Cutting too much out of suttas

Yeah, no:

We use this approach extensively in the Sanskritic texts for identifying the various kinds of textual reconstruction, such as unclear manuscript reading, hypothetical text, and so on. The same approach could certainly be used to handle the repetitions.

Not so far as I know.

Again, all of these ideas are possible and would be worthwhile. But before you get too enthusiastic, think of spending a year full time work to make a reasonable dent in it.

The only person I know who has done this kind of work in detail is Ven Anandajoti, who has developed fully expanded versions of some texts, including the Satipatthanavibhanga. His study is well worth a read:

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Buddhist-Texts/A2-Satipatthanavibhanga/index.htm

He told me that reconstructing the abbreviated text was one of the most difficult tasks he had ever done. And this is just one chapter of one book.

Meanwhile, there are many other areas we need to be focussing on, which I think are more important. For the coming years, off the top of my head:

1. Translations in languages other than English
  2. Translations from texts other than Pali
  3. Quality book printing
  4. Extending parallel coverage to include the Mulasarvastivada Vinaya and non-Dhammapada verses
  5. Readings of the suttas available per sutta in Pali and translation
  6. Sanskrit and Tibetan lookup tools.
  7. Expanded coverage of images from printed editions.
  8. Inclusion of multiple editions, especially for the Chinese Samyuktagama

Suffice to say, unless someone takes it up as a personal odyssey, it won’t be happening any time soon.

8 Likes