Criticism of other religions on a Buddhist forum?

Not if some moderators are openly among those who support, for example, the use of violence and the others refuse to do anything about it. You are preaching to the choir here, except that I think that, due to the deleterious effect it has on the community at large, the appropriateness of such speech, if not fit to be discussed where it happens, can and should be addressed elsewhere.

That is where we disagree. I think it would be better that you speak to the person you have a disagreement with directly rather than doing it here.

What is or is not right speech is an appropriate discussion to have on a Buddhist forum in my opinion, of course by discussing ideas, not people. I have not named anyone nor any place in this entire discussion.

Also, as a side note, it is in good taste to stick to discussing ideas and avoid giving unsolicited personal advice to our interlocutors, all the more without knowing if they havenā€™t already unsuccessfully tried what is being suggested a long time ago.

I adore your name! :yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart:

Well you know what they say: ā€œSilence is Goldenā€¦ā€

1 Like

duscttape

You might know what they also sayā€¦ duct tape is silverā€¦

[edit:] I think that discussions about whether ā€œfree speechā€ should be deemed more important than right speech on a Buddhist forum, as well as the question to know where the line should be drawn to keep a community spiritually healthy, is something fit for a Buddhist community to talk about and need not be silenced (which made me think about the above silver duct tape, as in the jocular saying: ā€˜silence is golden but duct tape is silverā€™).

Your image of a roll of duct tape appears to be a dark and threatening response to a light hearted video.

I am reminded of reports of abused women being gagged and tied up with duct tapeā€¦

Hi friends,
Please remember that this is a civilized platform provided for discussion on the Dhamma among good friends.
Please avoid even the appearance of any kind of aggression or ad hominem attack.
Our guidelines contain lots of useful information about using this forum and how you should post here for further reference.

With metta :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you Cara. Silence has now changed the wording in his post to something completely different to the one I flagged and objected to.

Interestingly, I also discovered that ā€˜silence is golden but duct tape is silverā€™ is the title of a song and the last verse is:

"Out of control and youā€™ve shivered my timbers, tell us to shut up
and weā€™ll give you the finger, yea silence is golden but duct tape is silver
silence is golden but duct tape is silver OBEY!"

:woman_facepalming:

[http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/againstallauthority/silenceisgoldenbutducttapeissilver.html]

Have a happy, peaceful day .