Can SuttaCentral make YouTube channel like this video?

Can SuttaCentral make it’s own YouTube channel like this video that I have made?

Text, voice, and title together. Microsoft Edge allows text to speech in laptops.

Can someone suggest this to SuttaCentral? What do you think of this video example?

2 Likes

I wonder if Voice has an option to highlight text during speech. Perhaps @karl_lew could comment?

2 Likes

Microsoft edge is the default browser in new laptops. It reads saved pdf file just by clicking “read aloud” icon. Highlighting text as it reads is its default function.

It has many voices of different countries including Australia, Europe, Ireland, India, Canada and USA.

I simply record my laptop screen as it reads aloud using a screen recorder app from HP store. Then I uploaded it to YouTube.

1 Like

Hi Biren,

There is a team here that has been working on a system called Voice that uses the texts directly to convert to speech. See:

I don’t know if has the capability of highlighting the words as it reads, as in your example, but that would actually be really useful, particularly for the Pali.

You can click on the speaker icon that appears for any sutta: SuttaCentral

3 Likes

In terms of doctrine AN 10. 60 is a case of insight preceding tranquillity. A series of other perceptions precedes breath meditation. This order is also seen in the factors of awakening and MN 19. In the Anapanasati sutta also, the first and second tetrads teach investigation (the second factor of awakening) followed by relaxation. Because the patient is ill, these other perceptions are not preparing the mind for breath meditation as in MN 62, but their insight is the main focus and breath meditation performs calming.

1 Like

Because of the limitations of Voice, Anagarika Sabbamitta and I have been working on a new project. That new project is EBT-Site, which does highlight and read out text in a much friendlier way than Voice’s own audio player. EBT-Site also allows us to share links to individual segments such as mn56/en/sujato:2.1

EBT-SIte also works on touch devices such as iPad or phones. Although TTS technology is becoming broadly available, only Voice and EBT-Site have a Pali narrator. We’re still working on it, but EBT-Site is open for all to use right now as is.

EBT-Sites also can be cloned and have full support for Markdown wikis, so you can create Dhamma notes for yourself and others. There are no fees or advertisements. It’s just Dhamma to read and hear.

Voice.suttacentral.net is still the main audio site and as features we haven’t yet brought over to EBT-Site. Perhaps one of these sister sites may work for you.

8 Likes

Last year I wrote code that produces video like this, turning a recording of Bhante Sujato’s translations into a YouTube video with subtitles in Pali and English - may need to enable closed captions:

Also can produce with burned-in subtitles and video at mobile screen sizes, for sharing on non-youtube.

I stopped working on this mostly because I ran out of leisure time, plus most people I asked who weren’t already acquainted kept thinking there was some relationship of the forest imagery to the words hah.

So I thought maybe I should craft images of the sutta interlocutors or similar, but I am no artist!

I recently resigned from my job as it got far far too busy, and plan to resume this project in August - September. If @karl_lew is okay with it, I could experiment with creating the video from ebt-site or sc-voice instead, they’re looking great :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

This is beautiful!

Please feel free to use whatever you like. EBT-Site is still under development, but it has already quite nicely grown by now. There are still a few things we want to implement; one of which is storing the sound files in free repositories on GitHub. So if the storage location changes, this may matter for you.

In any case, Voice is the past(?), EBT-Site is the future!

(And you may notice that both websites also have Bhante Sujato’s voice for those Suttas that have already been recorded—thanks to your preparation. :wink: :pray:)

3 Likes

Fantastic idea! :open_mouth:

And for images, Dhamma Doodles are just so apropos. :heart:

And…

EBT-Sites rely heavily on examples. If we had an image for each example, then the video could show the image of the example when the example shows up in the sutta. So if “root of suffering” occurs in the current segment, then show the associated image. Our goal is to have at least one example phrase in all key suttas. Alternatively, images could be indexed by Pali phrase so that videos could be generated for all languages.

Video and You-Tube in particular are highly effective teaching tools. I actually personally prefer You-Tube to Wikipedia, which I rarely use except for looking up people in the news.

2 Likes

Where are these audio recordings of Suttas being read?