have to see through for a given period of time, and only then would it be appropriate to judge the work as beneficial or not. So, anyone who is skeptical of Ven. Nanavira really needs to take this into deep consideration. The writings are not meant to replace or remake anything, but are there as a practical way to apply the suttas. Yes, there are cases where this does amount to a changing in meaning and phrasing, but only in an effort to put the emphasis as close a possible to the center of the experience, and take the instruction as personal as it can be taken.

I hope this clarifies things.

7 Likes

Ah, well, in that case I suppose we can just throw SN 15.13, SN 15.3, SN 35.238, SN 47.20, the whole Papātavagga of SN, AN 1.333-377 and, you know, the first Noble Truth straight into the garbage. (And those are just off the top of my head).

The horror of existence and our emotionality in regard to that horror are two different things. It is possible and, indeed, necessary to fully recognize and understand the former in order to fully take responsibility for the latter.

Hello, friend

I don’t think I know any sutta about mindfulness of breathing which would be of some interest, but while it looks like we approach to the Dhamma differently, you are quite open-minded, so I try to describe also my understanding of so called samadhi and its relation with right view, which definitely is not in agreement with HH ideas about samadhi.

Generally any kind of samadhi which has direct relation with arising of the right view, has to take into account doctrine of anatta, since there is nothing directly liberating per se in the 8 attainments, avijja can survive all of them.

breathing happens – it isn’t mine.
Pessoa

I sit down in a room, quiet and half dark and watch the act of breathing—the bodily sensation of air touching the tip of the nose: I experience sensing the bodily sensation at an interval of space. I can place the bodily sensation in space as sensed from the direction in which I am. But when I follow that direction back and look for the “I,” then I am no longer there but in another place. I have no place in space. I see and sense space and the “things” in it from a place where I am not. Space is complete without “I” and there is no room for “I” in space at all. This I call the inner vertigo. Nanamoli Thera

The emphasis should be put on anatta. But now, really Ven Nanavira got it wrong, when he translated samadhi as concentration?

I don’t think so. I don’t want to convince you, nor to prove anything to you, just to offer different view on what samadhi is. While I can’t describe it as Nanavira’s view, I am certain that he haven’t seen samadhi as relaxed composure of mind.

Definitely I must say, that Ven Nyanamoli is a man of integrity, as he lives so he teaches, but I dare to say Venerable Ñanavira would agree with me, that living in small space with entire pack of dogs, doesn’t provide suitable conditions for mental concentration and absorbtion. Perhaps ven Nyanamoli also would agree with this, but since he doesn’t see samadhi as intense mental concentration, he was able to live sometimes with four dogs if not more, on very limited space. And dogs really absorb one’s own attention. This is of course no problem, when samadhi is as it is described by HH.

So I am not sure whether Ven Nanavira seen the Sutta↓ as an ideal description of mental concentration:

“Bhikkhus, suppose that on hearing, ‘The most beautiful girl of the land! The most beautiful girl of the land!’ a great crowd of people would assemble. Now that most beautiful girl of the land would dance exquisitely and sing exquisitely. On hearing, ‘The most beautiful girl of the land is dancing! The most beautiful girl of the land is singing!’ an even larger crowd of people would assemble.

Then a man would come along, wishing to live, not wishing to die, wishing for happiness, averse to suffering. Someone would say to him: ‘Good man, you must carry around this bowl of oil filled to the brim between the crowd and the most beautiful girl of the land. A man with a drawn sword will be following right behind you, and wherever you spill even a little of it, right there he will fell your head.’

“What do you think, bhikkhus, would that man stop attending to that bowl of oil and out of negligence turn his attention outwards?”

“No, venerable sir.”“I have made up this simile, bhikkhus, in order to convey a meaning. This here is the meaning: ‘The bowl of oil filled to the brim’: this is a designation for mindfulness directed to the body. Therefore, bhikkhus, you should train yourselves thus: ‘We will develop and cultivate mindfulness directed to the body, make it our vehicle, make it our basis, stabilize it, exercise ourselves in it, and fully perfect it.’ Thus, bhikkhus, should you train yourselves.”
SN 47: 20

Whether such intensity is always neccesery and this sutta provide general standard for mental concentration* - I am not sure that Ven Nanavira would agree. *Additional remark, as Buddha’s follower perhaps you aren’t really very interested in survival in space and time, but I hope you will not project your attitude on common man, who quite clearly sees things differently, wants to survive, and who would attend to “the bowl” not merely with composed mind, but with great intensity and focused attention.

