Criticism of other religions on a Buddhist forum?

I guess you a thinking of Dhamma Wheel, silence.

:smile:

1 Like

I have never seen anything good come from people of one religion criticizing another religion.

I go to Buddhist forums to read about Buddhism, not other religions.

2 Likes

Also criticize them correctly.

Inept and lackluster critiques of X religion are a dime-a-dozen on ā€œBuddhistā€ forums. There is nothing more anti- than an ex-, even if that ex- was only ever a nominal ā€œ-ā€.

There is nothing more presumptuous about a religion than an ex-member of X religion. Ex-members of X religion always have a thorough grasp of X religion. Donā€™t you know? They converted away from it, obviously they completely understood it.

4 Likes

Too savage! :sweat_smile: :speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil::see_no_evil: :joy:

#whenthealt-rightisyourmoderation

2 Likes

Speaking of unmoderated inappropriate speech on a Buddhist forum that is enabled by the volatile climateā€¦ I just came across these

Vast stretches of America are deserted ā€¦ how is one going to stay at the house below (6:28) without a gun?

Not my country ā€¦ not my problem ā€¦ but how is the man in that house going to defend himself from a nutcase meth addict who breaks in ā€¦ by throwing the Dhammapada he was reading?

I fully support killing in self defense and would do so without any hesitation if I or any one else was in danger.

Killing nutcases and malevolent people who threaten others is ā€œwholesome and profitableā€.

Yes of course I am a Buddhist ā€¦ I would spare no enemy who threatened the Dhamma ā€¦ that kind of Buddhist :smile:

I would protect the Dhamma by slaying its enemies if needed :smile:

if a meth head broke in and threatened my child ā€¦ I would blow his brains out with a shotgun. It would keep me in a more neutral state than any harm to my child.

This is what happens when the partisan worship of ā€œfree speechā€ is considered more important than right speech.

2 Likes

That posting I regard as an attempt to just stir it up, and not ill will. And itā€™s also from a part of the forum which gives anybody a decent chance to make a fool out of one self, so itā€™s actually a bit sweet in a hysterical way ā€¦

Fortunately, wise people can make them shut up with insights from an objective impression

/endsarcasm

Can we agree, there are opinions about religions in everyone? If one is careful about speaking from experience, and qualifies that speech as only oneā€™s opinion, it can be more useful than any tacit knowledge. It is all conditioned, neh?

1 Like

Heartily agreeing :slight_smile:

Dear Silence,
Iā€™d like to share in this connexion a related approach set out in the vinaya. If one finds oneself as a bhikkhu against a transgressing majority of bhikkhus one may simple state to oneself: ā€œThis is not allowableā€, and remain silent ā€¦

Mettā

7 Likes

I donā€™t want to make this thread about another forum, but I disagree with the characterization of the moderators on DW. There is more room under the terms of service there for all sorts of speech, even outlandish speech, which is often mistaken for moderator support of that kind of speech. It has to be said, also, that political or ideological bias is hardly confined to DW. All forums have their own flavor. If you donā€™t like it, donā€™t log in. Or ignore it. Or start your own forum.

3 Likes

Well spoken, dharmacorps.

1 Like

Not if some moderators are openly among those who support, for example, the use of violence and the others refuse to do anything about it. You are preaching to the choir here, except that I think that, due to the deleterious effect it has on the community at large, the appropriateness of such speech, if not fit to be discussed where it happens, can and should be addressed elsewhere.

That is where we disagree. I think it would be better that you speak to the person you have a disagreement with directly rather than doing it here.

What is or is not right speech is an appropriate discussion to have on a Buddhist forum in my opinion, of course by discussing ideas, not people. I have not named anyone nor any place in this entire discussion.

Also, as a side note, it is in good taste to stick to discussing ideas and avoid giving unsolicited personal advice to our interlocutors, all the more without knowing if they havenā€™t already unsuccessfully tried what is being suggested a long time ago.

I adore your name! :yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart:

Well you know what they say: ā€œSilence is Goldenā€¦ā€

1 Like

duscttape

You might know what they also sayā€¦ duct tape is silverā€¦

[edit:] I think that discussions about whether ā€œfree speechā€ should be deemed more important than right speech on a Buddhist forum, as well as the question to know where the line should be drawn to keep a community spiritually healthy, is something fit for a Buddhist community to talk about and need not be silenced (which made me think about the above silver duct tape, as in the jocular saying: ā€˜silence is golden but duct tape is silverā€™).

Your image of a roll of duct tape appears to be a dark and threatening response to a light hearted video.

I am reminded of reports of abused women being gagged and tied up with duct tapeā€¦

Hi friends,
Please remember that this is a civilized platform provided for discussion on the Dhamma among good friends.
Please avoid even the appearance of any kind of aggression or ad hominem attack.
Our guidelines contain lots of useful information about using this forum and how you should post here for further reference.

With metta :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you Cara. Silence has now changed the wording in his post to something completely different to the one I flagged and objected to.

Interestingly, I also discovered that ā€˜silence is golden but duct tape is silverā€™ is the title of a song and the last verse is:

"Out of control and youā€™ve shivered my timbers, tell us to shut up
and weā€™ll give you the finger, yea silence is golden but duct tape is silver
silence is golden but duct tape is silver OBEY!"

:woman_facepalming:

[http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/againstallauthority/silenceisgoldenbutducttapeissilver.html]

Have a happy, peaceful day .