Creative Fundraising Ideas for SuttaCentral

Hello all!

I think SuttaCentral and its community seems to be quite a useful and valuable online resource.

It occurred to me to start a thread to brainstorm creative ways to raise funds for SuttaCentral.

This could allow SuttaCentral to fund its more long-term and lofty translation goals until completion.

There are a lot of grants and funding sources out there which are already being earned by various non-profits.

Are there any that SuttaCentral might be eligible to apply for? Any other ideas for how SuttaCentral can raise funds to ensure the stability, continuity, and construction of this valuable online platform? Feel free to share any ideas here as you wish!!

1 Like

Donate now: https://suttacentral.net/donate-now

4 Likes

Hey thanks, that’s really kind of you to think of this!

We receive donations currently through the website, as well as via some private sponsors. It is not much, but enough to do what we have needed. The main costs are the wages for developers, and it is probably safe to say that we could always use more programmers.

9 Likes

Having started a non-profit organization not long ago, it occurred to me that perhaps a more systematic fundraising effort could help SC fund and meet its more long-term goals.

That makes sense. I hope that SC is able to suitably find and utilize the programmers it needs to fulfill its early Buddhist textual translation goals. :crossed_fingers:t3::pray:t3:

The Khyentse Foundation provides funding for two kinds of projects that might be relevant to SuttaCentral:

Translation Projects

“To continue that tradition, it is KF’s mission to translate the Buddha’s teachings into the world’s major modern languages, thereby making them available free of charge to everyone who wishes to use them for study and practice.
KF initiates, develops, and supports a number of ongoing and constantly evolving programs to carry out that mission by collaborating with other organizations and individual translators who share our aspiration.
KF now funds the translation and dissemination of Buddhist texts in Polish, Ukrainian, and Mongolian, among many other languages.”

Text Preservation

Khyentse Foundation supports organizations and individuals engaged in the preservation of seminal Buddhist texts in Tibetan, Pali, Sanskrit, and other Asian languages.
Many of these texts contain the Buddha’s teachings…

I hope that applying for these funding opportunities can help SuttaCentral secure further funding as needed to meet their textual translation and/or preservation goals. :pray:t3:

5 Likes

Mmm, this looks interesting. I know of several translators who would really appreciate some financial assistance.

5 Likes

These two might also be related to translation work, if anyone else is interested in applying for these too. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation

http://www.rhfamilyfoundation.org
https://www.acls.org/Competitions-and-Deadlines/The-Robert-H-N-Ho-Family-Foundation-Program-in-Buddhist-Studies#crit

National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)

:pray:t3:

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Mongolian Translations