Whatever Ven Nanavira was about SN 47: 20, samadhi according to him requires absence of any outside disturbances:

I myself have practised fairly continuously for one year, and then (after amoebiasis had crippled my capacity for practice) spasmodically for about fourteen years, and I am quite familiar with the low-level results of this practice. There is a gradual and increasing experience of calm and tranquillity as the object of meditation (in my case, the in- and out-breaths) becomes clearer and more definite, and at the same time distracting thoughts about other matters become less. (If one does turn one’s attention to such matters, they are seen much more clearly and steadily than at normal times.) As one proceeds, one’s capacity for practice increases, and one may be able to continue (with interruptions for meals, etc.) for many hours; and also one positively dislikes any outside interruption, and necessary breaks are most unwelcome. L 126

If you spend some time in solitude, you would know that company of animals, specially dogs may be useful for developing metta, or neutral in the case you just want to remind mindful, but most certainly it is rather absorbing and distracting, and it is exactly the reason why monks who love animals, nevertheless have traditional views on what samadhi is, don’t like animals in their kutis.

To repeat, I just provide you with certain different understanding of how samadhi should be seen.
In that particular approach, it is wrong to speak about “signs” of mind as I have seen in one of HH articles. Pluar form isn’t justified. Why?

What you know, all you know as mind objects, derived from 5- sensory data. But mind as such is unknown directly, at least in normal experience. No doubt there is certain mental space in which all objects appear, but when Suttas say about breathing and experiencing one’s mind, it describes more advanced state, inaccessible to the beginner:

He trains thus: ‘I shall breathe in experiencing the mind’; he trains thus: ‘I shall breathe out experiencing the mind.

Unfortunately I have no Sutta to prove my understanding, but fortunately, as I said, in no way I want to convince you, just merely provide alternative vison of what samadhi is. And I hope to receive some merit from it, regardless potential readers agreement or disagreement with it.

Cittassa nimittam should be understood (in my understanding) literally, you just grasp the sign of what mind is.

How? As I see it, if your approach to samadhi is based on description provided by Master Eckhart you would naturally, after some time grasped it. Now, I assume that you are intelligent enough to dismiss such description, just because you thought it over, and found it unacceptable, and not because Master Eckhart was Christian, or even worse, a mystic. Just to neutralise little bit cognitive dissonance, Heidegger was interested in Master Eckhart, and some modern Indian philosopher recognised him as the greatest European philosopher. Of course not many modern philosophers would agree. Nevertheless what is important to understand is our existential situation: mind of common man is distracted by sensory experience and our efforts of concentration should be directed to withdrawal of it from sensory experience, we know many things, but not what mind is.

“Friend, what can be known by purified mind-consciousness released from the five faculties?”“Friend, by purified mind-consciousness released from the five faculties the base of infinite space can be known thus: ‘Space is infinite’; the base of infinite consciousness can be known thus: ‘Consciousness is infinite’; and the base of nothingness can be known thus: ‘There is nothing.′”

Now, this is of course very high state of mind withdrawal, - sensory experience is absent, but you should know at least that it can be attained not just out of nothing, but gradually by total withdrawal of one’s interest in sensory experience which requires rather intense effort of concentration or unification of mind, previously distracted by sensory experience.

these five faculties each have a separate field, a separate domain, and do not experience each other’s field and domain, that is, the eye faculty, the ear faculty, the nose faculty, the tongue faculty, and the body faculty. Now these five faculties, each having a separate field, a separate domain, not experiencing each other’s field and domain, have mind as their resort, and mind experiences their fields and domains. MN 43

Here Master Eckhart repeats what I was stated, of course term “soul” here stands for mind:

Through this presented image, the soul approaches creatures - an image being something that the soul makes of (external) objects with her own powers. Whether it is a stone, a horse, a man, or anything else that she wants to know, she gets out the image of it that she has already taken in, and is thus enabled to unite herself with it.

But for a man to receive an image in this way, it must of neces­sity enter from without through the senses. In consequence, there is nothing so unknown to the soul as herself. Accordingly, one master says that the soul can neither create nor obtain an image of herself.

Therefore she has no way of knowing herself, for images all enter through the senses, and hence she can have no image of herself. And so she knows all other things, but not herself. Of nothing does she know so little as of herself, for want of mediation.

