Chanting the Triple Gem, in addition Friends, Generosity, & Deities (MN7 and AN 11.11-13)

I am sure that we all know the following verses that recollect the Triple Gem.

Recollection of the Triple Gem (MN 7)
Itipi so bhagavā arahaṁ sammāsambuddho
The Tathāgata is the Pure One, the Perfectly Enlightened One,
vijjācaraṇasampanno sugato lokavidū
he is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Accomplished One, the Knower of the
worlds.
anuttaro purisadammasārathi satthā devamanussānaṁ buddho bhagavā’ti.
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained. He is teacher of gods and humans. He is awake and holy.
Svākkhāto bhagavatā dhammo
The Dhamma is well expounded by the Blessed One,
sandiṭṭhiko akāliko ehipassiko
apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
opaneyyiko paccattaṁ veditabbo viññūhī’ti.
leading inwards, to be experienced individually by the wise.
Suppaṭipanno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho,
They are the Blessed One’s disciples, who have practiced well,
ujuppaṭipanno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho,
who have practiced directly,
ñāyappaṭipanno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho,
who have practiced insightfully,
sāmīcippaṭipanno bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho,
those who practice with integrity—
yadidaṁ cattāri purisayugāni, aṭṭha purisapuggalā.
that is the four pairs, the eight kinds of noble beings—
Esa bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho
these are the Blessed One’s disciples,
āhuneyyo pāhuneyyo dakkhiṇeyyo añjalikaraṇīyo,
such ones are worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, worthy of respect;
anuttaraṁ puññakkhettaṁ lokassā’ti.
they give occasion for incomparable goodness to arise in the world.

In addition to the verses that are often repeated I also found these verses in the Anguttara Nikaya, given to Mahanama (AN 11.11-12) and Nandiya (AN 11.13) in for recollection in addition to the Triple Gem. So that there are a total of six qualities to be recollected according to these verses.

From AN 11.13
I’m fortunate, so very fortunate,
‘lābhā vata me, suladdhaṃ vata me,
to have good friends who advise and instruct me out of kindness and compassion.’
yassa me kalyāṇamittā anukampakā atthakāmā ovādakā anusāsakā’ti.
I’m so fortunate, so very fortunate.
‘lābhā vata me, suladdhaṃ vata me,
Among people with hearts full of the stain of stinginess I live at home rid of stinginess, freely generous, open-handed, loving to let go, committed to charity, loving to give and to share.’
yohaṃ maccheramalapariyuṭṭhitāya pajāya vigatamalamaccherena cetasā agāraṃ ajjhāvasāmi muttacāgo payatapāṇi vossaggarato yācayogo dānasaṃvibhāgarato’ti.
There are deities who, surpassing the company of deities that consume solid food, are reborn in a certain host of mind-made deities. They don’t see in themselves anything more to do, or anything that needs improvement.’
‘yā devatā atikkammeva kabaḷīkārāhārabhakkhānaṃ devatānaṃ sahabyataṃ aññataraṃ manomayaṃ
kāyaṃ upapannā, tā karaṇīyaṃ attano na samanupassanti katassa vā paticayaṃ’.

Why are these three qualities of friendship, generosity, and deity respect added to the verses that are often chanted today?
Are they used in specific circumstances that one recollects their good friends, generosity, and the deities together with the Triple Gem?
Is there a connection to other suttas that connect these three qualities in a similar way?

2 Likes

Are you sure that some of the material in [square brackets] in the Pāli corresponds with the material in [square brackets] in English?

I think [dhammo] should be in the brackets in the first example here, for instance, and [sāvakasaṅgho] in the second instead of [suppaṭipanno], but I’m hardly an expert.

1 Like

I got the first quote from the Tilorien Chanting book. I didn’t do any of the formatting. I think the brackets are meant for the lead chanter to start the verse, not indicate a direct word for word translation. I think that’s why it’s not bracketed to match the correct words.

In hindsight I probably should have copied both versions from SuttaCentral to keep the formatting the same. I removed all the brackets to make it less confusing.

1 Like

“Why are these three qualities of friendship, generosity, and deity respect added to the verses that are often chanted today?”
The Sutta texts imply these are added to make you feel good about yourself/secure about your future and put you in a good state of mind for meditation.

“Are they used in specific circumstances that one recollects their good friends, generosity, and the deities together with the Triple Gem?”
Not sure if these additional recollections are used while chanting or for other occasions in Buddhist countries… I would also like to know this…

“Is there a connection to other suttas that connect these three qualities in a similar way?”
Please refer to this Sutta where a different version of Recollecting Devas is mentioned:

“When those deities passed away from here, they were reborn there because of their faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom. I, too, have the same kind of faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom.”
This version of recollecting Devas seems more in line with the recollections on one’s generosity (caga), conduct (sila) and friends (kalyanamitta)…

1 Like