Dark Night stage

Yes, that’s for sure. (And I think the asker of the question was of course aware of it - but what do I know … :-)).

Anyway; while the christian/abrahamistic discourse on “the soul” has its theological frame which makes it quite different from the Buddha’s discourse, one should not forget, that below such a theological framing there is a wide area, where people subsume their experiences, psychic dilemmata, their personal suffering, their observing of causes & conditions etc. under the keyword “soul” without having it exactly into the theological framing. And this area is then one, where Buddhists can show empathy and brotherly/sisterly discourse on the daily life’s sorrows & happinesses.

Hi
Precisely. That’s why i mentioned on my other comment “manomaya kaya”, which is what really keeps on becoming.

It doesn’t seem entirely clear to me what ‘manomaya kaya’ means in the suttas, although it is probably borrowed from the Vedic/advaita manomaya kosa.

In the suttas it seems a type of subtle rupa, not permanent and not to be confused with atman.

There was a discussion here about Daniel Ingram and the things he has said and has claimed. Since you mentioned him, I would recommend reading it.

with metta

nothing to do with atman. Manomaya Kaya : let’s call it mental body, a samsaric subtle body engendered by tanha. Or call it “psyche” as in ancient (very ancient!) Greece. Such aggregate can be improved in order to reborn with a better / more evolved / purified
life( from a buddhist viewpoint.) Or can be totally “disintegrated” by attaining Nibanna.
Now back to the soul (from a western perspective) as an emanation or “divine spark” of some divinity, many don’t notice all the absurd contradictions triggered by such concept/belief, and here’s one example: why would something coming from an omnipotent knowing-everything being need to be perfected?

As for the hindu Atman : the hindu atman from a non-dual angle has nothing to do with the Christian / monotheistic soul-concept.

Lots of stories of Buddhist practitioners going crazy, experiencing overwhelming trauma, commiting suicide no? I.e. asuba suicides when the Buddha had a holiday?