And here my favourite description of what aim and proper attitude of samadhi is, again “soul” stands for mind:

But the soul is scattered abroad among her powers and dissipated in the action of each: the power of sight in the eye, the power of hearing in the ear, the power of tasting in the tongue - thus her ability to work inwardly is enfeebled, for a scattered power is imperfect. So, for her inward work to be effective, she must call in all her powers and gather them together from the diversity of things to a single inward activity. St. Augustine says the soul is rather where she loves than where she gives life to the body. For example, there was once a pagan master who was devoted to an art, that of mathematics, to which he had devoted all his powers. He was sitting by the embers, making calculations and practicing this art, when a man came along who drew a sword and, not knowing that it was the master, said, ‘Quick, tell me your name or I’ll kill you!’ The master was too absorbed to see or hear the foe or to catch what he said: he was unable to utter a word, even to say, ‘My name is so-and-so.’ And so the enemy, having cried out several times and got no answer, cut off his head.

And this was to acquire a mere natural science. How much more then should we withdraw from all things in order to concentrate all our powers on perceiving and knowing the one infinite, uncreated, eternal truth! To this end, then, assemble all your powers, all your senses, your entire mind and memory; direct them into the ground where your treasure lies buried. But if this is to happen, realize that you must drop all other works - you must come to an unknowing, if you would find it.

Ven Nanadipa wasn’t master of jhanas, but he claimed to experienced the state of concentration attained due to reading Suttas. According to proposed vision of things as they are, it is quite natural. It is important to have enormous interest in one subject so mind is totally absorbed in it. If you read Suttas in order to understand certain point, thinking isn’t problem, as long as nothing else isn’t of any interest to you.

While the following description is not strictly related with samadhi I think it shows well required attitude:

What is wanted is a man who will argue a single point, and go on arguing it until the matter is clear to him, because he sees that everything else depends upon it. With such a person communication (i.e., of truth that edifies) can take place. Nanavira Thera

Precisely the same attitude is described in zen tradition, you receive certain kongan, problem to solve, in our tradition it can be replaced by desire to understand dependent arising. Unfortunately most people as soon as they become monks, have a strong desire to teach about dependent arising, despite the fact they know that they aren’t ariyas, it is a great mystery, not wholly grasped by me. Nevertheless one condition for attainment of concentration should be obvious: one must be ernest, one must clearly see that one doesn’t understand certain things, and one must have a strong desire to change this situation.

Another example from zen tradition is the cat who watches place where mouse is hidden. Attention of such cat is so focused that even if you move slowly his body to different position, his eyes still be focused on the hole. Of course we can have justified ethical objections regarding cat motivation, but for didactic reasons this example well describes what unification of mind is. As you undoubtedly observe, it much resembles SN 47: 20.

Now coming back to cittassa nimittam. Even if your primary focus is thinking about Dhamma - attempts to understand dependent arising for example - if you are able to sustain such focused attention, you will observe that at certain point mind just cannot work anymore, and gaps between thoughts starts to appear. As I understand HH teaching such gaps aren’t valuable at all. But even if you previously had such idea, you would be guided by pain / pleasure principle, you will enjoy such gaps and try to extend them. And as I see, the gaps between thoughts is what Sutta describes as cittassa nimittam, since thoughts appear always precisely on this silent background of mind, previously ignored. And this is the reason why ven Nanavira uses singular “sign”.

But recognition of the silent background of mind as cittassa nimittam is a temporary experience and in fact can be attain by outsiders. There is no such division as Buddhist jhanas and outsiders jhanas.

“Here, Udāyin, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the first jhāna…With the stilling of applied and sustained thought, he enters upon and abides in the second jhāna…in the third jhāna…This is the practical way to realise an exclusively pleasant world.”“Venerable sir, that is not the practical way to realise an exclusively pleasant world; at that point an exclusively pleasant world has already been realised.”“Udāyin, at that point an exclusively pleasant world has not yet been realised; that is only the practical way to realise an exclusively pleasant world.”

When this was said, the wanderer Sakuludāyin’s assembly made an uproar, saying very loudly and noisily: “We are lost along with our own teachers’ doctrines! We are lost along with our own teachers’ doctrines! We know nothing higher than that!” MN 79

Sakuludāyin and his grup is quite well aware that there is such thing as the third jhana, and they have no any objections regarding what constitutes it.

