Daily ReadingFaithfully đŸŒ± Meeting the Buddha Every Day with a Sutta by Email

Have you posted a blurb at https://www.dhammawheel.com ?

2 Likes

Yes, there is a thread there. Thanks.

Thank you for your efforts, Bhante. I think you should take a long-term view. The presentation is carefully and beautifully done, so people with some interest will join as they come across it. Perhaps putting the twitter and facebook links on the emails and daily readings on the site might speed up that process, as users are more likely to click and follow, and perhaps retweet/share.

3 Likes

Very good email. Please share this.

1 Like

The topic for the month of July will be:

Listening to and learning the Dhamma: What were the Buddha’s instructions

Please tell your friends if you find the daily.readingfaithfully.org emails to be beneficial.

5 Likes

I just looked at the recent email announcing the topic for the next month. The last sentence is

Most suttas will also have a link to a high quality computer generated recording from Voice.SuttaCentral.org.

This link does unfortunately lead nowhere, for it’s voice.suttacentral.net, not org.

(I haven’t tested any Voice links in the daily emails so far, maybe it has been the wrong one all the time.)

3 Likes

The sutta link in the immediately previous email was fine, but I didn’t check them all

:man_facepalming:t2:

#1 rule for publishing links
 always copy paste from the url bar. Fortunately(??) a big chunk of that mailing failed and I saw your correction before I resent the failed emails.

I use a script ( a bookmarklet, actually) to generate the voice link in the dail email. So that removes the “weakest link” in the process, namely, me! Thanks as always.

1 Like

Does anyone still use Tumblr?

https://dailysutta.tumblr.com/

What? No tiktok? TikTok
:rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t see that in the cards. But who knows. :wink:

1 Like

I ran into an old college friend who is doing media consulting for non-profits trying to spread their message. She said the ever increasingly short attention spanned way of doing things is making that tough.

She has taken to making “teasers” for TikTok. Two or 3 bottom line quotes, to get people to click on media that requires progressively longer amounts of attention.

The Buddha has already done it! The Four Noble Truths is the ultimate camping cup of a list that pulls out into ever more lists and ever more detailed material. :slight_smile:

I can see the TikTok video now. it starts with a monastic with an edgy voice asking

“Unhappy? Upset? Can’t forgive? Is there more than this? The Buddhas said so 2600 years ago. Getting fixated is the trouble and yes
there is something more” Followed by links with progressively longer blurbs until you get to full sized material.

I’m certainly open to meeting people where they are at, but the jump from text to video is just too much work for the potential payoff.

Thank you for these emails. I find them very useful and a nice way to start each day :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for these emails! I’ve already learned new things. And it’s such a clever way to make daily sutta reading easier. You are helping people fill their wisdom buckets drop by drop. Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu!!!

8 Likes

So glad that they are helpful for you!! There are now 670 people subscribed. It’s taken just a little more than two months to get there.

Please do tell others who might be interested.

11 Likes

These emails and social media postings are truly wonderful Bhante. I did notice, though, that the one that turned up today SN46.38, has the awakening factors elided (presumably because Bhikkhu Bodhi had them in full in a previous sutta). That’s unlikely to be an issue for readers of Forums such as this one, but it may cause some confusion for readers who have signed up with little previous knowledge (for which these daily suttas are actually very valuable, from comments I’ve had from others).

2 Likes

Oh, yes, I missed that. Thanks! It’s an excellent point. I found a great wordpress plugin that forces me to go through a checklist before a post is published and I have now added to check for that.

Thanks to you and everyone for your ongoing support and feedback.

4 Likes

August Theme: Thera-Therīgāthā

This month all of the daily sutta selections will come from the Therragāthā and Therīgāthā.

We’ve now got 682 subscribers and (despite not doing any real promotion) there are still on average about 3 new people joining every day.

14 Likes

I really enjoyed the gatha and imagery in today’s selection!

I push through wild grasses—
spear-grass,
ribbon-grass,
rushes—
cultivating a heart
bent on seclusion.

Zen-like poetry. Just felt like sharing

5 Likes