Buddhism, the fulfillment of Hinduism: Lecture by Swami Vivekananda, 1893, Chicago

I was greatly inspired by the writings of Swami Vivekananda (1863-1902), a great Bengali Hindu monk and Yogi in my teen years, while growing up as a Buddhist in Calcutta in my teen years. Vivekananda not only brought the spiritual philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the West (Chicago Parliament of Religions 1893), but also the great spiritual message of the Buddha. The latter contribution is less well known in the history of Buddhist Revival in India and the West .

Only difference is that the Buddha left his clan, caste and creed to teach his Universal Dhamma (ekayana) for the benefit of all humanity and all beings. There is a natural change in ‘lineage’ after one becomes a ‘stream-enterer’ from any or no religious path. Buddha restored the original meaning of Dhamma, kamma, and spiritual awakening by one’s own effort and awareness to end the prolonged cycle of repeated suffering and (spiritual) ignorance.

More on Vivekananda.

1 Like