No doubt jhanas are much more sublime experience than common sensory experience, but division regarding practicing jhanas is not Buddhist’s / outsider jhanas, but that any kind of experience including jhanas are interpreted by puthujjana with terms “I” and “mine”.

So while cittassa nimittam will appear spontaneously in anyone who makes appropriate effort, without knowledge about anatta doctrine, it may eventually transform itself into jhanas, while in the case of Buddha’s follower sudden shift may happen and what previously was temporal recognition will remain perpetually available although due to greed, hate and delusion intensity of this “experience” may vary.

Since I define cittassa nimittam as recognition of silent background of mind, I am naturally satisfied with sister Vajjira description of sotapati: “losing dimension of thoughts”. Now, it doesn’t mean that mind is always empty of thoughts, but that this silent background is known. And precisely this knowledge gives the standard of the right view, where any experience - and any experience is temporal - however exciting and pleasant may seem, sooner or later will turn out to be disappointing, and so the pleasure of neutral feeling, connected with changelles peaceful presence of it, more and more visible and the truth that we not so much experience suffering but rather suffer experience, becomes more and more obvious. And this is the reason why sotāpanna is independent and don’t need any knowledge of Suttas whatsoever; and contrary to certain opinion does not need to be born again in the Buddhist country. Of course acquaintance with Suttas would probably speed up his progress, but this is another story.

Some good monks insist that nibbana is also experience, but this is misunderstanding. Even sotapati isn’t in fact experience, but rather absence of certain experiences which were present in puthujjana. Any experience is temporal, so there is always disappearing of what has arisen, but recognition of the silent background isn’t in fact beginning of something new, but recognition of what is timelessly present and following stages of awakening don’t change it, but merely due to diminishing states of greed, hate and delusion what is timelessly present is more and more visible and finally, with total absence of ignorance is described by Suttas as descend into the voidness.

If one really insists on describing nibbana as experience, perhaps: “it is an experience of not experiencing the states of greed, hate and delusion” is acceptable.

Another thing which is connected with idea of concentration which isn’t appreciated by ven Nyanamoli. I have seen, although haven’t read carefully topic, where there is discussed his attitude towards so called practice of being here and now.

The problem is while no doubt presently it is very popular teaching, the most famous proponent of it, I believe, is Eckhart Tolle. It is very easy to teach… But while it is very easy to teach, really die to the past and to the future is rather difficult, and this is a good recommendation for such practice, since what is difficult to do is usually the thing which has to be done :smiling_face:.

Less humorously, we have MN 131 - 134, as well few other Suttas, as that below, which encourages such attitude:

“And how is living alone perfected in detail? Here, Thera, what is past is left behind, what is future is renounced, and lust and desire for the selfhood acquired in the present is quite put away. That is how living alone is perfected in detail.”

So the Blessed One said. The Sublime One having said this, the Master said further:

A sagely all-transcender, an all-knower,
Unsullied in all things, renouncing all,
By craving’s ceasing freed: him do I call
A man who lives alone and to perfection.
SN. 21:10

Notion “I am” is derived from identification with impermanent things, when this identification is allowed to remain unchecked, we think about ourselves as persons (sakkaya) living in the world.
So we take for granted that we have past and future. But what is waiting for us in future, if not old age and death? Being person, living in the world, in other words is the state of dukkha.

But when things which have past and future are seen as anatta, the state of being (bhava) starts to be seen as dependently arisen on present condition, namely ignorance. And so, dying to past and future is just logical practice the consequence of properly understood doctrine of anatta.

Obviously present is also anatta, but at least direct experience is always now, while past and future require cooperation of mind, (memory of past, expectations of future) and so are not only more easily to abandon -you just don’t think about them - but also abandoning them should be enough for abandoning of sakkayaditthi. To insist: “I am this or that” requires to have a past and future or duration, while sekkha “I am” may remain as present.

So it is a great mistake to dismiss such practice as described in MN 131, just because presently it enjoys popularity, and also quite likely even their proponents may not understand properly it consequences. And consequences are simply mortal for personality (sakkaya), without past and future person cannot survive:

M> : Your order is what gives you pleasure and disorder is what gives you pain.

Q: You may put it that way, but do not tell me that the two are one. Talk to me in my own language — the language of an individual in search of happiness. I do not want to be misled by non-dualistic talks.

M: What makes you believe that you are a separate individual?

Q: I behave as an individual. I function on my own. I consider myself primarily, and others only in relation to myself. In short, I am busy with myself.

