Daesoon Jinrihoe’s teachings on Buddhism

I have had a somewhat recent experience with a new religious movement in Korea . That says they have 6million followers. I was disturbed when repeatedly they told me that Buddhism mainly emphasises on suppressing kamma and that their religion resolves them now.

I wanted to know what teachings could shed light on this spread of misinformation?

In what way? This famous sutta comes to mind:

in a future time there will be mendicants who won’t want to listen when discourses spoken by the Realized One—deep, profound, transcendent, dealing with emptiness—are being recited. They won’t pay attention or apply their minds to understand them, nor will they think those teachings are worth learning and memorizing.

But when discourses composed by poets—poetry, with fancy words and phrases, composed by outsiders or spoken by disciples—are being recited they will want to listen. They’ll pay attention and apply their minds to understand them, and they’ll think those teachings are worth learning and memorizing.
~ SN 20.7

2 Likes

A reminder to please continue to abide by the forum guidelines, especially avoiding expressing angst against a teacher and avoiding discussion of personal practice. Thanks so much!

5 Likes