Buddhism version of Isha kriya

Isha kriya is a Hindu meditation but I don’t think it conflicts with Buddhism

the way to this meditation is sit comfortably like how you usually do anapanasati but when you inhale you said in mind “I am not body” while when you exhale you said in mind “I am not even the mind” repeatedly

so I think it’s more of a dehypnosis than a meditation but I think we are programmed or hypnotized to think that we are our body and mind so this meditation deprogrammes that thinking/suggestion

furthermore to make it more Buddhism compatible we can add “I am not the all” , “I am not nibbana”, etc

of course you should affirm that you are not the body, saying you are not the body while still thinking you are the body wouldn’t work so the purpose of this dehypnosis is to simply remind you that you are not your body, you already know you are not your body but you forget this fact and keep assuming that you are the body

what do you think ?

In buddhist tradition, there are 2 things to do before doing that.

First is learning. Why the body is not me, mine? What did Buddha said about it? What are commentaries said about it? What did ancient buddhist masters said about it?

Second is contemplation.
Are the theories true? Does that apply to me?
Make simulated debate inside the mind. Until there is no more doubt. And we have intellectual conviction that it is true.

After that we meditate on it.

I think if we just jump to meditation, without any basis, there will be much doubt and more obstacles

1 Like

The basic teachings of the Buddha reject the notion of “Atman is Brahman” the individual soul is the same as the universal soul. Atman does not exist; so Brahman does not exist in connection with Atman.

Verbalizing thoughts (also known as “affirmations”) doesn’t really do anything other than memorization and is a ritual unless your goal is memorization.

You’re supposed to see anicca, dukkha, anatta, and when you do it causes dispassion, like realizing your finger is getting burned by the stove top/fire and removing it.

Right now you aren’t seeing the dukkha, and when you do see it, when the 5 hindrances are suppressed, you’ll naturally pull back and want to avoid it in the future. Getting to that point takes work though.

The Buddha says he was only able to attain jhanas once he saw sensual desires as painful, and then deeper jhanas by seeing the previous jhana factors as stressful:

“That’s so true, Ānanda! That’s so true! Before my awakening—when I was still unawakened but intent on awakening—I too thought, ‘Renunciation is good! Seclusion is good!’ But my mind wasn’t eager for renunciation; it wasn’t confident, settled, and decided about it. I didn’t see it as peaceful. Then I thought, ‘What is the cause, what is the reason why my mind isn’t eager for renunciation, and not confident, settled, and decided about it? Why don’t I see it as peaceful?’ Then I thought, ‘I haven’t seen the drawbacks of sensual pleasures, and so I haven’t cultivated that. I haven’t realized the benefits of renunciation, and so I haven’t developed that. That’s why my mind isn’t eager for renunciation, and not confident, settled, and decided about it. And it’s why I don’t see it as peaceful.’ Then I thought, ‘Suppose that, seeing the drawbacks of sensual pleasures, I were to cultivate that. And suppose that, realizing the benefits of renunciation, I were to develop that. It’s possible that my mind would be eager for renunciation; it would be confident, settled, and decided about it. And I would see it as peaceful.’ And so, after some time, I saw the drawbacks of sensual pleasures and cultivated that, and I realized the benefits of renunciation and developed that. Then my mind was eager for renunciation; it was confident, settled, and decided about it. I saw it as peaceful. And so, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, I entered and remained in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. While I was in that meditation, perceptions and attentions accompanied by sensual pleasures beset me, and that was an affliction for me. Suppose a happy person were to experience pain; that would be an affliction for them. In the same way, when perceptions and attentions accompanied by sensual pleasures beset me, that was an affliction for me.

https://suttacentral.net/an9.41/en/sujato?layout=plain&reference=&notes=asterisk&highlight=true&script=

Notice the practice is a about stopping thoughts, not creating thoughts:

In the same way, a mendicant who is committed to the higher mind has coarse corruptions: bad bodily, verbal, and mental conduct. A sincere, capable mendicant gives these up, gets rid of, eliminates, and obliterates them.