M: Well, go on being busy with yourself. On what business have you come here?

Q: On my old business of making myself safe and happy. I confess I have not been too successful. I am neither safe nor happy. Therefore, you find me here. This place is new to me, but my reason for coming here is old: the search for safe happiness, happy safety. So far I did not find it. Can you help me?

M: What was never lost can never be found. Your very search for safety and joy keeps you away from them. Stop searching, cease losing. The disease is simple and the remedy equally simple. It is your mind only that makes you insecure and unhappy. Anticipation makes you insecure, memory — unhappy. Stop misusing your mind and all will be well with you. You need not set it right — it will set itself right, as soon as you give up all concern with the past and the future and live entirely in the now.

Q: **But the now has no dimension. I shall become a nobody, a nothing! **
**> **
> M: Exactly. As nothing and nobody you are safe and happy. You can have the experience for the asking. Just try.

It is worth of notice that usually we are, based on doctrine of anatta, trying to die to past and future. But it works also the other way round, without any deeper understanding of doctrine of anatta, but dying to past and future we automatically develop such understanding, of course if we are determined and ernest enough to persist in such practice.

It is rather an important point of disagreement, since I tend to describe such attitude as yoniso manisakara, one of the two conditions for the arising of the right view:

“This is how he attends unwisely: ‘Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what did I become in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I become in the future?’

MN 2

With let go of the past and future :

Let the past be, let the future be. Let a wise man come, one who is honest and sincere, a man of rectitude. I instruct him, I teach him the Dhamma in such a way that by practising as instructed he will soon know and see for himself: ‘Thus, indeed, there rightly comes to be liberation from the bond, that is, from the bond of ignorance.’ MN 80

the present structure of the state of being (bhava) can be seen as dependently arisen on ignorance, and so while in sekha still there is present conceit “I am” views about past and future, which ultimately are possible only in presence of sakkayaditthi, are absent:

When, bhikkhus, a noble disciple has clearly seen with correct wisdom as it really is this dependent origination and these dependently arisen phenomena, it is impossible that he will run back into the past, thinking: ‘Did I exist in the past? Did I not exist in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what did I become in the past?’ Or that he will run forward into the future, thinking: ‘Will I exist in the future? Will I not exist in the future? What will I be in the future? How will I be in the future? Having been what, what will I become in the future?’ Or that he will now be inwardly confused about the present thus: ‘Do I exist? Do I not exist? What am I? How am I? This being—where has it come from, and where will it go?’

“For what reason [is this impossible]? Because, bhikkhus, the noble disciple has clearly seen with correct wisdom as it really is this dependent origination and these dependently arisen phenomena.” SN 22: 20

So to repeat once again: any kind of formal practice, for example mindfulness of breathing, to be effective, has to be supported by doctrine of anatta. Or just it has to be practiced in the light of MN 131 - 134, since such approach in itself is able to remove sakkayaditthi when done properly.

And unification of mind also benefits from dying to past and future:

Here, bhikkhus, some recluse or brahmin, with the relinquishing of views about the past and the future and through complete lack of resolve upon the fetters of sensual pleasure, enters upon and abides in the rapture of seclusion …

MN 102

While Sutta describes wrong views, we can see that jhanas really appear with abandoning of past and future.

Or in Brahmajala:

“In the first case, bhikkhus, some recluse or a brahmin, by means of ardor, endeavor, application, diligence, and right reflection, attains to such a degree of mental concentration that with his mind thus concentrated, [purified, clarified, unblemished, devoid of corruptions], he recollects his numerous past lives:…

right reflection is mentioned, normally I don’t use Pali, but I think it stands for yoniso manisakara.

In other words encouraging disciples to be now and here, and die to the past and the future is a good teaching, it supports arising of right view and unification of the mind , and so it should not be ignored, much less criticized.

When we understand this, we understand that following observation isn’t merely enjoyable pun, but an attempt at so called indirect communication:

Odd that “now here” is “nowhere.”

Nanamoli Thera

State of being requires localisation: All being is limited and particularized—if I am at all, I am in a spatial world." Nanavira Thera

What of course involves time. Living now and here kills time and delocalises us from the world:

‘I was’ is not for me, not for me is ‘I shall be’;
Determinations will un-be: therein what place for sighs?
Pure arising of things, pure series of determinants –
For one who sees this as it is, chieftain, there is no fear.

Theragāthā 715, 716