Causes Leading to Decline of Buddho Dharmo in India

Why Buddhism got almost completely wiped out from its land of birth - India? The causes are many but hardly discussed in public schools, history classes or academia in India. Growing up in Calcutta, India I did not see another Buddhist kid in any of my grade school or college classes. It was that rare.
I knew a few of the top 10 reasons for the decline of Buddhism in India mentioned in this youtube. Some of the reasons are completely new to me.

Bengali culture and language was highly influenced by Buddhism. See article “The History and Heritage of the Buddhist Diffusion in Boṅgabhūmi (Land of Bengal)” . Interested to know your thoughts.

Adding a quote from Suttas as the thread was closed for a good reason.

“Kassapa, when beings are degenerating and the true Dhamma is disappearing, there are more training rules and yet fewer monks established in final gnosis. There is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world. Just as there is no disappearance of gold as long as a counterfeit of gold has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of gold when a counterfeit of gold has arisen in the world, in the same way there is no disappearance of the true Dhamma as long as a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has not arisen in the world, but there is the disappearance of the true Dhamma when a counterfeit of the true Dhamma has arisen in the world.”

“… these five qualities tend to the stability, the non-confusion, the non-disappearance of the true Dhamma. Which five? There is the case where the monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers live with respect, with deference, for the Teacher. They live with respect, with deference, for the Dhamma… for the Sangha… for the Training… for concentration. These are the five qualities that tend to the stability, the non-confusion, the non-disappearance of the true Dhamma.” - Saddhammapatirupaka Sutta, SN16.13 (Thanissaro)

The Buddha Dhamma would probably get wiped anywhere it exists shortly after the Buddha’s death. He had to constantly correct people while he was alive, couldn’t imagine how fast it became obscured after his death.

People need their rituals like kids need toys, otherwise life without an escape becomes too unbearable to handle.

1 Like

I’m accepting the Buddha at his word there because of his wisdom, I never implied that I had direct experience of it… You say you err on the side of integrity as opposed to the side of “arrogance” and then claim to speak for the Buddha in response to a seemingly intentional misinterpretation of what I said… I can tell we have no business communicating with each other at this point so I’m just going to leave it at that.

1 Like

It feels like this thread has veered away from the original post, but I wanted to comment on this briefly.

The Buddha would certainly not say what you are proposing. If someone had right view, he would not challenge someone to question it. At least I’m not aware of any cases where he did. Perhaps that would be worthy of a new thread.

2 Likes