When they’ve been given up and eliminated, there are middling corruptions: sensual, malicious, or cruel thoughts. A sincere, capable mendicant gives these up, gets rid of, eliminates, and obliterates them.

When they’ve been given up and eliminated, there are fine corruptions: thoughts of family, country, and being looked up to. A sincere, capable mendicant gives these up, gets rid of, eliminates, and obliterates them.

When they’ve been given up and eliminated, only thoughts about the teaching are left. That immersion is not peaceful or sublime or tranquil or unified, but is held in place by forceful suppression.

But there comes a time when that mind is stilled internally; it settles, unifies, and becomes immersed in samādhi. That immersion is peaceful and sublime and tranquil and unified, not held in place by forceful suppression. They become capable of realizing anything that can be realized by insight to which they extend the mind, in each and every case.

• the panner sutta

You need to be a happy person (aka have jhana) first to know what dukkha is. You need to know what is good before you can know what is bad.

Mahānāma, there is a quality that remains in you that makes you have such thoughts. For if you had given up that quality you would not still be living at home and enjoying sensual pleasures. But because you haven’t given up that quality you are still living at home and enjoying sensual pleasures.

Sensual pleasures give little gratification and much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks. Even though a noble disciple has clearly seen this with right wisdom, so long as they don’t achieve the rapture and bliss that are apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, or something even more peaceful than that, they might still return to sensual pleasures. But when they do achieve that rapture and bliss, or something more peaceful than that, they will not return to sensual pleasures.

Before my awakening—when I was still unawakened but intent on awakening—I too clearly saw with right wisdom that: ‘Sensual pleasures give little gratification and much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks.’ But so long as I didn’t achieve the rapture and bliss that are apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, or something even more peaceful than that, I didn’t announce that I would not return to sensual pleasures. But when I did achieve that rapture and bliss, or something more peaceful than that, I announced that I would not return to sensual pleasures.

• mn 14
2 Likes

that meditation have made people to astral project so I don’t think your saying “doesn’t really do anything” has a substance

furthermore affirmation is part of mindfulness you mindfully remember you are not your body

logically you are not what you own

meditation= samatha
dehypnosis= insight

This is the correct approach.

“Monks, there are these four perversions of perception, perversions of mind, perversions of view. Which four? ‘Constant’ with regard to the inconstant is a perversion of perception, a perversion of mind, a perversion of view. ‘Pleasant’ with regard to the stressful… ‘Self’ with regard to not-self… ‘Attractive’ with regard to the unattractive is a perversion of perception, a perversion of mind, a perversion of view. These are the four perversions of perception, perversions of mind, perversions of view.”—AN 4.49

Perceptions and thoughts arise from view, so changing views is the essential task. This is accomplished by actual investigation of the effects of thoughts (MN 19).
Whether a practitioner uses affirmation or investigation depends on the strength of the unwholesome thought.

1 Like

According to MN 20, forcing a wholesome thought is good for trying to remove an unwholesome thought, like removing one peg with another, but according to MN 19, forcing wholesome thoughts tire the body, and a disturbed mind is far from samadhi.

So it seems the only utility wholesome thoughts have is for removing unwholesome thoughts if the other methods in MN 20 don’t work.

And as I remained thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, thinking imbued with renunciation arose in me. I discerned that 'Thinking imbued with renunciation has arisen in me; and that leads neither to my own affliction, nor to the affliction of others, nor to the affliction of both. It fosters discernment, promotes lack of vexation, & leads to Unbinding. If I were to think & ponder in line with that even for a night… even for a day… even for a day & night, I do not envision any danger that would come from it, except that thinking & pondering a long time would tire the body. When the body is tired, the mind is disturbed; and a disturbed mind is far from concentration.’ So I steadied my mind right within, settled, unified, & concentrated it. Why is that? So that my mind would not be disturbed.

1 Like