Corona Dhamma2 - CHILDREN'S Resources

Indeed the OP was very inclusive and clear.

3 Likes

This week I started emailing friends who are under quarentine/shelter-in-place restrictions. It occurred to me that letter writing and picture-making activities for those under these restrictions might be excellent for children, teens, and adults. Could be done once or repeatedly, if interest developed.
If not in the same locale, I recommend email (as it cannot spread covid-19) or Duo or Zoom or other electronic media.
But in the same household, actual letters and pictures could be delivered, perhaps posted on refrigerators or bulletin boards.
It’s a great way to focus on the care and positivity one wishes to share, maybe even a practice and gift of metta.

I still recall (vaguely for content, but clearly for impact) receiving letters from my parents during a high school retreat; all the parents were asked to write a letter of encouragement, acknowledgement, and positivity; the impact was profound.

Growing herbs microgreens might another practical activity, to contribute to helping the family. (Some vegetables have viable seeds, or can be rejuvenated from their root ends).

May all be safe, and develop lovingkindness.

3 Likes

Just chiming in here, if you want a rollicking story for young people, featuring social isolation of a teenager as a major theme, look no further! Better suited for teenagers or young adults than kids.

Dreams of Bhadda: sex, murder, betrayal, enlightenment.

Maiden, murderer, ascetic, philosopher, awakened nun. Bhadda Kundalakesa is one of the most intriguing figures of early Buddhism. This is a fictionalized account of her life, partially based on historical sources.

You can download the PDF or order a paper copy for the cost of printing and postage from Lulu.com.

Beginnings

And for the generally young-at-heart here’s the punkest retelling of a Sutta evarr! A parable of the environment and apocalypse with wild imagery and an array of sick fonts.

This book comes in two parts, just like your brain.

The first part, ‘Beginnings’, is an imaginative, illustrated retelling of some ancient Buddhist stories of the origin and evolution of the world. The second part, ‘Endings’, explores some of the questions raised by the stories, with discussions and comparisons.

Buddhism is rightly famous for pointing us back to the source, inside our minds. But here the Buddha takes us on a journey out into the world, showing how Dhamma moves in time, in nature, and in society. Yet it is a strange and wonderful thing that the further we travel, the closer we come to our own hearts, to our own real home…

beginnings.pdf (9.1 MB)

This can be used alongside a study of DN 26 and DN 27, with the following essay.

endings.pdf (236.9 KB)

2 Likes

This teaching that I* gave online recently to a wonderful group of Sri Lankan children is, due to their active participation, truly a cuteness overload. And there’s also some good advice.

Enjoy! And share with any children who may benefit.

*Ayya Sudhamma

3 Likes